Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 190857 times)

October 23, 2017, 09:42:39 PM
Read 190857 times

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I just couldn't see Arteta inspiring a team

There are many ways to inspire a team. You certainly won't see him running up and down the touchline bellowing instructions like a fucking nutter, but if he's picked up enough knowledge from Guardiola, he can inspire them in the training ground and instill confidence in them, so there is no need for him to shout on matchdays.

And at least he certainly gets the club and what the expectations are.

I'm not saying we should go for him, by the way, just that it's not as completely bonkers an idea as it may sound at first.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:43:43 PM by Major Clanger »
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 23, 2017, 09:51:00 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I must admit I do think it's bonkers.

I would say it's slightly bonkers. On a scale of bonkers with 0 being sensible and 1 being electing Trump as your president, it's around 0.6.

October 24, 2017, 04:45:34 AM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I'd like nothing more than for Unworth to do well and be a huge success, but I'm trying to recall has they're ever been an interim manager that's come in and been a success, long term? Probably has, but I'm struggling to think of any.

If you mean caretaker in the most literal sense, then no. They are by definition a stop-gap, appointed for their reputation as a safe pair of hands but nothing more. Those who go on to do great things like Mourinho or Klopp were never called caretaker to start with, they were wild punts with high hopes pinned on them.

I sometimes wonder how much a manager's early career is determined by these differences in wording and expectations.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:47:39 AM by Major Clanger »

November 07, 2017, 08:41:32 PM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Can anyone name a club that didn't end up worse off after his departure than they had been before his arrival?

November 07, 2017, 09:14:01 PM
Reply #4

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
A problem Evertonians have in general is we still imagine we belong to the "top club" group. Not long ago we had aspirations for bridging the gap between  7th and maybe 5th within a year or two; some used the Spurs model as our example. The bottom has temporally  fallen out of that ambition, and we are now competing on a level with clubs usually despised on this forum; clubs we normally associate with the likes of Big Sam bail outs. Well that is us at the present like it or not, and if the appointment of Big Sam to steady the boat until the end of the season pays off, then we can raise our sights next May to a long term appointment  to manage our club from hopefully a top 10 position, and resume our planned ascent to the higher positions. 

Okay, so let's see how this is supposed to pan out.

Big Sam comes in, we pay him (and quite a lot of agents) a shitload of money, he brings in all his people and "saves us from relegation". So far so good.

It's June now, we spend another shitload of money to sack him and all the people he brought in except for the half a dozen mercenary players on massive long-term contracts he signed in January.

What is the next step?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:15:04 PM by Major Clanger »

November 07, 2017, 09:48:28 PM
Reply #5

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
You are implying two things. One he is incompetent and two he will get a long term contract which will cost "a shitload of money to sack him". You might be wrong on both counts; he succeeds in steadying the ship and his contract is short term say to end of the season.

I'm not assuming anything special at all.

Will he sign a short term contract? Of course he won't, he's never done so before.
Will he bring in his own backroom staff? Yes, it's what he does every single time.
Will he sign a bunch of mercenaries in January? Yes, it's what he does every single time.
Will it be hard for us to get rid of those players? You bet it will.

So given all this, how is the post-Allardyce rebuilding supposed to go?

November 07, 2017, 10:38:17 PM
Reply #6

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Or players/managers think you're a gang of buffoons for courting them in public before any serious contact is made.

And you end up signing someone who knows he was fourth choice. What's worse, the fans all know it too.

November 07, 2017, 11:19:16 PM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Not to mention that the whole public search effectively ruled out the possibility of Unsy getting the job full time right from the off.

As it happens, we probably don't want to do it anyway, but to burn a bridge without seeing what's on the other side sounds incredibly stupid.

May 22, 2018, 03:08:08 AM
Reply #8

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Arteta would be a ridiculous risk. Based on the fact Guardiola likes him? Honestly it would be crazy. I imagine all managers like their coaches.

On the other hand, Guardiola was appointed with even less experience, so he may know a thing or two about when someone's ready.

May 22, 2018, 03:30:59 AM
Reply #9

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
We should at least speak to Arteta

Just to hear his loveable chirpy voice really.

May 22, 2018, 05:12:11 AM
Reply #10

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Why even Arteta? If we're going by good Everton players then surely we should be giving Rooney the player/manager role.

That one is easy to answer: Rooney has always been an instinctive player, whereas Arteta was a student of the game since day one.

May 22, 2018, 04:09:10 PM
Reply #11

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
What makes Arteta a student of the game since day one?

Being tactically aware and understanding how the game works. It's no guarantee to managerial success of course, but the question was only in the context of why Arteta and not Rooney.