Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 165802 times)

May 22, 2018, 04:44:35 AM
Reply #3750

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure what you're getting at, given Pochettino had been a manager for over 5 years before he joined Spurs.

Let Arteta cut his teeth elsewhere.

So who is that guy before he is a top quality manager. Nagelsman... Could we even attract him? Southampton took a chance on Pocchetino. If they were say 7th and he came in and made them top 4 that would be perfect for them. We need that.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

May 22, 2018, 04:50:09 AM
Reply #3751

Gash

Global Moderator

Silva isn't trial an error?

I did say I'm not sold on him but he's far less of a punt than Arteta.

We have tried the tried and tested and it has failed. The closest we have come to the top was when we took a bit of a chance on Martinez.

It hasn't really failed though has it, best of the rest under Koeman and Allardyce got us 8th all be it with horrendous football and I do admit 8th was inspite of Allardyce rather than because of him and it hasn't been what we wanted.

The closest we have come to the top was when we took a bit of a chance on Martinez.

Is that Martinez who managed 3 seasons in the Premier League and a couple in the "lower leagues"? You're not doing your Arteta argument any favours here. ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:56:09 AM by Gash »

May 22, 2018, 04:52:18 AM
Reply #3752

Cereal Killer

Surely we should get Phil Neville in!?! Before some other club beats us to him.....

Ex-Everton player
International management experience
Played under the best manager in Premier League history

No?

Hello?

Anyone?

I'm sorry.....

May 22, 2018, 04:53:36 AM
Reply #3753

Bluedylan

I think youíre right bd but I think the reason Iím willing to give arteta a go is because I find silva a bit underwhelming

And your not on your own, of course. I'm in favour but I get the reservations. I think he could be a pre-Spurs Poch.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 22, 2018, 04:53:46 AM
Reply #3754

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
You'd think silva had come out of nowhere the way people are going on.

He's managed five teams already, won a league title and a cup.

He's not a punt, he's a risk, but it's a calculated one and there's plenty of evidence there to suggest he could be a good manager for us.

May 22, 2018, 05:12:11 AM
Reply #3755

Major Clanger

Why even Arteta? If we're going by good Everton players then surely we should be giving Rooney the player/manager role.

That one is easy to answer: Rooney has always been an instinctive player, whereas Arteta was a student of the game since day one.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

May 22, 2018, 05:45:43 AM
Reply #3756

Shogun

Administrator
Deeney on Silva from 28:00...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:47:16 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

May 22, 2018, 05:53:09 AM
Reply #3757

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
That one is easy to answer: Rooney has always been an instinctive player, whereas Arteta was a student of the game since day one.

What makes Arteta a student of the game since day one?

Does that qualify him anyhow? I mean both the Neville brothers are probably what youíd call students of the game too. Neither of those guys are pulling up any trees mangerially speaking.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:55:25 AM by blueToffee »

May 22, 2018, 06:09:58 AM
Reply #3758

Normm

Can't help but feel like the Arteta love is mostly sentimentality, over reason and logic.

Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if there's something about identity in there as well. With the last few years of ups and mostly downs, a lot of people possibly feel like we've lost a bit of Everton identity and maybe the desire for Arteta has a bit of that in it. Bring back a familiar, popular face again and feel a bit more like Everton.

You are right about the "feel good" factor where Arteta is concerned. We definitely need more of that! - It is not without good reason, however. He commanded respect as a player and as a leader on the pitch and now as a coach. It is only a matter of time before he succeeds as a manager.

May 22, 2018, 06:21:12 AM
Reply #3759

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Imo if pep says the mans going to be a good manager and he is a good number 2 then frankly itís worth a squirt.

The upside is you get the next pep. The downside is he flops. I donít mind taking a risk tbh. The fact heís an ex player and a cool continental guy probably does make it more attractive to me, youíre a liar if you think it doesnít to you.

Emery...dunno you know. A few people were decidedly unhappy with him at PSG. Did very well at Sevilla like but - donít think another top club would have touched him. Would have been worth a go obviously because heíd be better than koeman et al. But I can deffo still get behind the silva train.

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 22, 2018, 06:26:59 AM
Reply #3760

Normm

But thereís no evidence that Arteta is good at spotting players (or not).

Yes DoF and manager need to be on the same page but a manager identifying the players and a DoF just signing the deals means heís a chief exec, not being a DoF.

Yeah - I meant identifying 'the type' of player needed, and then agreeing with the signings - not personally spending time seeking them out.

May 22, 2018, 06:51:59 AM
Reply #3761

SANA_DR0

@MiguelDelaney Story has already moved on since but, from earlier, Arteta issues over backroom staff and extent of his role played huge part. Emery more willing to work within confines of head coach role.

>Hype up person to replace Wenger
>Get someone who's worse instead
Classic Arse, can't wait for them to not finish in any CL/Europa places.

Manuel Pellegrini is the new frontrunner for West Ham job. Benitez still in the frame but Pellegrini definitely has the edge. Emery and Ranieri both considered back-ups

>Arsenal appointing the west ham back up option.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

May 22, 2018, 07:22:27 AM
Reply #3762

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
@MiguelDelaney Story has already moved on since but, from earlier, Arteta issues over backroom staff and extent of his role played huge part. Emery more willing to work within confines of head coach role.

>Hype up person to replace Wenger
>Get someone who's worse instead
Classic Arse, can't wait for them to not finish in any CL/Europa places.

Manuel Pellegrini is the new frontrunner for West Ham job. Benitez still in the frame but Pellegrini definitely has the edge. Emery and Ranieri both considered back-ups

>Arsenal appointing the west ham back up option.

Most Arsenal fans seem relieved by the choice. I'm amazed anyone is saying Arteta is a stronger choice than a 3 time back to back Europa League winner...based on what? Just because Guardiola said he's good? Guardiola was also apparently lining up Iniesta to take over Arteta's role now he's retired so maybe we should go for Iniesta instead?

Never would have Emery gone from PSG to West Ham either, that's just their typical BS.

May 22, 2018, 08:11:14 AM
Reply #3763

SANA_DR0

Most Arsenal fans seem relieved by the choice. I'm amazed anyone is saying Arteta is a stronger choice than a 3 time back to back Europa League winner...based on what? Just because Guardiola said he's good? Guardiola was also apparently lining up Iniesta to take over Arteta's role now he's retired so maybe we should go for Iniesta instead?

Never would have Emery gone from PSG to West Ham either, that's just their typical BS.

im not saying Arteta is a stronger choice, from what i've read, Arteta rejected Arsenal due to not wanting to work with Arsenals DoF, or being restricted in building his team or his own backroom staff.

you may think its bullshit, but thats what West Ham had on their list..

i wasnt being serious with my comments anyway... its obvious it was done in tongue-in-cheek

Im actually glad Arteta isnt going, i think Arsenal are pretty fucked.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

May 22, 2018, 11:43:25 AM
Reply #3764

TheTone

Feel a bit sorry for Silva's hair when Everton gets a hold of him

There's a good chance we'd destroy Arteta's gorgeous mane too like