Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 198061 times)

May 19, 2018, 12:58:03 AM
Reply #3420

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Which club did Guardiola first manage?

Did that club take a punt on him?

Was it successful?

Barcelona.
Had a squad of world class players
He was part of their coaching set up already so they knew what they were getting.
Would you be confident that Arteta could organise a defence?
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 19, 2018, 01:15:47 AM
Reply #3421

KoemansNumberTens

Which club did Guardiola first manage?

Did that club take a punt on him?

Was it successful?

John Barnes managed Celtic first. Why aren’t you using 1 of the numberous failures as an example rather than 1 of the rare successes (at a club that would require a miracle to actually fail)

Also I imagine Barcelona spoke to Guardiola first. Decided they liked his ideas. I’m assuming you haven’t spoken to arteta and have no clue about his ideas

May 19, 2018, 01:18:08 AM
Reply #3422

KoemansNumberTens

The reality is people who have decided they’d like arteta to manage us have based it almost solely on the fact that they like arteta. Well I like my mum and I don’t want her to manage us. She’s probably more qualified than arteta too given she’s the spit of Harry Redknapp

May 19, 2018, 01:19:56 AM
Reply #3423

blue slug

I can’t think of any players other than pep and although it hurts to say dalglish  who has started management at a big club and been successful from the off

May 19, 2018, 01:24:26 AM
Reply #3424

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Reverse the question:

How do you determine a qualified candidate?

How does someone become a qualified candidate?

How would you define Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce? Qualified candidates?

Managed a team would be a start. Arteta doesn't even meet the most base of requirements.

May 19, 2018, 01:25:52 AM
Reply #3425

eyesalwaysblue

Kendall bloomed from modest beginnings.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

May 19, 2018, 01:30:01 AM
Reply #3426

TheTone

The reality is people who have decided they’d like arteta to manage us have based it almost solely on the fact that they like arteta. Well I like my mum and I don’t want her to manage us. She’s probably more qualified than arteta too given she’s the spit of Harry Redknapp

May 19, 2018, 01:34:30 AM
Reply #3427

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Young coaches going straight into management at a young age and being successful are becoming increasingly more common.

He's learning from the very best and has an extremely good reputation within the game.

Seems like he's been tipped to be a great manager and he certainly has a good backround. He'll have that guardiola education, mixed with years of playing under David Moyes.

Also, we're basing ourselves on the model of having a head coach instead of a manager. Meaning all his attention would be towards drilling the players on the training ground whilst brands builds a team suited towards a style of play Arteta needs to succeed.

I'd personally love us to take a risk on him but obviously there's massive reservations and rightly so.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 19, 2018, 01:35:25 AM
Reply #3428

sam of the south

I thought that last sentence was going to be far more adult and disturbing when I read the word ‘spit’..
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

May 19, 2018, 01:42:51 AM
Reply #3429

Macca77

I'm obviously missing something with Arteta he's a former great player with very limited coaching experience. What makes him worth the punt over a qualified candidate?

Dont get it myself, probably the Guardiola factor,?

May 19, 2018, 01:54:32 AM
Reply #3430

eyesalwaysblue

Dont get it myself, probably the Guardiola factor,?
Guardiola rates him high, Arsenal aren't considering him for nothing despite the "on the cheap" jibes from some, Silva 2 big fails out of 2, Arteta before him absolutely, the others seem fine but would love us to take this leap, if he would come that is.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

May 19, 2018, 01:59:18 AM
Reply #3431

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Arteta isn't an outrageous shout by any means, but it's obviously one that would be a bit more of a gamble.  I can see why it could be good, but I find it very hard to put him ahead of a lot of the more experienced names that are being linked.

May 19, 2018, 02:09:07 AM
Reply #3432

KoemansNumberTens

I can understand people being in favour of arteta getting an interview. I’m certainly not against that. Baffled as to how he can be anyone’s preferred choice given we know next to nothing about him as a manager/coach.

I’ve no issue with us taking the risk if someone seems exceptional in talks but has little experience. Without talking to him though we are just saying arteta because we like him

May 19, 2018, 02:13:29 AM
Reply #3433

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I can understand people being in favour of arteta getting an interview. I’m certainly not against that. Baffled as to how he can be anyone’s preferred choice given we know next to nothing about him as a manager/coach.

I’ve no issue with us taking the risk if someone seems exceptional in talks but has little experience. Without talking to him though we are just saying arteta because we like him

It's definitely the nicest story.  If you could choose whether we'd be successful under Arteta or successful under Silva for example, then obviously Arteta is a far better scenario.  But to put that above actual rational evaluation of who'd be the best candidate is a bit daft.

May 19, 2018, 02:19:44 AM
Reply #3434

Gash

Global Moderator
He's probably less experienced than the likes of Giggs and Phil Neville who've both worked under one of the best in Ferguson plus Van Gaal and Moyes but if either of them were linked with the job there would the fume to end all fumes. I'm sure whenever both were mentioned in Premier League managers jobs the general opinion (rightly) was that they should fuck off to the lower leagues and cut their teeth there first, I don't see why it shouldn't be any different with Arteta? Even Gerrard's taken a big drop in quality to learn his trade.

People like Guardiola are still very much the exception rather than the norm but he'd had a stellar playing career as well so you can see people wanting to play for and learn from him, I can't see Arteta, a guy who's limited playing success came fairly late in his career being a big draw. I'm not saying he won't become a good manager, I just don't see a single reason (other than he was a fans favourite) to take such a big risk given our recent management track record.