Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 194324 times)

May 19, 2018, 02:19:46 AM
Reply #3435

Mayor Farnum

We can't recruit from the very top and seem willing to gamble on Silva so why not Arteta?

Has there been any mention of Brands bringing his current head coach with him?
Something clever written by someone else.

May 19, 2018, 02:21:07 AM
Reply #3436

Paddockoldie

I canít think of any players other than pep and although it hurts to say dalglish  who has started management at a big club and been successful from the off

Both inherited solid teams so just carried on. That's were Moyes went wrong as he sacked the back room and put his shite in their place. Tempting to do but he was always on a hiding following SAF.
Arsenal is a huge job if he gets it. With us he'd have had more time to adapt.

May 19, 2018, 02:22:09 AM
Reply #3437

KoemansNumberTens

It's definitely the nicest story.  If you could choose whether we'd be successful under Arteta or successful under Silva for example, then obviously Arteta is a far better scenario.  But to put that above actual rational evaluation of who'd be the best candidate is a bit daft.

Of course. I was 1 of the many who voted for unsworth in the original poll. Iím not overly convinced by silva either. Just hope weíve got the right people making this decision and they make an informed clever choice this time

May 19, 2018, 02:23:35 AM
Reply #3438

Mayor Farnum

He's probably less experienced than the likes of Giggs and Phil Neville who've both worked under one of the best in Ferguson plus Van Gaal and Moyes but if either of them were linked with the job there would the fume to end all fumes. I'm sure whenever both were mentioned in Premier League managers jobs the general opinion (rightly) was that they should fuck off to the lower leagues and cut their teeth there first, I don't see why it shouldn't be any different with Arteta? Even Gerrard's taken a big drop in quality to learn his trade.

People like Guardiola are still very much the exception rather than the norm but he'd had a stellar playing career as well so you can see people wanting to play for and learn from him, I can't see Arteta, a guy who's limited playing success came fairly late in his career being a big draw. I'm not saying he won't become a good manager, I just don't see a single reason (other than he was a fans favourite) to take such a big risk given our recent management track record.

Yet all the 'safe bets' we can attract are going to get us safely to mid-table. A little gamble with the safety net of Brands in the background is our best hope of getting into the top six at the moment.

May 19, 2018, 02:25:46 AM
Reply #3439

Toffee1

NSNO Subscriber

May 19, 2018, 02:27:42 AM
Reply #3440

Gash

Global Moderator
Yet all the 'safe bets' we can attract are going to get us safely to mid-table. A little gamble with the safety net of Brands in the background is our best hope of getting into the top six at the moment.

There's a difference between a "little gamble" and taking on a complete novice.

May 19, 2018, 02:29:15 AM
Reply #3441

Paddockoldie

Tell that two bob club to fuck right off. Compensation for a manager they sacked? Having a fuckin laugh.

May 19, 2018, 02:29:50 AM
Reply #3442

blue slug

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/997545933956108289

Think we should let this one go and look at Emery.

If this is the case then leave alone donít want to be dragging on for weeks

May 19, 2018, 02:34:04 AM
Reply #3443

KoemansNumberTens

Surely if he isnít employed then when they get round to paying him his compensation it will be even more

May 19, 2018, 02:36:32 AM
Reply #3444

Mayor Farnum

There's a difference between a "little gamble" and taking on a complete novice.

That rather depends on the alternatives. We could employ plenty of managers that could get us regularly in the top ten but we can't buy our way any higher so have to try and weed out those with potential. If Arteta is highly thought of by those he has worked with and has a growing reputation he will be a gamble worth taking.
We've got it all to gain and little to lose.

May 19, 2018, 02:39:22 AM
Reply #3445

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Can we copy and paste the article please
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 19, 2018, 02:41:44 AM
Reply #3446

eyesalwaysblue

Being such a good player for us is a plus, working alongside Guardiola coaching a 100 point PL winning team and them wanting him to stay, as well as a club like Arsenal wanting him to manage after playing for them  is hardly a dewy eyed assessment of Arteta as a potential manager here, more like shortlist material nailed on, or should be.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

May 19, 2018, 02:47:37 AM
Reply #3447

Macca77

May 19, 2018, 02:48:31 AM
Reply #3448

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
He's probably less experienced than the likes of Giggs and Phil Neville who've both worked under one of the best in Ferguson plus Van Gaal and Moyes but if either of them were linked with the job there would the fume to end all fumes. I'm sure whenever both were mentioned in Premier League managers jobs the general opinion (rightly) was that they should fuck off to the lower leagues and cut their teeth there first, I don't see why it shouldn't be any different with Arteta? Even Gerrard's taken a big drop in quality to learn his trade.

People like Guardiola are still very much the exception rather than the norm but he'd had a stellar playing career as well so you can see people wanting to play for and learn from him, I can't see Arteta, a guy who's limited playing success came fairly late in his career being a big draw. I'm not saying he won't become a good manager, I just don't see a single reason (other than he was a fans favourite) to take such a big risk given our recent management track record.

Spot on
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 19, 2018, 02:50:28 AM
Reply #3449

Gash

Global Moderator
That rather depends on the alternatives. We could employ plenty of managers that could get us regularly in the top ten but we can't buy our way any higher so have to try and weed out those with potential. If Arteta is highly thought of by those he has worked with and has a growing reputation he will be a gamble worth taking.
We've got it all to gain and little to lose.

We've got plenty to lose, we can't afford another managerial fuck up and end up changing our manager a dozen games in to the season, the chances of which increase massively when you take on a manager with zero experience in the day to day management of a team.