Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 52768 times)

Seahawk, nsno, jon_blade, Macca77, sam of the south, Rodenplav64, sirblue57, therealdunc and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 25, 2017, 09:46:36 PM
Reply #420

bogie

if they are not going to give it to David full time then any fucker that will not play 4 2 3 1 every fucking game

deCoubertin

October 25, 2017, 10:20:48 PM
Reply #421

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
It's a strange thing that when we all discuss future managers/signings we never seem to allow for the constraints that they worked under before or allow for the fact that players play differently under different managers. Sometimes better sometimes worse. Like him or hate him Allardyce is a great example of making the most with what he has. Doesn't mean he can go on and succeed by spending billions. Pulis is another one. Mourinho has won it all but looked a bit lost when he had to turn around a failing team at Chelsea rather than taking on an established team.
Overall I don't think the signings we have made are too bad and I expect most of them to improve under a new manager.
Personally I'm really surprised at Koeman's teams looking so disorganised and unstructured as my only reservation before he came was that whilst I expected us to be better I wondered if we would become one of those teams where we were very good at what we did but totally predictable. Like Chelsea under Mourinho first time around. 
The other thing that has really stood out in the last few weeks (as things more publicly broke down) is how important it is for a manager to have enough insight into human nature to be able to be flexible in bringing out the best in players. No matter how much we speculate about the forthcoming appointment that is something that fans will know little about as most of what happens stays in the dressing rooms.
You look at some apparently miserable so and sos' on the tele but they must have something different and better off the screen!
Here's hoping we get it right this time! I want a mixture of Conte (for the fans) Ferguson for the team and Allardyce for the attitude. Applications to EFC!
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

October 25, 2017, 10:28:41 PM
Reply #422

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
if they are not going to give it to David full time then any fucker that will not play 4 2 3 1 every fucking game
Unsworth played a lot of 4231

Simply simply lovely

October 25, 2017, 10:44:41 PM
Reply #423

SANA_DR0

want to change my vote from Silva to Tuchel... I Have a feeling we are going to speak to him..
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

October 25, 2017, 10:54:21 PM
Reply #424

Ridge

@ridge think you're going OTT.

That's my style, offering a more positive spin on a different angle, sometimes I get a bit carried away. But I like to stick some markers in the ground for clarity and context.

This is first appointment I'm happy with before a ball is kicked. Anxiety about experience is understandable, but we all have to cut our teeth somewhere and sometimes the best place to learn is the place you'll grow into. I think you'll be with me, getting carried away in a few games time.

Shall we do the credits to the soap opera thing again?  ;)

October 25, 2017, 11:20:36 PM
Reply #425

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That's my style, offering a more positive spin on a different angle, sometimes I get a bit carried away. But I like to stick some markers in the ground for clarity and context.

This is first appointment I'm happy with before a ball is kicked. Anxiety about experience is understandable, but we all have to cut our teeth somewhere and sometimes the best place to learn is the place you'll grow into. I think you'll be with me, getting carried away in a few games time.

Shall we do the credits to the soap opera thing again?  ;)

If he does well it's a great 'narrative' and I must admit partly I'm not onboard because he's not very fashionable - there's not much buzz outside L4...

but there's so many little bits that if it worked out would make it fantastic - Rooney, Barkley, Unsworth, Dunc, that new GK coach who's da trained Nev etc.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 26, 2017, 12:29:56 AM
Reply #426

gizzblue

If he does well it's a great 'narrative' and I must admit partly I'm not onboard because he's not very fashionable - there's not much buzz outside L4...

but there's so many little bits that if it worked out would make it fantastic - Rooney, Barkley, Unsworth, Dunc, that new GK coach who's da trained Nev etc.
A club of locals and hero's would be amazing 😅.
Truly the people's club .

October 26, 2017, 12:32:04 AM
Reply #427

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
If you'd have said to me in the 90s that john ebbrell would be a future coach at Everton I'd have cried

Funny how things work out

Simply simply lovely

October 26, 2017, 12:32:34 AM
Reply #428

SANA_DR0

A club of locals and hero's would be amazing 😅.
Truly the people's club .

this forever til i die. thats what i have always loved about Everton.. Also nice to see they(the media) have picked up on only Evertonian managers being successful with Everton :D
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

October 26, 2017, 12:49:15 AM
Reply #429

BlueForYou

John Ebbrell - class of '84 Lilleshall original

Kendall rated him
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 26, 2017, 01:26:07 AM
Reply #430

Ridge

I understand it's a bit underwhelming, and I think some went a bit OTT in terms of Arteta or what's Kanchelkis up to these days? He doesn't sound very exotic, nobody else cares, but that's just perception, means very little at the end of the day. Would it help if I said that the one of the biggest management trends in Europe is developing your own coaches, it's about to be in, we're ahead of curve in PL  ;D

Look at the video on the last page about Nagelsmann, great young manager with new ideas, came through youth setup, did his apprenticeship with youngsters, brought through youngsters into first team.... It's pretty much the same pattern with all the young managers that people want, came through youth setup, did surprisingly well. Many of the better managers are coming out of Germany, where they seem to be in some sort of young management arms race. I'd suggest that implies they are not just giving young managers a chance, but they are getting a decent education.

Unsworth went to Largs in Scotland, the same place Ferguson, Moyes, Mourinho and more recently Silva. Here's an article from 2014 calling him another one off the production line, as so many Portuguese coaches go there since Mourinho's success, AVB etc.

We could find the width of knowledge is too wide, I expect some naivety. But there are plenty of examples from across europe, where the new understanding has outperformed the perceived wisdom and often where young ex players have come through youth team management and inherited a crisis and turned completely around.

I've never considered an internal appointment before and I had a few candidates who might seem more rounded. But you can talk about promoting from within, if you're good enough, you'll get the chance, it's demonstrating it that matters. If his record wasn't as extensive or impressive at youth level, if he had issues with members of the squad, if he wasn't motivational or didn't have leadership qualities, we'd have more reason for concern.

His under 23s have had no problem turning over the perceived bigger clubs, he won youth league, several players involved in U20 world cup win. England has some of the best young talent in the world, but the standard to get to the top level is ever increasing. But  the knowledge and skill base of coaching has increased with new managers and styles in recent years. There is reason to think that he probably understands a lot more about tactics and systems, than people expect.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:28:32 AM by Ridge »

October 26, 2017, 01:39:20 AM
Reply #431

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
It's funny. So many times there's been a big debate about whether it not it matters if the manager 'gets' Everton. Roberto seemed to, and that kept him here much longer than ambition might have hoped. It's left Koeman out on his ear much quicker when things fell apart.

Whether the new guy is local or foreign, is already a winner, is young and on the rise or an experienced campaigner who can 'do a job', that debate will continue. He might get Everton. He might not give a fuck. He might realise that acting like he gets it, even if he actually doesn't give a fuck, is probably in his own best interests. We will never actually know what's in his head. So whoever might come in, that debate will always continue.

For at least the next four games, it's not even a question.

October 26, 2017, 04:54:50 PM
Reply #432

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm going to need more than positivity and being 'Everton'. If it doesn't work out we could find ourselves in big ask territory very quickly.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 26, 2017, 05:44:07 PM
Reply #433

Macca77

October 26, 2017, 05:46:28 PM
Reply #434

GrantyBoy78

If, hypothetically of course, Pep came in as manager - where would you expect us to finish with this squad? Just curious.