Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 52052 times)

jc400, Waltzer, Risky, Lincs Toffee, sirblue57, Thornton_19, therealdunc and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 26, 2017, 05:57:13 PM
Reply #435

van der Meyde

Look at the video on the last page about Nagelsmann, great young manager with new ideas, came through youth setup, did his apprenticeship with youngsters, brought through youngsters into first team.... It's pretty much the same pattern with all the young managers that people want, came through youth setup, did surprisingly well.
This ties in quite well with what @Shropshire Blue said about assessing a manager's past constraints and effects on a player.

The reason that these youth team coaches have been successful in Germany? It's probably got a lot to do with the fact that, as they've already developed youth team players in to first team players, they've already demonstrated success with coaching both those players and the club's style. They've shown that they can communicate well with the younger players and impart their ideas.

Our next manager has to be able to work well with and coach the players we've got. Koeman's plans A and B  revolved around ball playing target men, giving him the option to launch it forward when things weren't going well. It's a big reason that it didn't work for Koeman at Valencia, for example, where he was stuck with 5 foot 9 David Villa up front as Morientes was injured for most of his reign.

Most managers can't or don't alter their styles too much. So - given the difficulty of signing good quality players in January - our next manager has to be able to work with what we've already got. Our board probably needs to work out what our future strategy is going to be too though, we can't risk another situation where Walsh and the manager are seemingly targeting different types of players.

deCoubertin

October 26, 2017, 06:04:40 PM
Reply #436

Lincs Toffee

Personally I really hope the board give Unsworth a chance and more than just to the International break, we will not find a more passionate and driven manager in those others mentioned, it certainly appears that he has game plans and is more tactical from what some may think listening to his post match interview.
I know there are proven managers out there, but there is no reason with the knowledge that Unsworth has with the club and the current players that he cant do a job for us, and if he does get a decent run of games showing improvement as last night, then fuck it...give him a crack.
This bollocks about we wont attract top quality players because we don't have a top tier manager is exactly that...bollocks, this is when Walsh proves his worth and finds us some gems as he did for Leicester.
Also I really want to see Unsworth in place when Bolassie, Barkley and Coleman are back, as they are perfect for his style of play.
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

October 26, 2017, 06:18:12 PM
Reply #437

boothill

John Ebbrell - class of '84 Lilleshall original

Kendall rated him
The day he done mcmahan when he tried to do ebbrell, classic, right in front of me, you could hear the shithouse scream

October 26, 2017, 06:21:08 PM
Reply #438

BlueForYou

Ebbrell - '95 dog of war
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 26, 2017, 07:46:36 PM
Reply #439

Macca77

Dyche is having a presser now, might get asked some interesting questions

October 26, 2017, 07:55:51 PM
Reply #440

Waltzer

Dyche is having a presser now, might get asked some interesting questions

Out of all the options available hes the lowest on my list, would rather give Unsworth the job till the end of the season if the other option is Dyche

October 26, 2017, 08:05:40 PM
Reply #441

ynotd

Louis Van Gaal

October 26, 2017, 08:21:05 PM
Reply #442

everton1952

If they decide not to give Unsworth an extended run I would rather have Dyche than some foreign manager from outside the PL, and probably unfamiliar with our club and its current players. 

October 26, 2017, 08:29:05 PM
Reply #443

Bluedylan

If they decide not to give Unsworth an extended run I would rather have Dyche than some foreign manager from outside the PL, and probably unfamiliar with our club and its current players. 

I'll have a pint please.

I'm assuming that shout is coming directly from an alehouse? Let's just get the best manager we can, regardless of nationality.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 26, 2017, 08:41:19 PM
Reply #444

KoemansNumberTens

I really want it to be unsworth now. We go down the big name route and we are still the 7th most attractive team in England.
I want our identity to be aggressive pressing football with a club determained to sign the best young players and give them a chance. That's our gap in the market. Ancolotti or his type makes little sense cos he won't attract a single player who any above us wanted anyway.
Unsworth doesn't "get us" he is us. He should be given every opportunity to secure the job permanently. Think there's maybe only silva on the list who I'd prefer now rather than give unsworth an extended trial

October 26, 2017, 08:51:57 PM
Reply #445

Waltzer

I really want it to be unsworth now. We go down the big name route and we are still the 7th most attractive team in England.
I want our identity to be aggressive pressing football with a club determained to sign the best young players and give them a chance. That's our gap in the market. Ancolotti or his type makes little sense cos he won't attract a single player who any above us wanted anyway.
Unsworth doesn't "get us" he is us. He should be given every opportunity to secure the job permanently. Think there's maybe only silva on the list who I'd prefer now rather than give unsworth an extended trial

I get where you're coming from but I dont really see a great deal of difference between Giggs, Neville and Unsworth with regards to credentials for getting the job, with the exception that 2 of them have been laughed out of the forum and one hasnt, because 'he is us'?
Not trying to be argumentative as I hope he does do well, I just dont think we should let it cloud our vision when appointing a new manager as I can bet my bottom dollar Poch didnt get Spurs when he first walked in, but I bet there are no Spurs fans who'd swap him now. We need to remove the emotion and get the best person available as im sure, as a professional, every manager we get will have the same desire to succeed as the other. Also, success builds popularity and theres a reason some managers are more sought after than others, because they generally bring success, nothing is guaranteed but if you have someone with a nailed on track record that wants to come and is willing to be part of this then it'd be criminal not to give it to them over someone that has potential and gets us.

October 26, 2017, 08:57:39 PM
Reply #446

KoemansNumberTens

surely the difference is they failed in lesser roles while unsworth excelled? That seems like a massive difference.

I think the reality is we don't really know about unsworth but we want to believe he has the ability to be a great manager and the signs while nowhere near conclusive from his u23s team are good/
I'm not suggesting we give him a 5 year contract today. Just we give him a couple of months minimum to see what he's got. Who on the list are we so confident in that committing to 5 years of them is less risky to seeing a few games of unsworth? There's very few I think are that great I'd want them snapping up now. Perhaps only silva who I know much about and he's probably utterly unrealistic in the short term

October 26, 2017, 08:58:58 PM
Reply #447

di_guyo

I get where you're coming from but I dont really see a great deal of difference between Giggs, Neville and Unsworth with regards to credentials for getting the job, with the exception that 2 of them have been laughed out of the forum and one hasnt, because 'he is us'?
Not trying to be argumentative as I hope he does do well, I just dont think we should let it cloud our vision when appointing a new manager as I can bet my bottom dollar Poch didnt get Spurs when he first walked in, but I bet there are no Spurs fans who'd swap him now. We need to remove the emotion and get the best person available as im sure, as a professional, every manager we get will have the same desire to succeed as the other. Also, success builds popularity and theres a reason some managers are more sought after than others, because they generally bring success, nothing is guaranteed but if you have someone with a nailed on track record that wants to come and is willing to be part of this then it'd be criminal not to give it to them over someone that has potential and gets us.

Done a cracking job with the under 23s.
Knows the club, what we're about, and is passionate about the club.
Has a relationship with existing coaches and staff.
Knows the existing players, their limitations, strengths etc.
Knows the youth players, whether they've got potential or not, how to manage them, how ready they are.
Reportedly wanted by a number of existing players.
Everton & Atleti

October 26, 2017, 09:09:46 PM
Reply #448

BlueNoseMike

I think Dyche would be a safe and familiar option, in the same way that Koeman and to a lesser extent Martinez and Moyes were. I want an exciting appointment, in the shape of a Silva, Tuchel, Vitoria type that for me has a higher ceiling than Dyche. Maybe I'm more excited about the mystique of a foreign manager, I don't know.

Maybe now might not be the best time to take a risk, I'd give it Unsworth for an extended period and then evaluate.

If we are to aim at the top 6 then surely we need a manager/coach that is equal to them. As good as Dyche has been, I don't get that vibe. In fact there's not many, if any, I get that vibe from in this country, which is why I disagree with you about dismissing anyone from abroad. Outside the top 6, the quality required to take us to the next step doesn't appear to be already in England.*

Take a chance on a Tuchel, I've warmed to this idea.

*not to say there aren't good young managers here at the moment

Silva has obviously impressed but I'd like to see how Watford's season pans out to see if he can be the real deal

Wagner is impressing, but is inexperienced.

Santo at Wolves has impressed me, and he probably has a similar pedigree to Silva overseas. Again, see how Wolves get on.

And I'm not completely bashing young English coaches, Howe has done brilliantly and Gary Rowett was building a decent reputation before being unfairly sacked at the mess of a club that is Birmingham. Just none of them are that elite level like the top 6 have. Dyche himself is good

Our best bet is to find our version of a Poch, a young, hungry manager with great tactical understanding and has grown a reputation on the continent but is not quite at the elite level yet. For me Dyche is not that

October 26, 2017, 09:10:30 PM
Reply #449

nsno

Not trying to be argumentative as I hope he does do well, I just dont think we should let it cloud our vision wohen appointing a new manager as I can bet my bottom dollar Poch didnt get Spurs when he first walked in, but I bet there are no Spurs fans who'd swap him now. We need to remove the emotion and get the best person available as im sure, as a professional, every manager we get will have the same desire to succeed as the other. Also, success builds popularity and theres a reason some managers are more sought after than others, because they generally bring success, nothing is guaranteed but if you have someone with a nailed on track record that wants to come and is willing to be part of this then it'd be criminal not to give it to them over someone that has potential and gets us.
The reason I wouldn't want giggs is the fact he was apparently snidey behind moyes' back at United, which tells me he isn't trustworthy. Would he make a good manager? Probably but Everton isn't the place for him to cut his teeth, he needs to drop into the championship, same for Phil Neville.

I also don't get the hype around silva, too similar to Martinez for me and he will be found out by xmas time.  In the long run we need an experienced manager who knows the league to take us back to being a consistent top 8 premier league team, which we haven't been since moyes' tenure.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows