Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 162594 times)

November 13, 2017, 04:24:26 PM
Reply #15

Rhys

Im not overly concerned about relegation but I think the point you've made is the reason why its the perfect time to get a new manager in, there are some games coming up you'd expect us to win. Unsworth has done okay at best, the Watford game was a good result, but could easily have gone the other way. If we lose these win-able games we could be in the s**t even more than we are and clearly the board dont rate Unsworth that much as there has been no indication that they see him as anything other than a stop gap. We should have got a manager in by now to give him the opportunity to get his views across

Also valid point. I guess it all depends on who they are speaking to and what the options actually are right now and also if they were speaking to people they thought were the right person but couldnt get them until the summer for whatever reason. I'm probably on the side of lets wait a few weeks to see how Unsy does because I'm not sold on the people who seem to be most likely to get it right now.

November 19, 2017, 09:26:35 PM
Reply #16

Rhys

It's just due to position, if we give big contract, we're not going to sack in 3 months if things aren't working.

Someone like Pulis, we might be able to get until next summer, then we can get better manager to go forward.

But the way pulis plays and sets up teams makes it a very difficult transition for a more forward thinking manager in the summer. 3 defensive midfielders in front of a back 3 with defenders are wing backs! No plan of keeping the ball, it's all about defensive structure and hoping they can pinch a game home or away. The players become drilled in that and become used to not playing with the ball which isn't easy to overcome.

We can become a solid team that finishes the season well without resorting to someone like pulis.

November 19, 2017, 09:44:36 PM
Reply #17

Rhys

You get a solid base, and then need to add quality and expansive players.

But this was exactly what Martinez was so fortunate to inherit from Moyes, wasn't it?

No because the way pulis is playing and moyes team in 12/13 are incomparible. Moyes had us as a solid team and was a big focus but that season we had a midfield with the likes of mirallas, pienaar, osman, Gibson, Fellaini with 2 very attacking full backs. Pulis is playing a back 3 and then 3 of Barry, krychowiak, Jacob or Livermore in front of that back 3 with Gibbs and nyom as the wing backs!

They had about 30% possession at home to burnley last season, we'd dominate possession against the poorer teams home or away. It's very different having a defensive focus but playing when you can against pulis setups we've seen at Goodson where they leave 9 people back and hope for a goal from a set piece.

We were already a good team who played very good football in the attacking third when moyes left against a team whose game plan is to actively not have the ball home or away against any team. It's very different to take over th team Martinez did to say the job someone will have to do to transform the mindset and style at west brom.

November 25, 2017, 06:11:53 PM
Reply #18

Rhys

Also AVB is fucking woeful. There's a reason why he's drifting further and further in to football obscurity at such a young age.

I'm sure I remember reading a while ago that he wants to retire around 43-45 so has been following the money by going to Zenit and then China. So with what we offer people wouldnt rule us out as the next choice!

Only 40 now had such a bright start to his career. Porto record was brilliant and did win the Europa League. Tried to change the world at Chelsea and the players couldnt stand him. At Spurs his full season they got a good amount of points nearly got CL but they did have Bale when he had just become a superstar. After Bale they messed up with a lot of transfers but he was 6th when they sacked him he'd just had two very heavy defeats at City and home to Liverpool so something musnt have been right the performances of some of the players. And even Sherwood managed to finish 6th with them so maybe it wasnt that difficult.

So if he is earning the cash until his early retirement question his motivation to succeed but rather take that gamble than MoN if they were the options.

November 26, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
Reply #19

Rhys

Why would Dyche or Silva leave there respective clubs for this rabble?

Maybe because we will offer them between 3-6m a year? Dyche last time i saw a list of PL manager wages he was on £400k a year. Absolutely no way he turns us down anyway, but certainly if we offered him 2m a year even. Plus we might be a shambles right now but if we get it sorted the ambitions we have are far greater than Burnley or Watford and thats before we get into the size of the clubs which still does mean something.

November 26, 2017, 10:29:49 PM
Reply #20

Rhys

Is everyone still horrified by allardyce? Surely him now is better than another 3 or 4 weeks fucking about with dyche or silva with no promise of being successful

I dont think it would take 3 weeks to get Dyche in. They wouldnt turn down the size of fee we were offering for Silva and he would be desperate to come. I'd imagine if we pushed for him it would be done in a week or two max. And I'd much rather us do that than get Sam.

November 26, 2017, 10:31:03 PM
Reply #21

Rhys

That would be just like Everton, throw stupid money at average managers with long contracts and when it doesn't work out a year later they'll get huge amounts of compensation.

Irrespective of that I still don't think they'll come, we as supporters look at the club in a positive light and think we are big, many neutrals and people from the outside would suggest otherwise. Sorry but Everton are a desperate club trying to stay in the division now, I don't think either of those managers want to be put under pressure trying to stay clear of relegation and more importantly work for a bunch of incompetent clowns above them.

Not saying throwing money at people who arent necessarily worth it is the right thing to do. But there is no way Dyche stays at Burnley earning 400k a year over coming to us on 2-3m a year!

November 27, 2017, 08:54:27 PM
Reply #22

Rhys

Benfica boss Rui Vitoria emerges as surprising Everton candidate as desperate Toffees eye new manager

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/benfica-boss-rui-vitoria-emerges-11595987

Looking at his record he got Pacos de Ferreira to Portguese league cup final and lost to benfica and finished 7th in the league in his only season. He had 4 seasons with Vitoria Guimaraes finished 6th, 9th, 10th and 5th and won their first ever Portuguese cup. Then went to benfica and in 2 seasons he has won the league twice, won the Portguese cup, Portguese league cup, got the champions league quarter final one year and last 16 the other and got a record ever points total in portugal as well as record for most ever consecutive away wins. This season isnt going so well they are 3rd in the league and lost every champions league game so far.

Only managed in Portugal so not a whole load of variety to say will do well in other leagues but record in his career over there is very good.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/05/jorge-jesus-v-rui-vitoria/

Found this link about what his tactics are and seems to suggest focuses on organisation and says asks the midfielders to produce a lot of defensive tasks. And that his teams put a huge amount of pressure into the opening half an hour try and get lead then control the game defensively. Another one suggests that he puts a lot of faith in young players so both of those might be reasons why we think he could be a good fit if the reports are true.

November 27, 2017, 10:13:30 PM
Reply #23

Rhys

Given there was plenty of fans who didnt like the style of football under Moyes or Koeman when we were finishing top 7 so can just imagine what people will be like with Sam's style when we are safe and drifting along.

November 28, 2017, 04:10:03 AM
Reply #24

Rhys

The Debate on Sky saying then that 'Sky Sources' say the deal is not done and we are interviewing Paulo Fonseca from Shakthar and Martin O'Neill. Seems too far gone with what people are saying for it not to be Sam, but seem to suggest that is the 3 man shortlist Moshiri was talking about.

Random shortlist if Silva was the one then to have Allardyce and O'Neill and someone very different again.

November 28, 2017, 04:36:10 AM
Reply #25

Rhys

Surely Fonseca would rather stick it out with Shakhtar in the CL?

Especially if he logs onto NSNO and sees he is accused of being a nonce.

November 28, 2017, 06:47:42 AM
Reply #26

Rhys

Also worth noting that Fonseca is rated as best manager in Ukraine, won the triple in Ukraine last year.

When Moshiri was announced in late Feb 2016, we'd made late plays in the January transfer window for Niasse from Lokomotiv Moscow and Yarmolenko from Dynamo Kiev. Might be coincidence, but I think the idea of his appointment may have come from closer to the top. I don't see Kenwright putting his name forward.

Koeman won Dutch league in early career, Silva had won Greek league, Fonseca has cup in Portugal before first season triple in Ukraine. Walsh had success with Leicester, Sigurdsson most assists last year, Sissoko had a strong Euro's. We're a bit superficial, but Allardyce hasn't won a tombola and O'Neill hasn't won anything in last decade.

I want to think you could be right but just dont think it will be. I think the manner of the results recently and performances that have gone have convinced them that we are a shambles and only someone like Allardyce can save it and they can't take a risk on it all going wrong whereas I'm of the view yes we are a shambles right now but if you get a good coach in and buy the key areas we need to buy for in January then the team will look a lot different over the next couple of months.

Wouldnt mind so much if it was going to be Allardyce until the summer do what we need to now then decide between a Silva, Fonseca and whoever else for the long term in the summer but Allardyce on a long term deal playing the style of football he does with the number of fans who really dont want him before he has joined means it could be a horrible place to go and watch football even if we are pushing up the table.

November 28, 2017, 09:30:24 PM
Reply #27

Rhys

Jesus. We're teetering on a knife edge here. A bright, progressive Champions League manager whose team play some excellent football or Sam Allardyce.

Talk about arriving at a crossroads!

We all know where this is ending... hopes get raised then 100 pages of Allarydce fume in the next few days!

November 29, 2017, 03:46:25 PM
Reply #28

Rhys

Moyes was the worlds 13th highest paid manager at Evertonís he achieved nothing but dull predicatable boring negative football

Without turning this into a Moyes debate as they were annoying 4 years ago...he was paid that amount of money because without his consistent finishes we'd have been in financial meltdown so he was worth paying that for for. As with allardyce if we had had him back then when the banks were circling and paid him highly, he'd kept us finishing in positions which meant the club could keep running without selling all the best players every summer he'd have been worth it.

Now we are in a different position where we are looking for something different. We paid koeman 6.5m a year because we challenged him with getting us along side those elite teams above us not to keep us stable. That's the reason he got sacked because that wasn't looking likely. If we are paying someone 6m a year I'd want it to be on someone who has a chance of pushing us into the elite, that's our aim.

You make a good point about Sams sports science stuff though, he was cutting edge and really bought into it and got a lot out of his players. A big big reason why he got Bolton in the top 8 3 seasons in a row. But also might be a reason why now he just gets jobs seen to be keeping people up? Maybe now everyone does that his big advantage he did have has gone so he is just a safety first organiser?