Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 167655 times)

October 23, 2017, 03:28:45 AM
Read 167655 times

Topper

People mightn't agree with the poll seeing we still have Koeman in charge but in my opinion either now or further on this season it is inevitable we will have a new man in charge and Im interested who people would like as a new manager.  Ill throw a few names that have been linked but if you have any others Ill certainly add them.

I have put the likes of Ancelotti and Tuchel on as even though many think they are not going to come here, they are out of work at present and we might as well put them down as possibilities.  At the end of the day, everyone has their own ideas and might prefer a Tony Pulis in charge instead of a multiple Champions League winner  :P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:46:00 AM by Topper »

October 23, 2017, 03:37:07 AM
Reply #1

Topper

I think it would be great to get Silva the only problem I would have is that if we got him we would be his 4th club in about a year so if someone 'bigger' came calling he would be away in a shot.

It's funny that at the end of last season it was the same with Koeman, we were pissing ourselves with worry he might be temped home to his beloved Barca after 1 season in charge and leave us in the lurch.  Oh how times have changed  :-X

October 23, 2017, 07:37:54 PM
Reply #2

Topper

Another dumb poll, because it somehow suggests we've got a choice. Make it who'd  come and it would be more realistic. Our biggest issue has always been out expectation and it's our biggest downfall. We're suggesting some of the best managers out there would think "Mmm, I fancy a shot at that Everton side. Bags of potential and got money now. I'll give up my good job I reckon". Yet we have a thread asking if we're gonna get relegated!!!! Only Evertonians...

The poll is just out of interest. Obviously we don't have a choice of who we get as we aren't board members.  Its a poll to see what peoples thoughts on who would be their personal choice.

Out of the names on there the majority are either at clubs that would see Everton as a step up or are currently unemployed like Ancelotti or Tuchel.  I don't see any unrealistic shouts like Guardiola, Mourinho or Conte on the list.

As I stated earlier the poll is a bit of fun just to see supporters thoughts and if people don't agree with free choice of the poll you are more than welcome not to cast a vote and chat on another thread.

After his sacking it now seems a little more relevant.

October 25, 2017, 12:14:16 AM
Reply #3

Topper

A top manager coming in: the likes of Ancelotti, Tuchel etc with Unsworth learning his trade with the first team as their assistant before becoming manager if they move on the pastures new would be ideal for me to be honest.

As much as I love Unsworth I would like him to have a bit more experience within the first team before becoming permanent manager.  It just seems to me that a lot of caretaker managers that have little first team experience have got the boot recently after having a good start.  Monk , Sherwood, Shakespeare etc but at the end of the day you have to cut your teeth some time I guess and some have worked out for other clubs.

I just would like him to have a bit more experience and get back into the first team loop as I think he will do a good job down the line for us.

I just am afraid he will do well for the first 10 matches or so, get the job and then our season tails off, we cants attract better players in Jan because of our position and inexperienced manager and then fans are calling for his head come the end of the season and we become a sacking club which hasn't been our policy.

I know Unsy has the pride and passion for the club but I personally think the challenge might come a bit too soon for him as he has only been managing u23's for a couple of years and hasn't that big game experience yet with the first team, hence why I would love him to be the new managers number 2 but I guess they will probably want their own men to come in.  Although if we arent able to get that 'big name manager' in, I definitely would rather appoint Unsworth over the likes of Dyche or Allardyce.

Just my opinion and as we can see by the poll there are a lot of different names that people would be happy with, wouldn't football be boring if we all thought the same lol

October 27, 2017, 01:29:31 AM
Reply #4

Topper

I think its because our game has went so 'continental' with so many foreign players brought in from the 90's on  we have very few top British managers and it's is probably down to the fact they are not being given a chance at clubs too.  Ferguson was the last really successful manager but he had been there since the mid 80's and was given a chance.  I just have to look at the current English manager and think if he is the top man for the job it just shows how poor the choices are as I wouldn't have him anywhere near Everton never mind attemping to win a national trophy.

Kenwright was saying that all our successful manager have been ex blues and I totally get that but times have massively changed.  Thats like saying all our top players/goal scorers/ record buys have all been British players but that hasnt been the case for a long time.  Im not saying we must have a foreign coach I just think that British coaches aren't getting the chances they deserve but is that for a reason.  Yes they cant all be bad but not one English manager has won the Premiership and with the current top teams and their managers I cant see that trend changing for a long time.

Many saw Giggs being 'groomed' for the United job serving along with Moyes and van Gaal but they opted for the bigger name to try and bring them success, a bit like Guardiola and Conte.  In a way I would rather Unsy cut his teeth at a lower division club and got into proper first team action, a bit like Scholes was talked about going to Oldham to do.  I just think in the situation we are in it might be a bit too big for Unsy with just a couple of seasons of the under 23's under his belt.  Im not saying he wont do it for us in the future I would just like him to be our number 2 for a few seasons to gain a bit of experience around the first team and then perhaps move into the top job.

I don't want to sound defeatist but at the beginning it is usually good as its fresh, its a change and the players react however after a couple of months it does tend to become stale.  Im just a bit worried in the difference of playing young players who want to play and progress in the reserves to the first team than big name pros earning big dosh who may have an attitude problem. I just am afraid that we give Unsy the job and realise in a few months it is too big for him and come the end of the season we are in a situaution where disgruntled fans are calling for him to get the chop.

Say in Jan we are willing to spend 30/40 million to get a striker,  with the greatest of respect would a top striker looking at our present situation and Unsy as manager look at us and think there is a team going forward or if we had the likes of an Ancelotti/Tuchel/Silva (even Benizez) Im sure its a different scenario as they would see us as ambitious and a club moving in the right direction.

I just hope we make the right choice

October 30, 2017, 01:17:02 AM
Reply #5

Topper

Even after two games unsy seems to prefer the majority of the players that he had at some stage in his u23 squad.  I know we can't judge him on 2 games but I just have a feeling he is slightly out of his depth.  He is relying on players that he knows well which is fair enough but for me personally I didn't see any improvement in the performance today. 

Yes we played well on Wednesday night but we have to remember the majority of those Chelsea players are nowhere near the 1st team squad.  Rome wasn't built in a day but I think we need an top manager and can't afford to take a risk with Unsy at the present time, perhaps down the line but it is getting slightly worrying with a -13 goal difference.  Although not worrying enough for big Sam, we need stability but we also need ambition too. 

November 02, 2017, 01:49:41 AM
Reply #6

Topper

Going by current results the poll I don't think an Allardyce or Dyche appointment would be overly popular.  I see on the BBC that they have stated that the wolves boss Santo has said he does not want to leave the club despite interest from Everton.  I honestly can't see us being in for him but I could be wrong.

I'm hoping against hope that we get a top manager who will be able to get us going and not some of the 'relegation messiah's' that the press are constantly linking us with. I know we are currently in the bottom 3 but at the end of the day we are only really a couple of wins from the top half, its not as if we are 10 points adrift and rock bottom at Christmas.

At least any new manager coming in has the next 2 months to evaluate what he needs to add to the squad in Jan (Striker obviously) but then again there are probably numerous players in the current squad that he will not deem good enough and will need replaced. 

Im hoping Sandro gets a couple of games to try and get him a bit more up to speed in the league as surely it would be great to get him up top scoring a couple to give us some options as he has looked way off the pace this season but I do think there is a player in there.  Like Calvert Lewin he has looked raw but I think over the course of the season he is bound to come good and start banging them in but problem is we don't have the time needed at the minute to persevere with players playing poorly.

November 06, 2017, 12:49:38 AM
Reply #7

Topper

Thankfully that much needed win will give the players a morale boost that the new manager will be able to work on (hopefully)  :thumbsup:

November 08, 2017, 07:42:29 PM
Reply #8

Topper

need to add Diego Simeone to the options.. lol

Done  :P

November 09, 2017, 01:24:16 AM
Reply #9

Topper

As much as I would love us to get a big name like Ancelotti, Simeone or Tuchel Its so depressing to think we might be stuck with Allardyce, the safe option to keep us up. 

Then again we put all our eggs in the one basket and couldn't temp a striker who is content to be 3rd or 4th choice at his own club than be 1st striker on the teamsheet with us, kind of says it all how we aren't currently a big pull.   

At the end of the day who the fuck were Man City and Chelsea 10 to 15 years ago and now they are suddenly 'massive' that every player 'dreampt of playing for' when they were a kid even though in reality the likes of City were sitting in League 1.

Just hope we can kick on and become a force over the next coming years and taken seriously.

November 11, 2017, 11:22:10 PM
Reply #10

Topper

Rumours today that it'll be Gordon Strachan until the end of the season.

I'd rather give it to Barry down the street and the only thing he has managed is to 'complete' FIFA 12 on amateur.

November 13, 2017, 03:03:50 AM
Reply #11

Topper

How we can say Michael O'Neill is the worst shout yet is laughable.  Yes I agree it is too much for him and in my opinion not what we need but he has done far more than the likes of Unsworth ever has and I think we will do well at a Championship club.

He has basically transformed a team who who were 129th in the world to the Euro's last year and being up to 22nd in the world and narrowly missed out to the Swiss tonight because of a controversial penalty.  This is a team who know their limitations from mainly the lower leagues mixing it with the big boys and it is all to do with Michael O'Neill and how he has transformed this squad with no star players and I know because I have been at all the matches every step of the way.  The feel good factor he has brought has been exceptional and the fans and players have totally got everything he has done.

So sorry I'm not having this 'worst shout ever' shit.  Yes I might be writing this out of sheer frustration after tonight but I'm unbelievably proud about what this man has done for our country and even though I don't think he is the right man for the Everton job I can't say he doesn't have more reason to be on that list than some of the names.

So fair play for mentioning him ally2

GAWA

November 14, 2017, 06:23:34 AM
Reply #12

Topper

Hypothetically if Silva does come in and within 6 months turns us completely around and we finish say 6th or so, is he really going to turn down a club at the end of the season who he deems as a bigger catch. 

This time last year we were shitting ourselves that Koeman would be snapped up by Barcelona but he always said he would honour his contract.  As much of a good manager as Silva seems to be, judging by his loyalty (or lack of) to his previous clubs I don't think this is a long term appointment.  If he were to join us that would be about 4 clubs in a year and a half which doesn't impress me in the slightest even if you are fiercely ambitious, as I would expect some sort of loyalty towards the club who are giving him the chance to be their manager.  :-\

November 15, 2017, 11:08:44 PM
Reply #13

Topper

Allardyce saying he pulled out because we were indecisive.

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure

November 16, 2017, 04:46:46 PM
Reply #14

Topper

Getting a feeling Silva is our managerial Giroud. Eggs one basket!