Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 56235 times)

Normm, Macca77, dazfrancis, Waltzer, benny, Alanvideo, everton1952, toshyboy, Tinga, dekko and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 24, 2017, 07:17:45 AM
Reply #255

Ridge

Most assistant managers have shown they can't go from being a number 2. Shakespeare, Phelan, and plenty of others have not made a success of a switch from the shadows, to the spotlight and the buttons. Appointments like Alan Shearer were not serious, he didn't have more than coaching experience.

No manager is really a long term appointment these days and there are no guarantees of success. Plenty of other teams abroad have to not just recruit from their countrymen, but develop their own managers. But we've not had a quality young manager waiting in the wings before and while it's not really common for PL, it's quite successful elsewhere.

Unsworth has very impressive managerial experience, albeit with under 23s and a cameo with first team. But he's 7 years in coaching and 3 of those as a manager and under several managers and styles. Moyes, Martinez, Koeman all came with something different he learned from, but none of them played for the club or started with a deep understanding.

It's not always the best players who make the best managers Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho etc. Guardiola came through youth team, Zidane too, Martinez, Howe, took over at familiar club, even Koeman was most successful at Ajax. The average age of managers in the Bundesliga is probably 12 by now. Maybe other PL clubs might be missing a trick by buying off the peg, rather than developing in house with intent.

deCoubertin

October 24, 2017, 08:41:05 AM
Reply #256

Buck76

I think we could tempt Silva.

He's on a two year deal at a club notorious for changing managers.

If we were to offer him a four year deal on a lot more than he's on at Watford I think he'll jump at that.

He would be my first choice, just think he'll be loyal to Watford till the end of the season at least as they've invested in him well and don't think he'll bin them off that easily....

October 24, 2017, 09:51:41 AM
Reply #257

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
There have been plenty of caretaker managers that have got an initial boost out of the team but it tends to go pear shaped when they get the job full time. Anyone know of a caretaker manager that has got the job and gone on to great things?

Di Matteo won the Champions League as care taker.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

October 24, 2017, 11:35:45 AM
Reply #258

GrantyBoy78

That's the beauty of the Unsworth appointment tbh. It gives us a chance to evaluate him as a manager.
Shame he hasnít got an easier run - or a home game at least

October 24, 2017, 11:52:19 AM
Reply #259

GrantyBoy78

Looks like ourselves, Leicester and even West Ham are in the market for a manager, all from a limited pool of willing/available ones - will be interesting to see who gets it right.

October 24, 2017, 11:52:24 AM
Reply #260

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think we could tempt Silva.

He's on a two year deal at a club notorious for changing managers.

If we were to offer him a four year deal on a lot more than he's on at Watford I think he'll jump at that.

Donít think I want to be offering 4 year deals until we know that weíve got a really good manager / fit.

October 24, 2017, 01:47:41 PM
Reply #261

Waltzer

Happy with this if true, id rather set our sights high and get knocked back rather than not bothering to try.

According to a report from the Daily Mirror, Everton have made former Borussia Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel their number one target as they look to try and replace Ronald Koeman.

Koeman was sacked by the Toffees on Monday one day after their heavy 5-2 defeat to Arsenal which saw them fall into the relegation zone in the Premier League after just two wins and five defeats in their opening nine league games of the season.

The Mirror reports that under-23 boss David Unsworth will now take control of the team for their Carabao Cup tie with Chelsea this week, but the man they seemingly want long-term is one currently looking to get back into the game after leaving the Westfalenstadion in the summer.

The Mirror suggests that Tuchel is the first-choice target for the Goodison Park hierarchy, but he is also being considered by Bayern Munich, while the Toffees are also looking at the likes of Carlo Ancelotti, Sean Dyche and Marco Silva.

Tuchel did a tremendous job at Dortmund picking up the pieces following Jurgen Klopp's disappointing final season with the club.

The 44-year-old inspired the side to second in the Bundesliga in his second campaign, while they also won the German Cup and reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League, so it is arguably not that surprising to see that Farhad Moshiri and Bill Kenwright seem to be admirers of the German.

October 24, 2017, 01:49:52 PM
Reply #262

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Good to see that Unsworth does have ambitions to be our manager long term. It's a great opportunity for him. Straight away there will be a better atmosphere around the place

He genuinely loves the club, I just hope that if it doesn't work out for him that he is retained and works again with the youth players rather than getting turfed out

Makes me feel old seeing a player that I remember breaking through into the first team as a player now becoming our manager!

Come on Unsy, do us proud
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

October 24, 2017, 01:54:57 PM
Reply #263

Waltzer

Good to see that Unsworth does have ambitions to be our manager long term. It's a great opportunity for him. Straight away there will be a better atmosphere around the place

He genuinely loves the club, I just hope that if it doesn't work out for him that he is retained and works again with the youth players rather than getting turfed out

Makes me feel old seeing a player that I remember breaking through into the first team as a player now becoming our manager!

Come on Unsy, do us proud

This is a genuine question as ive never watched the under 23's play but is he tactically aware, making relevant changes etc to influence the game or has he just been blessed with a squad full of decent under 23 players that arent quite good enough for first team action, meaning we have the strongest u23 team in the league?
Ive seen the results on paper but its hard to assess how good he is/could be

October 24, 2017, 02:02:34 PM
Reply #264

Ramjam

This is a genuine question as ive never watched the under 23's play but is he tactically aware, making relevant changes etc to influence the game or has he just been blessed with a squad full of decent under 23 players that arent quite good enough for first team action, meaning we have the strongest u23 team in the league?

Well Letís put it like this, he canít be any more tactically inept than Koeman so I would say that he would be well enough qualified to make changes that are no worse than the dick head weíve just fired.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

October 24, 2017, 02:06:09 PM
Reply #265

Waltzer

Well Letís put it like this, he canít be any more tactically inept than Koeman so I would say that he would be well enough qualified to make changes that are no worse than the dick head weíve just fired.

Thank you for the valuable insight into his style and capabilities, I feel truly enlightened!!

October 24, 2017, 02:08:58 PM
Reply #266

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I would be absolutely blown away if anyone had any idea.

We have probably the biggest budget plus finch farm is flying at the minute in terms of producing talent, even for our standards.

I hope he does really well and smashes it and goes on to be our manager but aside from just having the best team in his league I don't know anything about his 'managerial style', because he's a youth coach and that's what youth football in England is like.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 24, 2017, 02:10:59 PM
Reply #267

Ramjam

Thank you for the valuable insight into his style and capabilities, I feel truly enlightened!!

Your welcome but Stevie Wonder could see that anyone with an ounce of football knowledge wouldnít be any worse than Koeman
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

October 24, 2017, 02:12:38 PM
Reply #268

Waltzer

I would be absolutely blown away if anyone had any idea.

We have probably the biggest budget plus finch farm is flying at the minute in terms of producing talent, even for our standards.

I hope he does really well and smashes it and goes on to be our manager but aside from just having the best team in his league I don't know anything about his 'managerial style', because he's a youth coach and that's what youth football in England is like.

Cheers, thats kinda what I thought. I just find it interesting to understand if there is a 'club vision', are we trying to implement similar styles/philosophy throughout the club allowing players to integrate easier etc, or is it a complete change of direction with Unsworth coming in, even if it is only on an interim basis at the moment.

October 24, 2017, 02:14:25 PM
Reply #269

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber

I'm really not sure to be honest. Just going on prolonged good performance that the u23 squad has had with him in charge and how well players that he has managed have performed. Has worked with Davies, Kenny, Holgate, Calvert-Lewin etc as they have broke into the first team as well as helping coach loads of players to the various age groups of national squads as well

Short but sweet but his match in charge against Norwich immediately brought a positive result and performance where we dominated from the off, admittedly under favourable circumstances as they were an already relegated side and players and fans were clearly glad to be shut of the old regime

If it is just a 4 game stop gap then he's the best candidate for it, if he manages to buy extra time in the job by getting good results and performances then fair play to him

Other than assuming he is a good man manager as he is clearly an all round good egg, I'm not sure what his managerial style is to be honest with you 👍
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!