Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 197247 times)

May 19, 2018, 03:15:57 PM
Reply #3525

MmmblueBernard

I think people just love a moan tbh, whatever the club does.

Whatever people think about Silva, I would think some encouragement could be taken from the club identifying specific people for DoF and manager, and not wavering from those choices a few months later. It shows a thought process, and not just going with the fashionable choice.

It shows that Moshiri is as determined as a dog on heat.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

May 19, 2018, 03:16:02 PM
Reply #3526

KoemansNumberTens

Arsenal have gone cheap?

Recommended by Wenger and Guardiola

Not cheap - good business

What about Moyes then. Hes worked here before, has a body of work in management and wed recommended by Sir Alex Ferguson. I think we have our candidate

May 19, 2018, 03:19:45 PM
Reply #3527

BlueForYou

And Silva's not a gamble?

Silva lining or Silva bullet?

Place your bets

Arteta is not cheap, it's good business, as long as Arsenal have a good contracts manager

Do we have one? What did Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce cost us? How much?

Caution: Ferguson recommended Moyes on a personal level, ie, he never worked with him - big difference
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

May 19, 2018, 03:20:08 PM
Reply #3528

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
I remember reading an article once about why, for the most part, great players were not great managers. For most great players in sport the game came naturally, they could do things others couldn't through instinct and skill. A truly great player is born with the attributes that make them stand out from the rest. If hey go into management they often get frustrated with players who can't do what came naturally to them. They often can't understand why these players can't do things that they found easy. Few then have the ability to nurture and develop those players. Whereas the player who had to put effort in to develop their game and skills often prove to be the better managers as they have had to go and seek advice from others, to work hard at aspects of their game so empathise with those that need the same. It's s bit like when I first started teaching. I would get frustrated when kids who had not had the same access to opportunities to read as I had had could not grasp simple concepts from text that was put in front of them. Something that was to me so easy was something that I had to learn how to develop in others.

I'm not saying Arteta is going to be a flop but after the disaster of the last season's apppointments are we prepared to go for the even bigger risk in him?

I think I read that too.

I'm sure it mentioned Glenn Hoddle and how he used to piss the players off by constantly showing them his skills in training and how they weren't as good as him. Then one day Tim Sherwood fronted him and asked him how many League Champions medals he had, which shut him up.

May 19, 2018, 03:20:41 PM
Reply #3529

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Of course Wenger and Guardiola will recommend him.

They’ve been asked publicly about a former player/ current coach (and friend).

They (Guardiola in particular) are not going to start sniggering if they think he’s not up to it.

Plus Wenger hasn’t even cleared his desk yet. Probably thinks Arteta would bring him back in some capacity ;)

May 19, 2018, 03:22:08 PM
Reply #3530

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber

Place your bets

Arteta is not cheap, it's good business, as long as Arsenal have a good contracts manager

Caution: Ferguson recommended Moyes on a personal level, ie, he never worked with him - big difference

Silva is a gamble, but he's had more experience at being a manager at different clubs in different leagues. Dude, if we appointed Pep himself it would be a gamble because he would struggle like fuck with out squad.

It's more of a calculated gamble to recruit someone with a CV, wouldn't you say?

May 19, 2018, 03:22:21 PM
Reply #3531

Bluedylan

Place your bets

Can you just communicate vaguely normally, and we'll build from there?
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

May 19, 2018, 03:22:25 PM
Reply #3532

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think I read that too.

I'm sure it mentioned Glenn Hoddle and how he used to piss the players off by constantly showing them his skills in training and how they weren't as good as him. Then one day Tim Sherwood fronted him and asked him how many League Champions medals he had, which shut him up.

To be fair to Hoddle people remember him far more as a player than Sherwood.

And a manager too come to think of it, which should be embarrassing :)

May 19, 2018, 03:25:14 PM
Reply #3533

Gash

Global Moderator

Place your bets

What does Arteta bring then, what's his management style and his style of play? What is it that makes him so obvious a choice that the majority of us seem to be missing?

May 19, 2018, 03:25:33 PM
Reply #3534

Jamokachi

Youve got a good point there, Iniesta has had the same apprenticeship as pep. Im in

No he hasn't.

May 19, 2018, 03:26:04 PM
Reply #3535

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
And to be clear, the jury is out on Silva, for me.

I'm not sure I like how he was clearly chosen way before Brands, whose job is should be to make these decisions. Perhaps Brands has given his approval and would have chosen him anyway?

However of most of the names mentioned, he's likely the best and least risky option we've got, so I can see the logic in the decision.

May 19, 2018, 03:26:43 PM
Reply #3536

Jamokachi

May 19, 2018, 03:27:03 PM
Reply #3537

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair to Hoddle people remember him far more as a player than Sherwood.

And a manager too come to think of it, which should be embarrassing :)

Ha! There really is no comparison between the two 😄

May 19, 2018, 03:27:25 PM
Reply #3538

Ramjam

Hoddle was a great player but a prick of a manager who could never see any further than Spurs
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 19, 2018, 03:28:20 PM
Reply #3539

BlueForYou

Any CV is better than no CV?

Silva's: Two Premier League clubs, one relegated and one heading for relegation over a a nine month period

That's mental!

Arsenal hiring Arteta - that's mental?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:29:49 PM by BlueForYou »
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick