Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 159025 times)

February 18, 2018, 01:28:00 PM
Reply #3075

GrantyBoy78

It’s hard to quantify as Shaktar are the Man City of what is very poor Ukrainian League.
SD are a very well run club that consistently buy and sell well - and have done over the course of a decade, so I assume they have an established scouting system/DoF. His predecessor, Lucescu, was there was 12 years and so Fonseca inherited an established and successful team.

Here it’d be a rebuilding job where he’d have to implement a philosophy from scratch with a squad that needs a fair bit of work, in a league where a manager is expected to deliver instant results.

It also comes back to Walsh and our own transfer ‘policy’; would Fonseca get the players he needs to implement his tactics?

February 18, 2018, 03:07:47 PM
Reply #3076

Macca77

I reckon I could win the league in Ukraine, its like a richer version of the Scottish prem. Hes sexy though so its a yes from me
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:39:35 PM by Macca77 »

February 18, 2018, 03:24:05 PM
Reply #3077

sam of the south

A look at Fonseca’s tactics

https://twitter.com/totalvoetbol/status/964591882553708544

Four days ago this was bopping about

https://twitter.com/greenallefc/status/963463779643215874

He sounds of a poch/klopp/pep mould (mold?). Would you have him? Any concerns about this side playing that football?

Wish I hadn’t read that really.

It’s the forlorn hope that kills you.

We would also need Gareth Barry back for a start ;)

It’s basically Martinez’ initial build-up, (including Barry dropping back between the CB’s, the Wing-Backs flying on, and the Wingers cutting in) but then a complete departure, with vertical passing instead, and a very aggressive team press when the ball is lost, and if the press fails, falling into a very discliplined and compact defensive block.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:29:55 PM by sam of the south »
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

February 18, 2018, 03:38:25 PM
Reply #3078

Bob Sacamano

It’s hard to quantify as Shaktar are the Man City of what is very poor Ukrainian League.
SD are a very well run club that consistently buy and sell well - and have done over the course of a decade, so I assume they have an established scouting system/DoF. His predecessor, Lucescu, was there was 12 years and so Fonseca inherited an established and successful team.

Here it’d be a rebuilding job where he’d have to implement a philosophy from scratch with a squad that needs a fair bit of work, in a league where a manager is expected to deliver instant results.

It also comes back to Walsh and our own transfer ‘policy’; would Fonseca get the players he needs to implement his tactics?

I hear what you’re saying here. But judging on the batshit recruiting we’ve seen the past couple of windows I’m doubtful Walsh has either the authority or balls to say “no”.

February 18, 2018, 04:03:32 PM
Reply #3079

Bally

Administrator
It's the roll I way

February 18, 2018, 05:00:44 PM
Reply #3080

Redartin

Can't believe there were 9 people in that poll who picked Aldardyce against all those other names.
Wonder do they still have that belief?

February 18, 2018, 05:12:37 PM
Reply #3081

nwatson

November 30th we signed Sam?
2 and a half months ago?
Feels like a fucking life time

February 18, 2018, 05:23:02 PM
Reply #3082

Mayor Farnum

Can't believe there were 9 people in that poll who picked Aldardyce against all those other names.
Wonder do they still have that belief?

I voted for Sam and, with that list, I'd still  vote for him. What is more remarkable is that nearly fifty percent of the vote thought we could get Ancelotti, Tuchel or Someone.

February 18, 2018, 05:31:32 PM
Reply #3083

KoemansNumberTens

I voted for Sam and, with that list, I'd still  vote for him. What is more remarkable is that nearly fifty percent of the vote thought we could get Ancelotti, Tuchel or Someone.

That's the problem with these polls. They end up totally weighted to unrealistic targets. Also I'd imagine almost everyone who wanted unsworth (I was 1) changed their mind and the votes for silva and allardyce came later in the day when they were rumoured

February 18, 2018, 05:36:43 PM
Reply #3084

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
A look at Fonseca’s tactics

https://twitter.com/totalvoetbol/status/964591882553708544

Four days ago this was bopping about

https://twitter.com/greenallefc/status/963463779643215874

He sounds of a poch/klopp/pep mould (mold?). Would you have him? Any concerns about this side playing that football?

What players in the squad could play that type of football?

I'd say;

Pickford
Coleman
Kenny
Holgate
Gana
Davies
Sigurdsson
Walcott
Niasse
DCL
Beni
Klassen
Lookman
Tosun?

Think the rest of the squad would struggle playing that type of high energy stuff, the likes of Morgan, Rooney, Baines, Keane, Bolasie, Williams, Jags.

But there's a good basis to build around and have an 11 fully versed in the way a manager wants to play.

February 18, 2018, 06:17:57 PM
Reply #3085

Thornton_19

I am curious to see how he does in the Champions league against Roma on Wednesday. Be a good test for how tactically aware he and his team are.

February 18, 2018, 06:28:10 PM
Reply #3086

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Bring Srna with him and get him and Baines playing as inverted fullbacks.

Oh yes.

February 18, 2018, 08:26:17 PM
Reply #3087

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Oh my god is Srna still playing??
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 18, 2018, 08:30:47 PM
Reply #3088

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
What players in the squad could play that type of football?

I'd say;

Pickford
Coleman
Kenny
Holgate
Gana
Davies
Sigurdsson
Walcott
Niasse
DCL
Beni
Klassen
Lookman
Tosun?

Think the rest of the squad would struggle playing that type of high energy stuff, the likes of Morgan, Rooney, Baines, Keane, Bolasie, Williams, Jags.

But there's a good basis to build around and have an 11 fully versed in the way a manager wants to play.
Well four of the players you mentioned not being able to play that way are past it anyway, namely Rooney, Baines, Jags and Williams. They won’t be with us within the next two years.
"If you believe it will work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you believe it won’t, you will see obstacles." – Wayne Dyer

February 18, 2018, 08:47:28 PM
Reply #3089

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
I am curious to see how he does in the Champions league against Roma on Wednesday. Be a good test for how tactically aware he and his team are.
Getting twice the amount of points than Napoli and 4 times the amount of points than Feyenoord seems like he(and his team) is doing OK