Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 149327 times)

October 24, 2017, 07:19:51 PM
Read 149327 times

Toddacelli

Could anyone either give me contactinfo or pass this message through to decisionmakers at Everton:

There is one name and one name only Everton should go for. Lets get Julian Nagelsmann before someone bigger goes for him.

Give it a rest, Julian.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 24, 2017, 07:20:25 PM
Reply #1

Toddacelli

Would rather have Chris Hughton than Sean Dyche.

October 28, 2017, 03:50:12 PM
Reply #2

Toddacelli

Ive not seen 1 post promoting a british manager/coach, so im not making anything up, speaking from experience , our last 2 managers have been foriegn and its gone badly wrong. As with a host of clubs in the league. They are only as good as the squad they inherit or put together, even jose got the bullet and hes the top dog

You must have missed me suggesting Chris Hughton then. I think he's a good coach and communicator and seems to conduct himself well and with class, which we always enjoy here.

I don't think anyone took me seriously at the time, but in that article someone posted about the Sheffield United manager, Hughton was about 5th on the list in terms of win percentages.

October 28, 2017, 03:58:35 PM
Reply #3

Toddacelli

Also, not sure why the "foreign manager" "British/English" manager" terms are still being thrown around.

Are we not past this yet? Surely we all just want the best person for the job. If they speak English and communicate well with the players - who gives a fuck?

We don't do it for any other position at the cub. When did anyone ever say - "Yeah but do we really want a foreign left-back? There's plenty of English left-backs who aren't given a fair go just because they're shit."

It's a little bit ridiculous.

October 29, 2017, 01:24:26 AM
Reply #4

Toddacelli

Didn't know anyone had used the term gobshite in about twenty years.

Type it in to google maps. Brings up Anfield. Someone on here shared that the other day so yesterday, at various times I went to each of the 4 gobshites I work with and said,
"Can you do me a favour please? Have you got Google maps open? Can I just check something quickly please?"

Then I typed in 'gobshites' and walked away - laughing once the abuse started behind me  :)

October 31, 2017, 06:39:55 PM
Reply #5

Toddacelli

If it's to be an English manager: Nigel Pearson

Leicester were already on a roll when he left and avoided relegation after being bottom at Christmas in 2014

Is it fair to say that Leicester wouldn't have won the Premier League if they hadn't replaced him with Ranieri?

Pearson built that team and also appointed the backroom staff including Steve Walsh

He'll be overlooked, though

I like what you're saying but didn't he do some mad stuff like offer out a fan and say some racist stuff?  Genuinely not sure if remembering this right though so hands up if he didn't.

November 01, 2017, 02:09:40 PM
Reply #6

Toddacelli

Chris Hughton.

Done a decent job at most places, seems a decent fella, impressive win percentage of the last few years but most importantly for me he is a coach and right now we need someone to get the best out of the players we have.

Plus - he could be achievable. Don't think Tuchel or the like is gonna come anywhere near us until we don't stink anymore.

November 01, 2017, 02:21:22 PM
Reply #7

Toddacelli

If we want a big name who’d get to grips with this squad and play with the younger lads there’s only one obvious candidate.

Kevin Spacey.

You need to catch your own fucking taxi mate.

November 01, 2017, 02:34:48 PM
Reply #8

Toddacelli

Can’t you tell people are bored/losing the plot.

Yes - but it's all gone so weird in here I can no longer tell which is which!

November 02, 2017, 02:00:03 AM
Reply #9

Toddacelli

Exactly. This is what I mean when I say we probably haven't done our due diligence. It's all well and good to go for somebody who's getting good results today, but some genuine thought needs to go into whether or not their style suits the club (especially the current playing staff). I see no evidence that Moshiri/Kenwright are doing this.

- We don't have much physicality in the front line so it's going to be hard for us to play a direct, long-passing style (Allardyce, Dyche).
- Our CBs aren't good in possession so it's going to be hard for us to play with three at the back (Nuno). Maybe Nuno can use Holgate at RCB and Baines at LCB but that still feels like a flimsy plan, especially considering that Baines has never played that sort of role.
- We have a very slow team so it's going to be hard for us to hire anyone who wants us to play a high line and/or press (most of the genuinely intriguing candidates).

[All of those things highlight how diabolical our recruitment was under Koeman/Walsh. These were three things that Koeman almost certainly wanted us to be able to do and we don't have the players to do any of them properly. We have few, if any, strengths as a team.]

Our best option right now probably involves playing a deliberate, careful style in possession to minimize cheap giveaways, with a mid-block or low-block defensively. We're not going to score tons of open-play goals this way, but we'll be organized and we can punish teams from set pieces (Sigurdsson needs to play), or with the odd good cut-back or cross from decent build-up play down the flanks, or with the odd direct pass behind the defense when we draw our opponents out. Basically a version of how Swansea played when they first got promoted. [For all that money. Garbage recruitment.]

What managers can realize this sort of approach? I'm not sure, exactly. Ted Knutson put Marcelino out there as a good fit but he's doing so well with Valencia that we're unlikely to be able to get him. Rodgers managed the aforementioned Swansea team, but he's a cringe-bag and probably wouldn't come here. Favre's teams tend to be organized and deliberate, though he does rely on pace for counter-attacking. Unsworth gave us a glimpse of this approach with his 4-3-3 against Chelsea (minus having Sigurdsson's set pieces on the pitch) but then totally abandoned the idea against Leicester.

It's a tough situation. But I think it's crucial to hire someone who can get us functioning with a minimal number of additions in January. We can't be buying a whole new group of players to suit a new manager every 2 years (or even less, as in our current situation). That's a surefire path to the bottom of the league.

Moshiri/Kenwright need to have a serious re-think about the way this club is run. Maybe do that root-and-branch analysis before getting into bed with a shiny, new, expensive manager. Figure out what you want for the club and pay whatever price for a proper director of football to oversee the project. That person will be more qualified to make decisions about managers, new players, and staff, i.e. all of the things that we're currently getting horribly wrong.

Edit: Apologies to @GLewis  for dumping all of that into a reply to a short comment.

Thank you. I love posts like this, I learn so much.

For all the years I've been playing and watching - when someone comes out with something like this it just illustrates how some people can see things about this beautiful game that I would never see on my own.

Thanks for bringing me along!

November 14, 2017, 07:49:03 PM
Reply #10

Toddacelli

Had those sort of results under Moyes as well and he’s meant to be defensively minded.

Much better watching a team try and win a game but come up short than watching a team looking not to get beat and yet still come up short.

It's a real measure of where we are that we are arguing about what manner of loss we want to watch.

November 14, 2017, 10:24:02 PM
Reply #11

Toddacelli

Allardyce ruled out by a few news outlets - SkySports being one.

Apologies if I'm late to the party with this one.

November 18, 2017, 05:22:00 PM
Reply #12

Toddacelli

Surprised Chris Hughton isn't on that list considering people like Mikel Arteta, Duncan Ferguson and Mark Hughes are.

There was a list someone did of win percentages and Hughton was really high up, like 5th, 6th or 7th or something. The impressive thing was it was over a long period of time.

I'd like to see us with a real 'coach' type of manager because we've got a group of players here that just aren't performing to the levels they are capable of and I can see a coach getting them where they need to be more easily than a Shouty McRedface type of manager.

March 05, 2018, 10:32:07 PM
Reply #13

Toddacelli

I don't buy the Wenger link but it would certainly be representative of a few big things we've gotten wrong since Moshiri took over:

- Targeting personnel based on what they've done in the past and not taking enough time to project how they'll do in the future.
- Focusing primarily on targets from within the league and putting a premium on Premier League experience.

This 100%

Cannot see him wanting to come here or us wanting him to come here. Only link is previous work with Moshiri, which, as we know, is enough for papertalk. I would expect him at 68 yo with a lot of success on his record, to move into a DoF role or even the French national side at some point as they are both less intensive that setting up every 4 or 5 days for a must win game.

As a manager he represents the past and at this stage, we are still trying to realise a positive vision of the future for Everton.

Having said all that...      how fucking Everton would it be...?       shakeyheadman