October 16, 2018, 05:23:26 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 47751 times)

November 03, 2017, 02:27:11 AM
Reply #15

Bluedylan

3 games, 3 defeats, 1 goal for, 7 goals against.

Not the best audition for the full time gig from Unsworth is it.

We need someone asap because things haven't improved in the slightest, if anything we're now worse than when Koeman was sacked.

Haha, that's ludicrous. Did you watch the Arsenal game? We're better than when Koeman was fired, but maybe not better enough for Unsworth to keep his job (fixtures defo haven't helped him).
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 06, 2017, 11:46:31 AM
Reply #16

Bluedylan

Been given a nightmare of a situation to handle. Buzzing he got that win. Think the expectations of him on here have been unrealistic, personally.

November 08, 2017, 05:15:39 PM
Reply #17

Bluedylan

Would people be feeling differently if the Watford game was Unsworth's first game in charge? (as it should've been if we'd timed the Koeman sacking intelligently). I suspect a fair few people would. But we've ruined his chances by giving him three hard away games to start with. Top stuff by the powers that be.

November 17, 2017, 12:12:10 PM
Reply #18

Bluedylan

HAHAHaHA!!!! What a load of tosh. Can't stop laughing at this.

No mate. Sacking a manager at a specific time to give the caretaker/new manager the best possible chance to start well (ie more winnable games) is genuinely a thing. That's not even an opinion or one side of a debate. It's something that happens all the time, and something that boards consider.

November 17, 2017, 10:36:45 PM
Reply #19

Bluedylan

You wanted him sacked for so long and then complain we didn't keep him longer to give Unsworth a chance. Again, what a load of tosh.

You know that's not what I'm saying, but you're being a knob deliberately. Jog on mate.

November 18, 2017, 11:39:31 PM
Reply #20

Bluedylan

Our defence is so slow and leggy that it'd be suicidal to push up. So then we have to defend deeper, which results in us losing the battle for possession and territory. Then we don't have a playmaking midfielder who can run things in the middle, so the midfield ends up being a bit chaotic and backs to the wall.

And then we don't have speed merchants like Zaha to be really good on the break.

The more I look at it, the more I wonder how you can set this group of players up to play effectively for a run of games.

November 24, 2017, 02:31:16 PM
Reply #21

Bluedylan

It would be wrong for the club to allow Unsworth to return to the U23s, he has shown himself to be tactically clueless, awful at team selection and totally incapable of impacting a game.

Everton need to move away from romanticising and giving old players jobs for the sake of it and give our players especially the U23 players the best person for the job.

Got nothing against the bloke as a person but as a football club member of staff he has been found out

He won the league last season. Don't be so absurd and melodramatic.

November 27, 2017, 08:36:31 AM
Reply #22

Bluedylan

I was one of those who said 'let's see what Unsworth has got' and judge him on the team's performances rather than him 'getting us' or any of that nonsense.

And fair enough, he hasn't been up to it. He's been naive and overly attacking in his lineups. As others have said he should've set us up to be solid and tried to nick games.

But, on top of that, it's absurd that a caretaker manager should be in charge for this long. Footballers are human beings whose lives are like children. Everything is done for them and organised for them. So authority is a crucial thing. Having a man telling them to do things, who they all know won't be there soon is a massive authority vacuum. It's like a supply teacher coming in for a few weeks. The kids know that person doesn't have the proper authority and accountability, so whatever they say out loud, they will be thinking 'yeah sound mate, who are you again, and why should I do this really difficult thing you're asking me to do, when you're nothing more than a fill-in' and that's human nature.

So yes, he has shown himself to be ill-equipped for the job, but the horror show above him once again has to take a lot of the blame.