Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 191298 times)

October 26, 2017, 09:10:30 PM
Read 191298 times

nsno

I get where you're coming from but I dont really see a great deal of difference between Giggs, Neville and Unsworth with regards to credentials for getting the job, with the exception that 2 of them have been laughed out of the forum and one hasnt, because 'he is us'?
Not trying to be argumentative as I hope he does do well, I just dont think we should let it cloud our vision wohen appointing a new manager as I can bet my bottom dollar Poch didnt get Spurs when he first walked in, but I bet there are no Spurs fans who'd swap him now. We need to remove the emotion and get the best person available as im sure, as a professional, every manager we get will have the same desire to succeed as the other. Also, success builds popularity and theres a reason some managers are more sought after than others, because they generally bring success, nothing is guaranteed but if you have someone with a nailed on track record that wants to come and is willing to be part of this then it'd be criminal not to give it to them over someone that has potential and gets us.
The reason I wouldn't want giggs is the fact he was apparently snidey behind moyes' back at United, which tells me he isn't trustworthy. Would he make a good manager? Probably but Everton isn't the place for him to cut his teeth, he needs to drop into the championship, same for Phil Neville.

I also don't get the hype around silva, too similar to Martinez for me and he will be found out by xmas time.  In the long run we need an experienced manager who knows the league to take us back to being a consistent top 8 premier league team, which we haven't been since moyes' tenure.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

November 08, 2017, 12:40:34 AM
Reply #1

nsno

I hope we don't get simeone as the fume on here after 5 games would be unbearable. He's very defensive and negative and will happily settle for a draw, anybody who watches la Liga will know this. Don't get me wrong he'd be a success with us and would in time probably get us back top 6/7 but some on here wouldn't be able to handle the negativity. He's very similar tactically to mourinho.

November 08, 2017, 12:46:38 AM
Reply #2

nsno

I can't say I've seen too much of Silva's teams before. What style of play do his teams tend to play?

I can't say I know too much about Simeone or Dyche either, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest they both like to focus on defensive solidity. Is Silva similarly minded?
It would be comforting if all 4 of these managers had a vaguely similar outlook anyway. It could suggest some semblance of a plan in place over just picking names we've heard of...
Silva steams like to play on the front foot, which is great when things are going well but when you need to hold out it can turn very Martinez/wenger-esque. I can see Watford going through a tough spell between now and xmas if you take a look at their fixtures.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:49:21 AM by nsno »

November 08, 2017, 01:14:30 AM
Reply #3

nsno

At this time, it's still David Unsworth for me.

Have you seen the post match interviews? They speaks volumes about how much respect these players who won this match have for him. We need to carry that spirit forward.

(Anyone with a negative attitude in training can go, no problem. Big Dunc has done the team a favour and Unsy made the right decision to leave players out who have shown the wrong attitude.)
The players might like him but tactically unsworth has been inept. I love the guy and the way he comes across in the press conferences makes you proud to be a blue but unfortunately that's not enough to win football matches. Right now we need an experienced hand to get us out of this mess we find ourselves in.

November 08, 2017, 01:33:28 PM
Reply #4

nsno

Is this is a joke? He is one of the worlds top managers and has turned a side that finished 7, with teams above him operating on bigger budgets, into champions and champions league finalists.  He knocked their city rivals off their perch with work rate, organisation and discipline, together with shrewd signings.  No, not what we need, is it?

No it's not a joke. I didn't say he wouldn't be a success I just stated a few facts. He's a draw merchant, plays negative football and in a league that isn't competitive in relation to the pl. I'd have him in a shot, I was merely saying what the fall out on here would be like.

March 05, 2018, 03:14:20 PM
Reply #5

nsno

I've said it before on here, we should go all out for rudi garcia from Marseille. He's go bags of continental experience and plays a style of football I think would adhere his to our fans.

However, the nostalgic side of me wants us to take the punt on arteta and @TheRam has sold me on it.

March 21, 2018, 05:59:11 PM
Reply #6

nsno

Fonseca will be our new manager in May, I'll be amazed if he's not.
Prepare to be amazed, this is Everton after all.