November 21, 2017, 12:27:56 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 18409 times)

November 08, 2017, 01:32:47 PM
Reply #495

therealdunc

Works with a better class of player in u23s, how many non or lower league managers have become a success ?

This is simply not true.

Less than 10% of u23 players make it in the football league, this was a stat printed in the guardian.

So o say u23 is a higher standard of player is completely wrong.

Furthermore, there isnít the same pressure or consequences managing a kids team at a big club with plenty of resources Than managing a Real first team where results matter and you have to find the talent and keep them motivated and happy within the confines of a budget.

What Eddie Howe has achieved is far greater than Unsworth.

It shows how far Everton have fallen if David Unsworth is even being considered for the job
Blue

deCoubertin

November 08, 2017, 04:19:08 PM
Reply #496

Lincs Toffee

I wouldn't say I would be happy, but more accepting if it was him and Allardyce 'til the end of the season, in the view that we are getting Simeone or similar for a longer term, however my only reservation there would be the type of players bought in the January transfer window, Strikers yes but what calibre ?...hmmm Caroll or Crouch !! The new long term manager wouldn't be buying them, but who really knows what the fuck is going on, we just have to wait and see in the next week or so then we can comment accordingly.
ďI used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.Ē - Dixie Dean

November 08, 2017, 05:08:05 PM
Reply #497

sirblue57

This is simply not true.

Less than 10% of u23 players make it in the football league, this was a stat printed in the guardian.

Furthermore, there isnít the same pressure or consequences managing a kids team at a big club with plenty of resources Than managing a Real first team where results matter and you have to find the talent and keep them motivated and happy within the confines of a budget.

It shows how far Everton have fallen if David Unsworth is even being considered for the job
Some clubs have found promoting from within has been very beneficial. Liverpool . Barcelona. Real...i would say if the DoF is working in tandem with Unsworth, it could work,  maybe even  surpass what we would expect. It's a gamble of course, but so was Martinez and Koeman.
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

November 08, 2017, 05:15:39 PM
Reply #498

Bluedylan

Would people be feeling differently if the Watford game was Unsworth's first game in charge? (as it should've been if we'd timed the Koeman sacking intelligently). I suspect a fair few people would. But we've ruined his chances by giving him three hard away games to start with. Top stuff by the powers that be.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 08, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
Reply #499

Rodenplav64

Don't want us to buy anyone in January . Loan only and try and get a tune out of what we have . Unsworth could definitely have us mid table in a couple of weeks and we are still in the FA Cup so the season is far from over . His first 4 games have been uninspiring but I like the fact he has dropped a few and given Baningime , Lookman , Davies , Niasse and Lennon a run . Gave DCL a game off leading the line for 90 mins ( and he scored ) and substituted Rooney when he tired . If Dyche or Allardyce had done the same we would be saying green shoots were appearing . How many times over the years would Moyes have been sacked by now at any other club ? Most on here wanted Martinez gone at the same point Koeman was fucked off . I desperately want Unsworth to be given a chance over offering a contract to Allardyce or Dyche . If they are the only 2 genuine candidates then leave Unsworth where he is for now .
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:26:32 PM by Rodenplav64 »

November 08, 2017, 05:24:01 PM
Reply #500

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Would people be feeling differently if the Watford game was Unsworth's first game in charge? (as it should've been if we'd timed the Koeman sacking intelligently). I suspect a fair few people would. But we've ruined his chances by giving him three hard away games to start with. Top stuff by the powers that be.

I agree that start was tough but no one would have seriously suggested just letting Koeman carry on because they were expected losses ;)

Personally think that the Chelsea and Lyon games were better for his longer term prospects as they had a balanced team with a clear plan for the opposition and that were coherent with each other.

The league games have been wild in comparison.

Watford was a fluke game (our first ever where we’ve been 0-0 at half time, gone 2 goals down and come back to win).

Wish he’d played the same way (as Chelsea and Lyon) in all 4 games but with just minor tweaks.

November 08, 2017, 06:15:02 PM
Reply #501

boothill

This is simply not true.

the 10% (if  thats true)of under 23s that make it are of a much higher level than any non or lower league player, and can be trained to a much higher level also.hence thats why we have currently the best under 23 team/squad at the moment. how many others have gone into their 1st teams ?
also there is pressure to attain positive results in all forms of coaching and employment and especially at a competitive enviroment, otherwise there is no point to coach or train.
what has eddie howe actually acheived ? hes kept a team in the league with a league win rate of 35ish%
unsworth league win rate is 66%, cant argue with the stats
and it just shows you how low we've got to be even contemplating, allerdyce, dyche or howe

November 08, 2017, 06:26:00 PM
Reply #502

BlueNoseMike

the 10% (if  thats true)of under 23s that make it are of a much higher level than any non or lower league player, and can be trained to a much higher level also.hence thats why we have currently the best under 23 team/squad at the moment. how many others have gone into their 1st teams ?
also there is pressure to attain positive results in all forms of coaching and employment and especially at a competitive enviroment, otherwise there is no point to coach or train.
what has eddie howe actually acheived ? hes kept a team in the league with a league win rate of 35ish%
unsworth league win rate is 66%, cant argue with the stats
and it just shows you how low we've got to be even contemplating, allerdyce, dyche or howe

Howe was being bandied about as a potential long term successor for Wenger last year. To compare his win % with Unsworth and ask what has he achieved is a bit silly imo. I'm not exactly saying Howe is all that as the media do, little old Bournemouth have spent quite a bit of money. However, he guided them to a top half finish last year, plays attractive football and has had big results against big teams such as United, Chelsea and the like

My worry with Howe is I think a large part of the success is that he has an affinity with that club, having played there for years too. He has had years to understand how they work which  would have helped.

To disregard the achievements of a guy that has took a club on the brink of relegation from the whole football league and took them from League 2 to the Prem and to compare his record with that of Unsworth's is a farce to be honest. To imply that Unsworth is a better option due to his 66% win rate in the premier league (from 3 games) is a wind up.

Are you on a wind up?

November 08, 2017, 06:29:19 PM
Reply #503

MmmBlueRamirez

Wish heíd played the same way (as Chelsea and Lyon) in all 4 games but with just minor tweaks.

To be fair he's still trying to unpick the tactical and squad mess he's been left with. At least he's not failing and making the same mistakes.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

November 08, 2017, 06:55:05 PM
Reply #504

boothill

Howe was being bandied about as a potential long term successor for Wenger last year. To compare his win % with Unsworth and ask what has he achieved is a bit silly imo. I'm not exactly saying Howe is all that as the media do, little old Bournemouth have spent quite a bit of money. However, he guided them to a top half finish last year, plays attractive football and has had big results against big teams such as United, Chelsea and the like

My worry with Howe is I think a large part of the success is that he has an affinity with that club, having played there for years too. He has had years to understand how they work which  would have helped.

To disregard the achievements of a guy that has took a club on the brink of relegation from the whole football league and took them from League 2 to the Prem and to compare his record with that of Unsworth's is a farce to be honest. To imply that Unsworth is a better option due to his 66% win rate in the premier league (from 3 games) is a wind up.

Are you on a wind up?
maybe i was a tad unfair on howe, but i wasnt the one who started presenting percentages, i just gave an answer in this way as that was the structure of the post. but as you say, howe as an affinity with his club, unsworth with mine. to be dismissed simply because a person doesnt like him is ridiculous

November 08, 2017, 07:17:31 PM
Reply #505

velimski

There was a reason for bringing in Unsworth when we did - to give us a chance of progressing in the league cup and getting back into the Europa league.  Granted they were tough games, but with Koeman still in charge we were almost certain to lose both games anyway.

November 08, 2017, 07:59:56 PM
Reply #506

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair he's still trying to unpick the tactical and squad mess he's been left with. At least he's not failing and making the same mistakes.

Dont agree.

Heís had some good ideas but heís also got the league selections wrong.

Weíve changed shape from game to game. Heís been forced into big selection / tactical changes in both league games despite having evidence from the previous cup game that there is a decent balance to be had in the squad.

If the problem was sorting out the previous tactical mess then keep things simple and consistent, especially when you donít have many training sessions in between matches.

The best performance bits have been with the best balance to the players available, yet those selections havenít happened all the time.

Donít know whether thatís due to trying to show tactical awareness or what.

I do think his base ideas are sound. Eg we started aggressively vs Watford but the shape was wrong so that dissipated when it became too easy for them to play the ball round the narrow front 3. This was and has been obvious in previous games, so it was a shame that the good underlying idea was squashed by the formation although framework.

If he stays on, I hope that the medium term security allows more confidence to work on a set way of playing with personnel tweaks for each game.

November 08, 2017, 08:31:26 PM
Reply #507

kramer0

The starting line-up against Watford was a mess. There's a very good reason we went 2-0 down. They were consistently able to get at our defenders with one medium difficulty (or sometimes easy) pass through the midfield. If Unsworth stays, he needs to stay closer to the 4-3-3/4-4-2 we used in the second half against Chelsea. And that's the version from before we subbed Rooney off. We lost any control we had in that game when we went to 4-4-2 hoof ball with Niasse and Calvert-Lewin.

If Unsworth stays, he also needs to seriously consider putting Gana on the bench. He might be a hard worker, up for the fight, etc. but his overzealous positioning is hurting us right now. Part of the reason it was so easy to pass through our midfield on Sunday is because Gana kept turning up in Baningime's area, leaving big gaps to be worked. And it's subtle, but if you watch Watford's penalty again, he gets sucked towards the wing, where we had the situation under control, opening up space in the middle which they exploited to get the ball into the box. I think he needs to sit until he learns to trust his teammates to do their defensive jobs. I know most of you are probably sick of hearing me complain about him but I do think he's become a genuine defensive liability, however counter-intuitive that seems.

November 08, 2017, 09:04:53 PM
Reply #508

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
He seems like he wanta a high press. That's all well and good but we also have a defence that wants to sit deep so that leaves a big gap between our midfield and the defence which is where the opposition can pick us off easily

Simply simply lovely

November 08, 2017, 09:46:43 PM
Reply #509

MmmBlueRamirez

The underlying point I was trying to make was that heís chopped and changed in order to find a system and players that work to implement at the start of games. Like Koeman he only seems to Ďget it rightí after half time. Ignoring the Arsenal debacle.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama