Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 50295 times)

Tinga, Thornton_19 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 30, 2017, 12:07:24 PM
Reply #645

Lazarou

I find the predictable 'get Big Sam', unleash the 'dogs of war', 'Unsworth's shite' (based on a couple of difficult away games) reactions of some of our fans as depressing as anything the team is serving up to be honest.

We've got the vast majority of the season left and are still two wins from 8th. People need to get a fucking grip, stop panicking and stop assuming we have to resort to lowest common denominator football.

I'd keep Unsworth 1000 times over, before appointing Allardyce. People have written Unsworth off totally based on one half today, which is fucking ridiculous and massively knee jerk, given what a difficult situation Unsy's walked into. We put our best display of the season in a few days ago (not difficult I know).

So unbelievably kneejerk of people. Calm down and let's see how he does against Watford. Even one win at this stage could totally change the confidence and momentum of the team.

I am not advocating Dyche or Allardyce the mere mentioning of them with regard to Everton shows how desperate things are. I am truly concerned over how far we have dropped in the standards we have set ourselves over recent years.

When Martinez got the boot, we still looked like a reasonable team who looked like they could play better with a manager who actually changed tactics according to the opposition. With this team I just don't know were we go from here. We can't defend individually or as a unit, we can't pass in any sort of cohesive manner and we can't attack individually or as a unit.

We have players that are finished, youngsters out of their depth and new signings who look like they don't know what they have signed up for.

I am dumbfounded to what has happened. Absolute disgrace to have fallen this far and this hard.

deCoubertin

October 30, 2017, 12:14:37 PM
Reply #646

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with most of what you said, but this. Managers looking from the outside in aren't going to be looking at one game. We've been like this for 15 or so. It's obvious that our squad is fundamentally flawed, and is a back room problem right from the start and not a managerial problem. No striker, no pace, and a bad defence.

Again, what manager in their right mind would want to commit to this? Silva has already basically laughed it off.

If it wasn’t a managerial problem you wouldn’t sack someone who’d finished 7th the year before.

Silva has been at Watford for a few months. He’d look an idiot if he was openly (or even just hinting) saying he’d be interested in a job that he might not even be considered for.

And as I said you can play without a striker if you set up correctly for that. Re pace, how many really fast players do Spurs have?

And the defence is poor because we’ve been losing games and are still poorly organised.

Any manager worth their salt will believe that they can organise us better than we currently are.

And that’s all just short term. I know it’s harder in January but even if we’re looking a bit further down our target list of players we will be able to sign a striker / players with pace / better defenders if we really want / need to.

October 30, 2017, 12:22:46 PM
Reply #647

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I am not advocating Dyche or Allardyce the mere mentioning of them with regard to Everton shows how desperate things are. I am truly concerned over how far we have dropped in the standards we have set ourselves over recent years.

When Martinez got the boot, we still looked like a reasonable team who looked like they could play better with a manager who actually changed tactics according to the opposition. With this team I just don't know were we go from here. We can't defend individually or as a unit, we can't pass in any sort of cohesive manner and we can't attack individually or as a unit.

We have players that are finished, youngsters out of their depth and new signings who look like they don't know what they have signed up for.

I am dumbfounded to what has happened. Absolute disgrace to have fallen this far and this hard.

If we didn’t look as bad as we do, we would have more points and wouldn’t have sacked Koeman.

It always looks awful when you’re at the bottom end of your form.

Yes in terms of strikers I’m not sure that in the short term we’re going to get much more from DCL and Niasse isn’t good enough and shouldn’t be in the squad.

But there are plenty of players that 6 months ago were good PL players, either here or at their previous clubs.

Just getting them to their normal standard will lift us up the table without factoring in improvements from everyone else if organised properly resulting in increased confidence etc.

October 30, 2017, 12:30:16 PM
Reply #648

bluenuck

If it wasn’t a managerial problem you wouldn’t sack someone who’d finished 7th the year before.

Do you really believe that? Do you really believe that there's a manager out there that can get this exact team into the top 6-7? Even if we signed zero players from now till next season you actually believe there's a manager that could take this group and finish 6-7?

October 30, 2017, 12:41:26 PM
Reply #649

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Do you really believe that? Do you really believe that there's a manager out there that can get this exact team into the top 6-7? Even if we signed zero players from now till next season you actually believe there's a manager that could take this group and finish 6-7?

Top 6 no chance.

7th? Maybe, we were 15 points clear of 8th last year so the standard isn’t that high.

Top half definitely shouldn’t be written off.

October 30, 2017, 01:15:07 PM
Reply #650

Goughie

Having thought about this a bit more, after initially suggesting Allardyce, i think a decent compromise would be Manuel Pellegrini. He was fairly successful at City, is able to attract big ish names and has PL experience. He is also available at the moment so there wouldnt be any long drawn out negotiations, or compensation payments. He would however want a decent wedge per month!!
Im not the best, but im in the top 1!

October 30, 2017, 01:30:07 PM
Reply #651

ajax_andy

October 30, 2017, 01:31:00 PM
Reply #652

Macca77

Nothing will happen until the international break, just get behind Unsworth and the players

October 30, 2017, 01:51:13 PM
Reply #653

Waltzer

Having thought about this a bit more, after initially suggesting Allardyce, i think a decent compromise would be Manuel Pellegrini. He was fairly successful at City, is able to attract big ish names and has PL experience. He is also available at the moment so there wouldnt be any long drawn out negotiations, or compensation payments. He would however want a decent wedge per month!!

Isnt Manuel Pellegrini on about a billion a month managing in China?

October 30, 2017, 01:55:51 PM
Reply #654

Goughie

Isnt Manuel Pellegrini on about a billion a month managing in China?

Correct!! i totally missed that 🙈.
Guess that ends my argument for having him done quickly!
Im not the best, but im in the top 1!

October 30, 2017, 02:25:34 PM
Reply #655

GrantyBoy78

If it wasn't a managerial problem you wouldn't sack someone who'd finished 7th the year before.

Silva has been at Watford for a few months. He'd look an idiot if he was openly (or even just hinting) saying he'd be interested in a job that he might not even be considered for.

And as I said you can play without a striker if you set up correctly for that. Re pace, how many really fast players do Spurs have?

And the defence is poor because we've been losing games and are still poorly organised.

Any manager worth their salt will believe that they can organise us better than we currently are.

And that's all just short term. I know it's harder in January but even if we're looking a bit further down our target list of players we will be able to sign a striker / players with pace / better defenders if we really want / need to.
Liverpool don’t need a striker as they have an abundance of pace and goals in their team. Spurs don’t need pace because the have Kane and Alli.

We’ve got neither.

October 30, 2017, 02:56:54 PM
Reply #656

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Liverpool don’t need a striker as they have an abundance of pace and goals in their team. Spurs don’t need pace because the have Kane and Alli.

We’ve got neither.

To be as good as them, no.

But we should have people (Rooney, Mirallas, Sigurdsson) who have scored pl goals.

Then other players should be able to score too (Lennon, Vlasic, Sandro, Klaassen, Davies) etc.

That’s without the handful to cobble together from the striking options.

What I mean is that not having a suitable out and out striker, or loads of fast players doesn’t mean there’s no way of playing to move up the table.

Not challenging the top 6, simply being as good as the dross that makes up most of the rest of the league.

October 30, 2017, 03:01:44 PM
Reply #657

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Basically as it it’s not enough, especially since we’re aupposed to have the money to fix some of these in Jan, to put off a manager who was serious about it anyway.

October 30, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
Reply #658

BlueNoseMike

Throw money at Tuchel, give him funds in January and don't judge him until next season.

Thing is, as bad as things are, 7th is still a realistic aim with the right man in charge and the obvious signings signed.

We are even further behind the top 6 than last season, but luckily for us none of the chasing pack have really stepped up much. I'm sure the likes of Watford and Newcastle will have slumps and none of the others have looked that good.

October 30, 2017, 03:37:55 PM
Reply #659

GrantyBoy78

Throw money at Tuchel, give him funds in January and don't judge him until next season.

Thing is, as bad as things are, 7th is still a realistic aim with the right man in charge and the obvious signings signed.

We are even further behind the top 6 than last season, but luckily for us none of the chasing pack have really stepped up much. I'm sure the likes of Watford and Newcastle will have slumps and none of the others have looked that good.
Anyone who doesn’t think this season is simply about survival, is in denial.