Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 197641 times)

November 28, 2017, 06:04:21 AM
Reply #2865

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Nah in all honesty I can totally see the Allardyce POV.

Especially if its get him in, whip them into shape, come 14th, resign, hire next man.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 28, 2017, 06:19:57 AM
Reply #2866

Ridge

Also worth noting that Fonseca is rated as best manager in Ukraine, won the triple in Ukraine last year.

When Moshiri was announced in late Feb 2016, we'd made late plays in the January transfer window for Niasse from Lokomotiv Moscow and Yarmolenko from Dynamo Kiev. Might be coincidence, but I think the idea of his appointment may have come from closer to the top. I don't see Kenwright putting his name forward.

Koeman won Dutch league in early career, Silva had won Greek league, Fonseca has cup in Portugal before first season triple in Ukraine. Walsh had success with Leicester, Sigurdsson most assists last year, Sissoko had a strong Euro's. We're a bit superficial, but Allardyce hasn't won a tombola and O'Neill hasn't won anything in last decade.

November 28, 2017, 06:47:42 AM
Reply #2867

Rhys

Also worth noting that Fonseca is rated as best manager in Ukraine, won the triple in Ukraine last year.

When Moshiri was announced in late Feb 2016, we'd made late plays in the January transfer window for Niasse from Lokomotiv Moscow and Yarmolenko from Dynamo Kiev. Might be coincidence, but I think the idea of his appointment may have come from closer to the top. I don't see Kenwright putting his name forward.

Koeman won Dutch league in early career, Silva had won Greek league, Fonseca has cup in Portugal before first season triple in Ukraine. Walsh had success with Leicester, Sigurdsson most assists last year, Sissoko had a strong Euro's. We're a bit superficial, but Allardyce hasn't won a tombola and O'Neill hasn't won anything in last decade.

I want to think you could be right but just dont think it will be. I think the manner of the results recently and performances that have gone have convinced them that we are a shambles and only someone like Allardyce can save it and they can't take a risk on it all going wrong whereas I'm of the view yes we are a shambles right now but if you get a good coach in and buy the key areas we need to buy for in January then the team will look a lot different over the next couple of months.

Wouldnt mind so much if it was going to be Allardyce until the summer do what we need to now then decide between a Silva, Fonseca and whoever else for the long term in the summer but Allardyce on a long term deal playing the style of football he does with the number of fans who really dont want him before he has joined means it could be a horrible place to go and watch football even if we are pushing up the table.

November 28, 2017, 06:50:13 AM
Reply #2868

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I wanted Fonseca when we appointed Koeman, I remember mentioning him on a thread at the time. I think our team at that point could have done with a young, exciting manager, but after Martinez people seemed to keep mentioning 'pragmatism' and Koeman.

I actually think appointing someone like Fonseca now could be disastrous though. Doesn't know the league and coming in to a squad that had zero confidence, full of injuries , a back room thats in a mess etc. I hate to say it but I do think we need someone like big Sam.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

November 28, 2017, 07:22:50 AM
Reply #2869

montanatoffeefan

True. But two of the three parts of the treble in Ukraine is winning the national Nordic combined cross-country ski race.
Everton forever.

November 28, 2017, 08:30:56 AM
Reply #2870

Shogun

Administrator

November 28, 2017, 09:19:11 AM
Reply #2871

Evertonian in NC

Great read on Fonseca's style and tactics here https://theback3.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/paulo-fonseca-a-man-of-style-and-maybe-europes-next-coaching-commodity/

Good read. Sounds like the "idea man" we need to rebuild some structure and confidence, in my view. Let's hope we are offering him and the unspeakable alternative is either a fallback or a smokescreen for the press.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 28, 2017, 09:52:45 AM
Reply #2872

KingOfNapaValley

Great read on Fonseca's style and tactics here https://theback3.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/paulo-fonseca-a-man-of-style-and-maybe-europes-next-coaching-commodity/

I'll take him!

Better than hiring any of the "sacked-9 times in the last 12 years" recycled crap we seem to be leaning to.

November 28, 2017, 10:27:26 AM
Reply #2873

Robber Rodwell

November 28, 2017, 11:00:51 AM
Reply #2874

Ridge

Fonseca's profile is not that dissimilar to attempted appointments of Silva, Simeone, it's further down the pecking order but on a similar branch. I don't think project is going in reverse yet, it just didn't have a plan to move forward. Over recruitment process, consolidation could have become bigger objective, but it's not like they've appointed the wrong person yet, they haven't appointed anyone has been the problem.

I don't tend to bet on next manager markets as they fluctuate wildly, and I've often been wrong. But appointment appears imminent and last candidate hasn't gone yet, I tend to follow my nose on some bets, and I'll be a fair few quid down by tomorrow if it's Allardyce or MON, so I won't just be an idiot, I'll pay for my stupidity.

Our problems are deep, but we're out the relegation zone and only a 1/3 of way through season. If you were hiring Fonseca and wanted to run him against 2 pretty unpopular choices, you could do worse. O'Neill seems a bizarre option, he had disputes with club over McCarthy. Allardyce publicly ruled himself out after not being offered long deal. I'd be more tempted to call him back and reject him again over changing my mind. Walsh's endorsement is not necessarily a help at moment and Fonseca was liked by someone to put him on shortlist.

Whether he's a bad idea or a great success, I've no idea, I just think he's being overlooked in process. He's the name being dropped with others, and he's the one yet to interview. We've been pretty decisive when we've got round to making decisions, Fonseca is in last year of deal and presumably obtainable, interested if coming for an interview. From Simeone, I'm not convinced the next option is to settle with Allardyce or MON. Fonseca just appeared to be the elephant in the room and at a price that seemed worth a dabble. Sounds like we'll find out by the afternoon.

November 28, 2017, 12:19:31 PM
Reply #2875

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Just not shuffling the ball out to the full backs straight away is good enough for me.

Kills so many attacks as its easy to end up with no option but to go backwards.

November 28, 2017, 12:57:12 PM
Reply #2876

Blue Lagoon

NSNO Subscriber
Good article that, like the idea of this Shakhtar guy. Only concern is will he have sufficient time to get his tactics and coaching across without us ending rock bottom and having a mountain to climb in the meantime? Its a dilemma, hed be my choice for sure and think hed suit the players we have, with the exception of the defenders (which itself is a worry). So do you go for him - or know that SA will almost certainly sort our defenders, wont be easy on the eye but will get us back to somewhere more respectable in the table.

SA - low risk, low reward but as near as you can get to guaranteeing safety.
Shakhtar guy - higher risk, much better long term option youd think but could implode if the defenders cant get their shit together - which I have my doubts over.
(Zoolander)

November 28, 2017, 02:19:46 PM
Reply #2877

therealdunc

Lots of lads on here who want to hire an alleged nonce
Blue

November 28, 2017, 02:30:10 PM
Reply #2878

BlueMaquis

I'd be happy with anyone, for the nonce. As long as it's not Fat Sam.

November 28, 2017, 02:36:46 PM
Reply #2879

Macca77

Change the record ffs