November 23, 2017, 07:18:18 PM

Author Topic: Ronald Koeman Appreciation Thread  (Read 3024 times)

October 20, 2017, 11:28:02 PM
Reply #15

ajax_andy

I do like his bluntness, I feel he's a proper authoritarian type manager and we needed that after Martinez.  He also got the players fit and despite the terrible form the players still look like they are battling hard out there.

Sadly his man management has destroyed the confidence of Keane, Williams, Klaassen and Schneiderlin.  He's also refused to play Davies from the start most weeks despite him looking like our best player, and has frozen Lookman out fro what seems like no reason and at detriment to the team.  There's a million other examples of this man management self destruction too, so whilst his bluntness and attitude was a positivity at the start it's not any more.  I liked it and I do think it has its place, I in fact wish more managers were like this and player power wasn't so big.  However what I liked about it will and has become his ultimate downfall as our manager.

deCoubertin

October 21, 2017, 04:07:32 AM
Reply #16

Thomas

Unless we can get someone clearly better, I can't see the point right now in giving him the bullet

October 21, 2017, 04:44:15 AM
Reply #17

ally2

I like him too and think he will turn it around. I like his bluntness. I think that in this age, most managers probably have a contempt for the average football fan and why not?  They (fans) all think they know the answers, they boo and groan, they moan on phone ins and social media, they dig out amateur tactics and stats, and they expect their clubs staff to do all the media stuff and be all nice and funny/engaging. The vast majority know jizz all about anything close to top flight football and, from an outsider looking in, must be a right pain in the arse. And that includes me.

October 21, 2017, 04:56:30 AM
Reply #18

Gash

Global Moderator
Can't say I'm that taken by him, he certainly doesn't engage that well with fans but that's not really something that's important to me. As long as a manager is getting results on the pitch I'm not too bothered what they're like away from it, a connection to the fans and club is an added bonus but right now Koeman's getting neither.

I wouldn't be surprised or too disappointed if he was sacked but I'd rather he turned things around and we got sorted out. A new manager brings all sorts of upheaval, especially if it's someone like Unsworth as a temp until the end of the season. All that means is we don't move forward until the end of the season and can't really plan anything until we know who's going to be the new manager and even if it was Unsworth I can't see him, BK, Moshiri and Elstone having the pulling power for the level of player we'd want.

Even if we appoint a new permanent manager it will bring a lot of upheaval, he'll want his own players in, there will be others here that he won't want so it'll mean another squad overhaul and potentially another 2 or 3 transfer windows to get to that stage. What happens if the next guy ends up where we are now after 18 months?

Probably a bit 'sitting on the fence' there but in short I'd rather he sorted and we have some success as soon as possible but if he sacked then so be it and I can totally see the reasons why, I just hope it doesn't set us back another couple of years.

October 21, 2017, 05:13:07 AM
Reply #19

Jamokachi

I want him to turn it around, because I want Everton to succeed. If he goes, I won't lose any sleep over it, but I'd prefer the former.

October 21, 2017, 05:20:31 AM
Reply #20

TheTone

Ronald is sound and we're finishing 7th, get over it

October 21, 2017, 05:35:31 AM
Reply #21

Thomas

Can't say I'm that taken by him, he certainly doesn't engage that well with fans but that's not really something that's important to me. As long as a manager is getting results on the pitch I'm not too bothered what they're like away from it, a connection to the fans and club is an added bonus but right now Koeman's getting neither.

I wouldn't be surprised or too disappointed if he was sacked but I'd rather he turned things around and we got sorted out. A new manager brings all sorts of upheaval, especially if it's someone like Unsworth as a temp until the end of the season. All that means is we don't move forward until the end of the season and can't really plan anything until we know who's going to be the new manager and even if it was Unsworth I can't see him, BK, Moshiri and Elstone having the pulling power for the level of player we'd want.

Even if we appoint a new permanent manager it will bring a lot of upheaval, he'll want his own players in, there will be others here that he won't want so it'll mean another squad overhaul and potentially another 2 or 3 transfer windows to get to that stage. What happens if the next guy ends up where we are now after 18 months?

Probably a bit 'sitting on the fence' there but in short I'd rather he sorted and we have some success as soon as possible but if he sacked then so be it and I can totally see the reasons why, I just hope it doesn't set us back another couple of years.
This basically. Good post.

Moyes had a mare in 03/04 nearly getting us relegated but he learnt from it.

Unless we can get an absolute top class replacement I see no point in giving him the bullet. As long as he simplifies his tactics, learns some lessons about man management and attitude and reverts to 442 and putting a balance side out in their proper positions.

October 21, 2017, 06:57:04 PM
Reply #22

toffee_scot

I thought this was why the Director of Football position was supposed to be implemented and to provide a bit of continuity and stability on the footballing side even when a club goes through a relatively high turnover of managers like Watford or Chelsea. However it sounds like our Director of Football is more a 'glorified chief scout' rather than someone who helps direct the footballing side of things at the club unless Kenwright and Moshiri have given him a larger remit with more responsibility.

October 21, 2017, 07:25:22 PM
Reply #23

SANA_DR0

I appreciate that he's had a shave for the Arsenal pre match press conference.

his stubble made him look like he had hit the drink and cannabis hard, also made his face look fatter,, not sure if he has gained weight from stress or was due to his stubble.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

October 21, 2017, 07:42:25 PM
Reply #24

Ridge

Tells it like it is, used to mean someone who would tell the truth even when difficult.

Nowadays it seems to mean someone who talks a load of bollocks.

October 21, 2017, 09:24:49 PM
Reply #25

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

I think the main problem is that everyone expects him to fuck off the summer after next when his contract ends even if he does do well, so if he's doing shite like he is now then whats the point in seeing it out if he's not the long term solution anyway?
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

October 21, 2017, 09:53:47 PM
Reply #26

Gash

Global Moderator
I think the main problem is that everyone expects him to fuck off the summer after next when his contract ends even if he does do well, so if he's doing shite like he is now then whats the point in seeing it out if he's not the long term solution anyway?

Yeah, he might well do but that's purely guesswork and assumptions. The flipside is given his record where else is he going to go? He's one of the best paid managers in the world and we're probably his level at the moment, none of the clubs above us or a similar level abroad are going to come in for him and short of winning the Champions League with us he's never getting the Barca job as his style would never fit theirs. If he wants a bigger job he's going to have to do far better here and he's not going to do that over the next 18 months even if he does turn things round in the next few games. He could do worse than to get us winning, sign a two or three year extension and challenging the top 4/6, we're one of the best placed clubs to offer that chance as he's not going to get handed a 'winning' club on a plate.

October 21, 2017, 09:59:36 PM
Reply #27

everton1952

Yeah, he might well do but that's purely guesswork and assumptions. The flipside is given his record where else is he going to go? He's one of the best paid managers in the world and we're probably his level at the moment, none of the clubs above us or a similar level abroad are going to come in for him and short of winning the Champions League with us he's never getting the Barca job as his style would never fit theirs. If he wants a bigger job he's going to have to do far better here and he's not going to do that over the next 18 months even if he does turn things round in the next few games. He could do worse than to get us winning, sign a two or three year extension and challenging the top 4/6, we're one of the best placed clubs to offer that chance as he's not going to get handed a 'winning' club on a plate.
Absolutely. I look forward to seeing his Dutch gob break into a smile after a few good results to see us half way up the table.

October 21, 2017, 10:14:16 PM
Reply #28

eyesalwaysblue

Ronald is sound and we're finishing 7th, get over it
7th would be great from the sump we're in.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

October 21, 2017, 10:21:48 PM
Reply #29

Evertonian in NC

Even a new manager that the players don't despise would have trouble clawing back up to 9th-10th.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin