Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 168518 times)

May 19, 2018, 04:13:42 PM
Reply #90

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Ironic, that!

If Arteta was to manage Newcastle for the next two seasons and he gained successive 7th spot positions, would you then consider him?

To conclude: You are all in agreement that Silva will have a more successful managerial career than Arteta

Not one person has said that. What people are saying is that they don't want to take the risk of hiring someone who has never managed a club at any level, never mind the PL, with the state the club is innat the moment. If it was Stoke or West Ham offering MA the chance to cut his managerial teeth people who want him here would be happy for him to do that before managing us. It's just because it's Arsenal that some people are shitting it thinking they are stealing a march on us.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 19, 2018, 04:40:19 PM
Reply #91

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
This guy is living proof why siblings shouldn't fuck each other

May 20, 2018, 02:29:17 AM
Reply #92

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
It's not just a case of 'who knows' though. It's about minimising risk in the appointment, and one of the better ways to minimise risk is to appoint someone who has actually done the role (see the difference between Steve Walsh and Marcel Brands as DoFs). It's a completely different gig being part of a team of coaching staff, to being the man that makes 100 decisions per day, where the buck stops. I think it would be ludicrous to appoint Arteta, or any other ex-player, based purely on sentiment and good looks.

I'm been broadly pro-Silva for a while, but not completely wedded to the idea, if a better candidate becomes available. But the more I think and read about it, I think Silva is going to be an excellent appointment for us, and could well be the man to take us to the next level. I think he is primed to take a club and mould it, and I'm really pleased it's us giving him that opportunity.

I'm a bit like this. Cautiously optimistic

May 20, 2018, 05:23:35 AM
Reply #93

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Even though I'm cautiously optimistic about Silva I have a recurring nightmare that he's a disaster and we reappoint SA. There, I've said it.

May 20, 2018, 05:48:28 AM
Reply #94

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber

Hahaha genuinely what do we do next year if we wobble again? ...Pulis?

Hari Kari I think

May 20, 2018, 05:58:04 AM
Reply #95

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
If silva doesn't work out its no big deal.

We'll have a Dof in who'll find somebody else who's suited to the squad.

Personally I'm willing to write off next season to build some solid foundations.

Obviously there's a base level he'll have to achieve but if we find ourselves 10th by Christmas there should be no meltdown.

I agree. Just hope people give him time.

May 20, 2018, 04:17:36 PM
Reply #96

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Reputation they have gained through working with the best team in the league. A reputation that filters down to the press and then to the supporters.
People haven't just woken up one morning and thought  'let's try and get Arteta a job'.

Or, just to play Devil's Advocate, he may just have has smoke blown up his arse and be part of a media love in for anything that is Pep related

May 26, 2018, 08:44:36 PM
Reply #97

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Brands is seriously considering bringing Cocu with him, Silva is the favorite but Brands also has Cocu on his list. He has 1 year left on his contract and would consider moving abroad, but Spain is his preferred country.

Didn't he (Brands) say he's not ready for the PL in a recent interview? Or have I made that up?

May 27, 2018, 01:33:53 AM
Reply #98

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
A poster on TEF claiming Howe has been interviewed twice for our job. Surely that would be in the news as Bournemouth would have to OK it?