October 21, 2018, 01:56:05 AM

Author Topic: Koeman Sacked  (Read 24411 times)

October 23, 2017, 09:48:20 PM
Read 24411 times

Major Clanger

I love Unsy and he's done a great job with the U23's, but throwing him in in our current situation is a massive ask.

Someone like him could've come in after Moyes with us a strong team, but now isnt the time.

On the other hand, coming in from an absolute car crash like the Koeman era makes things a lot easier too. We're so low now that if he sorts out the basics, fans will be happy, or at least stay onside. Whereas coming in after the relative success of Moyes and with elevated ambitions can be trickier to manage. But, as you say, it's easier in other respects because you start out with something that basically works.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:49:46 PM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 23, 2017, 09:52:00 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

I did feel sorry for Martinez when he got sacked, I think he was genuinely gutted that he coudn' t make it a success, I think he proper loved the club too.
I don't feel sorry for Koeman at all (as harsh as that sounds), I think he's probably happy that it's been nipped in the bud and might not taint his CV too much.

I feel sorry for Erwin though. Will no-one think about Erwin?

October 23, 2017, 10:29:24 PM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

Agreed that the buck stops with Koeman he was the manager, however (and I stand to be corrected on this) I thought the deal was Walsh recommended a player and Koeman then had the final say? Well if all he could come up with was 15 no 10's he can do one too

That's the theory but the practice can work out in many different ways, and we don't really know what the actual dynamic had been between Koeman and Walsh.

October 24, 2017, 01:21:24 AM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

Yes, 70 million for Klaassen and Sigurdsson. Shrewd purchases that needed a top class director of football who can unveil hidden gems in the European transfer market.

Both obvious Koeman buys.

October 24, 2017, 01:35:27 AM
Reply #4

Major Clanger

That's am even more damming assessment of Walsh. Your basically saying Koeman took the piss and walked over him regardless

That's a damning assessment of the board for not backing Walsh. All of his authority must stem from the board, it's not enough to just put a guy in place.

October 24, 2017, 01:55:00 AM
Reply #5

Major Clanger

could well be right. The things which we have always done wrong are still being done wrong and crazily by the same individuals. The problems at Everton lie much deeper than the manager

I agree.

This really is a crucial part of having a DoF, which I talked about when we appointed Walsh. It must be an integral part of how the club's doing business, and both the manager (or head coach) and the DoF must know what their responsibilities are and how not to tread on each other's toes. A DoF buying players whether the manager wants them or not is just as useless as one that yields to every request. It's very tricky to get it right and we obviously didn't.

Whether Walsh is the right man for the job is yet to be seen though.

October 24, 2017, 02:06:33 AM
Reply #6

Major Clanger

'toe treading' is inevitable.

the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing is never the way forward.

no idea how this can be resolved without upsetting one or the other...

Well, the theory is that DoF is there for the long term, and the head coach is responsible for the short term. Ideally the DoF is part of the club's brickwork, a well-respected ex-player or something similar. They should also constantly talk to each other. It's fine to disagree but when they finish their discussion, they should do so with a clear decision.

That's the theory.

In practice if it isn't part of the whole culture of the club (like it is in most German clubs), it usually fails miserably.

October 24, 2017, 02:15:00 AM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

But eventually, won't it be part of the culture everywhere?  It's too much responsibility for the manager to carry (and do so competently) in the modern game.

I don't know. We've got better technology now and scouts can do things that even ten years ago would've been seen as science fiction. Maybe automation and algorithms is the answer. (Though I personally hope not.) Maybe managers could be successful by staying hands-on with recruitment and delegating more of the coaching and preparation work. (Ferguson did this pretty well.)

I genuinely have no idea.

October 24, 2017, 02:16:09 AM
Reply #8

Major Clanger

Is there an example of a DOF working anywhere? I know it's not like me but i'm really cynical about it.

Barcelona with Txiki Begiristain, or the entire Bundesliga.

October 25, 2017, 05:14:14 PM
Reply #9

Major Clanger

A lot of the stuff being drip fed out now doesnít reflect well on him to be honest. If even half of it is true itís no wonder it looked like morale was low.
There are ways to act as a decent human being which ensures you get respect and it looks like he was lacking in that regards.

Let's not forget that this always happens after people leave the club. Almost as if it was done on purpose.

October 25, 2017, 05:16:05 PM
Reply #10

Major Clanger

So you're the reason why he was sacked then, can imagine the convo between Bill and Elstone

Elstone - Bill we need to sort this now, Si off NSNO has handed his season ticket back and said he won't come back until Koeman is gone"

Bill - Ill let Farhad know asap

<Adds Farhad to whatsapp group>

Farhad - Hey guys, funny game wasn't it, just been on the phone to my mate Jim White, told him Ronald is still the man for the job, he will add to his news bit on Sky Sports later, great guy he is

Bill - Go on, tell him Robert..

Farhad - Whats up, is the cladding ok? Tell me its ok!!

Elstone - Mr Farhad boss, Si from NSNO has handed his season ticket back and said he won't come back until Koeman is gone

<Farhad is typing>

Bill - Spit it our lad

<Farhad is typing>

Elstone - We need to act now boss

Farhad - SACK THE USELESS TWAT NOW!

Bill - Pick me up from mine at 12 tomorrow Rob, and someone throw Si's season ticket in the post back to him

I'm waiting for the Downfall spoof video edition of this scene :)

February 09, 2018, 04:58:59 AM
Reply #11

Major Clanger

Martinez flops at Everton - gets Belgium job
Koeman flops at Everton - gets Holland job

Allardyce to Luxembourg, you say?

March 28, 2018, 11:16:32 PM
Reply #12

Major Clanger

You'd think that at least the one thing Moshiri definitely gets right is accounting.