Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 163098 times)

November 19, 2017, 02:41:06 AM
Reply #15

Lxxx

My money would be on Allardyce taking over from Pulis soon. I canít see them taking 5 games to sort out a new manager if they decide to give him the boot.

November 24, 2017, 04:38:24 AM
Reply #16

Lxxx

I wouldn't be averse to an Allardyce now you know. I feel dirty even saying it let alone thinking it but this lot need a big personality to get them going again as well as organised at the back and I'm not sure Silva is that man. 

November 24, 2017, 04:45:15 AM
Reply #17

Lxxx

Proper hate the panic ridden short term thinking.

Hire Allardyce and you sack off the next 3 years.

Not if you don't give him a 3 year contract. He wants the job and if West Brom aren't going to top up his pension then he'd take an 18 month deal here if it was on the table. Wouldn't have to move house and he'd back himself to get us out of it.

November 24, 2017, 04:52:26 AM
Reply #18

Lxxx

18 months is 12 months too long even if he did take that.

True but it's the minimum of what we'd have to offer to get him in and a defeat at weekend might swing it.

November 29, 2017, 12:49:09 AM
Reply #19

Lxxx

Can we have Sam on a retainer just in case Fonseca bombs, cover our bets.

November 29, 2017, 04:28:39 AM
Reply #20

Lxxx

2 of the 3 longest threads on this forum have been dedicated to Anichebe and ultimately Big Sam. Painful.

Sandro thread will have beaten it hands down. There was mass hysteria he was signing then mass hysteria that he wasn't. Ruined the summer on here.

November 29, 2017, 03:51:57 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

Much as I don't like the appointment I think it's best we just crack on and hope he succeeds. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is a bit churlish to knock him before he's had a chance to show whether he's shite or not.

November 29, 2017, 05:04:45 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

Not a joke. The panic merchants are getting too much for me. No way we're going down.

Without a proper manager in charge I don't think you can be totally confident on that.

March 04, 2018, 02:13:28 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

Our defence looks like it needs a complete overhaul in the summer and obviously the balance in midfield and attack isnít great either; how important do you think it is to bring in someone who has experience with rebuilding teams from the back?

What does that even mean? A good football manager builds a good football team, he doesnít just neglect 1/3 or 2/3 of the side.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:02:40 PM by Lxxx »

March 11, 2018, 04:22:50 PM
Reply #24

Lxxx

215 pages in and weíre still having Simeone shouts. Madness.

March 27, 2018, 04:44:29 PM
Reply #25

Lxxx

The time is ripe for a new breed of managers to come through and invest in, with money but more importantly time. If you look at the managerial merry go round beneath the top 6 it's depressing, same faces, same failures.

Maybe footballers who retire today are so wealthy and have other interests they don't need the hassle so they take their knowledge and experience out of the game. Whatever the reasons we do need to be investing in someone like a Fonseca as it's clear the current strategy of overpaying for average players with old school managers and DoF isn't going to have us progressing at the rate Moshiri demands, if at all. 

March 28, 2018, 04:47:07 PM
Reply #26

Lxxx

To be honest, i'd prefer to avoid getting a new manager & DoF in at the same time again. Especially in a world cup year, it'd be another write off/building summer.

Couple of posts in here have changed my mind about Walsh a little bit. When you look at the younger kids he has brought in, they're all really good.
In fact, i think there has been a really good argument for all the signings.

But i do think we need to step up/get someone with authority.
So, new manager this year and have a year long 'hand-over' for a new DoF next summer.

I think this is a sensible view. We saw what happened when Koeman and Walsh took the reins at the same time and by the time Koeman left we were still none the wiser as to who was responsible for what and how it worked but we saw it all blow it up in our faces nonetheless.

Much as I think Walsh is the wrong person for the job, unfortunately so is Allardyce, Lee, Shakespeare and the whole motley crue of prehistoric idiots, plus a number of senior players who need moving on. It's also appearing like Kenwright and Elstone may be leaving us too soon, if rumours are to be believed. That'd be a large turnover of key positions in one summer.

Unless Moshiri has somehow received a crash course in football in between being Usmanov's bagman for all his other businesses I think we need some stability at the minute and if we bring in Fonseca, who knows little about English football, it might not be the worst idea to utilise Walsh until as such a time we bin him off. Even if Brands comes in and they work together for a year, Walsh isn't going to get paid anywhere near what he gets here ever again, he'd be a fool to not try and make it work.

May 14, 2018, 01:36:56 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

I can well see us deliberating too long and watching most of the available managers getting snapped up and giving a chance to Artera or even Vieira out of desperation.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:38:12 PM by Lxxx »

May 14, 2018, 03:34:18 PM
Reply #28

Lxxx

The plus point of Silva is that heíll have had 6 months to watch us and know exactly where weíre weak and need working on.

May 14, 2018, 07:09:46 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

The book quote has been taken way to literally...

I donít think anyone seriously believed him when he said it, itís just a stick to beat Moshiri with and highlights his tendency to embarrass himself when he opens his mouth.