Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 171304 times)

October 23, 2017, 08:43:06 PM
Read 171304 times

Normm

Unsworth has managed to inspire the youngsters to confidence and success. He needs to bring that experience into the first team. He understands the club and most of the young players very well and can get the best out of them. He is blue all through and I've no doubt that he can make the transition. Let's see until January ...

October 23, 2017, 10:57:35 PM
Reply #1

Normm

Unsworth should be given a chance to bring to the first team the confidence and success he has inspired with the under 23's.

He is also one of ours. Let's see how he gets on ...judging by his past, I think he will do very well indeed. Time will tell.

(PS: A big thank you to Arsen Venger and Arsenal FC for helping to end the nightmare!  :woohoo:)

October 23, 2017, 11:17:41 PM
Reply #2

Normm

Marco Silva is too inexperienced. This would be his third club this year, if appointed. Might as well see how Unsworth gets on.

If successful, as he has been with the under 23's, he is not likely to flit off somewhere else at the drop of a pay cheque.

October 24, 2017, 05:15:24 AM
Reply #3

Normm

There have been plenty of caretaker managers that have got an initial boost out of the team but it tends to go pear shaped when they get the job full time. Anyone know of a caretaker manager that has got the job and gone on to great things?

Although as a blue I hate to say it, but yes: Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish - promotion from within. That was Liverpool's best spell.

When the backroom staff have the talent, promote from within. Everton could have coached Kendall to take over the squad. Thankfully, he came back.

Unsworth is the obvious choice and deserves the chance.

November 08, 2017, 01:02:17 AM
Reply #4

Normm

At this time, it's still David Unsworth for me.

Have you seen the post match interviews? They speaks volumes about how much respect these players who won this match have for him. We need to carry that spirit forward.

(Anyone with a negative attitude in training can go, no problem. Big Dunc has done the team a favour and Unsy made the right decision to leave players out who have shown the wrong attitude.)

November 08, 2017, 02:00:06 AM
Reply #5

Normm

tactically unsworth has been inept

I appreciate your other comments, but that is too harsh a judgement considering how little time he has had to sought out the mess - and it was an absolute shocking mess that he took over! He doesn't have a magic wand to overnight correct player errors, create a balanced squad or instil confidence and team spirit. But signs of renewed belief came flooding back after that win - and it was not just the fact of winning that impressed, but the manner in which they won! Goodison was rocking again - and long may it continue!

To inherit a squad totally devoid of confidence, not playing as a team and with key players pathetically out of form would make any manager seem inept. But, we would say: "Give him more time." He would have a decent honeymoon period. Unsy has shown great skill in man management and has shown himself to be tactically aware at the under 23 level, so I would say he deserves a chance to build upon the recent success and show what he can do - after all, he is one of our own.

May 22, 2018, 02:52:49 AM
Reply #6

Normm

I would like to recast my vote to Arteta.

He will prove to be an excellent manager - so long as he has the main say about team recruitment. He has the right character and ambition for a club like ours. I've no doubt about it.

May 22, 2018, 03:14:26 AM
Reply #7

Normm

Arteta would be a ridiculous risk. Based on the fact Guardiola likes him? Honestly it would be crazy. I imagine all managers like their coaches.

If that was all there is to consider, I would agree with you. For me, it would be crazy to ignore his obvious leadership qualities, recognized at Everton, Arsenal and City. It would be a risk, but one worth taking.

The thought of hiring Silva does not inspire me with confidence, based on his last two appointments.

May 22, 2018, 03:28:24 AM
Reply #8

Normm

Why the particular caveat re control over transfers?

Because if the manager we appoint has any idea about the style of football that will take the club forward, he will seek those players who will make that happen. A DOF needs to be in agreement with the manager (not the other way around) and do the business and paperwork with the same goals. Arteta commands respect wherever he goes - and not without good reason.

May 22, 2018, 06:09:58 AM
Reply #9

Normm

Can't help but feel like the Arteta love is mostly sentimentality, over reason and logic.

Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if there's something about identity in there as well. With the last few years of ups and mostly downs, a lot of people possibly feel like we've lost a bit of Everton identity and maybe the desire for Arteta has a bit of that in it. Bring back a familiar, popular face again and feel a bit more like Everton.

You are right about the "feel good" factor where Arteta is concerned. We definitely need more of that! - It is not without good reason, however. He commanded respect as a player and as a leader on the pitch and now as a coach. It is only a matter of time before he succeeds as a manager.

May 22, 2018, 06:26:59 AM
Reply #10

Normm

But there’s no evidence that Arteta is good at spotting players (or not).

Yes DoF and manager need to be on the same page but a manager identifying the players and a DoF just signing the deals means he’s a chief exec, not being a DoF.

Yeah - I meant identifying 'the type' of player needed, and then agreeing with the signings - not personally spending time seeking them out.

May 22, 2018, 08:11:35 PM
Reply #11

Normm

Like ya dunno what he’s going to be like recruitment wise so why does it even factor in?

I said: "Because if the manager we appoint has any idea about the style of football that will take the club forward, he will seek [i.e. to identify] those players who will make that happen." -

Whoever the manager is will need to be sure that players are brought in to fit the style of play he wants to adapt, so it stands to reason that he will want a major say over recruitment. As for Arteta, if he is considered, we might expect him to want the style of play with which he is associated. Hopefully, he would seek to develop young players like Lookman, as a manager/coach, not push them out the door to develop elsewhere. He would be good for the young players, IMO.