November 19, 2017, 01:07:26 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 17053 times)

October 25, 2017, 01:01:20 AM
Reply #90

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I hope he makes a real go of it. It worries me a little though as it won't take much of a changr in fortunes for a short run to be deemed successful. Would be a fairytale if he made a good go of it

deCoubertin

October 25, 2017, 01:02:43 AM
Reply #91

School of Science

The four game scenario if true is very unfair to judge Unsworth on in my eyes, it's not his team for one and he's taking on an unbalanced team, in poor form totally devoid of confidence, talk about poisoned chalice. Same even if he wins all four, four games is far too short a period to judge anyone. As JW has said a bit earlier my dream team would be Tuchel, I don't think he'd stay here longer than two years anyway, even if he want to manage us. After two years of being his assistant Unsy takes the reins.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

October 25, 2017, 01:07:05 AM
Reply #92

blue slug

4 games when we're in the shit ain't really a fair period of time to judge unsworth on

October 25, 2017, 01:11:51 AM
Reply #93

Evertonian in NC

yeah, I like him.  Especially his belief in the youth.  It's how we will thrive, if we ever really do again.

But I'm with Jimmy, don't want to get burned by leaning with the heart.  And 4 matches is absurd as a sample size to base anything upon.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 25, 2017, 01:12:08 AM
Reply #94

blob

he's already found his level. I like the man, but not for this job.

but let's first see how the players respond...

October 25, 2017, 01:14:41 AM
Reply #95

D15TIN

he's already found his level. I like the man, but not for this job.

but let's first see how the players respond...

how can he have found his level if he's never been tested higher?

October 25, 2017, 01:18:59 AM
Reply #96

Bluedylan

He said in his press conference that he hasn't been given a set number of games, and Paul Joyce's article (or the bit I could read before the paywall) even says 'Unsworth has not been told how long his spell will last', so the 4 game thing is just guesswork.

It's just the arbitrary period that takes us to the next international break, which is usually viewed as a sensible time to hire/fire managers.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 25, 2017, 01:20:47 AM
Reply #97

Mayor Farnum

4 games when we're in the shit ain't really a fair period of time to judge unsworth on

No be we can't afford to give him fifteen games if it proves too much for him.

October 25, 2017, 01:22:05 AM
Reply #98

blob

how can he have found his level if he's never been tested higher?

you could give me the job on that basis...

I just believe that we need 'better'...which is not a slight on rhino.

October 25, 2017, 01:22:09 AM
Reply #99

smellybum

Good luck to him. He wants the job. Rumours abound players want him to have the job. Done his time with the kids and had success. Maybe it is his time. Right age. Respect of fans and players. Really hope he has the minerals for it.
I hope he gets longer than a few games to see how it goes. Something like 3-4 months. Let the likes of Coleman, Barkley, Bolasie get back to fitness and allow him to pick a proper first 11 and see what he can do with it.
Time to gt behind him and the team.

October 25, 2017, 01:27:37 AM
Reply #100

Mayor Farnum

Good luck to him. He wants the job. Rumours abound players want him to have the job. Done his time with the kids and had success. Maybe it is his time. Right age. Respect of fans and players. Really hope he has the minerals for it.
I hope he gets longer than a few games to see how it goes. Something like 3-4 months. Let the likes of Coleman, Barkley, Bolasie get back to fitness and allow him to pick a proper first 11 and see what he can do with it.
Time to gt behind him and the team.

If we we're mid-table that would be a good scenario. However, we are in the bottom three and will have to play at least half the season without a recognised striker.

October 25, 2017, 01:28:29 AM
Reply #101

Bluedylan

More than likely there will be no 'set period of games'. He'll be getting assessed continuously by those above him, and they will be approaching other managers in the meantime and seeing where the land lies.

If Tuchel wanted the job for example, I don't think it would matter if Unsworth was given 2 games or 20 games. The job will be Tuchel's. And conversely if Eddie Howe's the best we could get, and Unsworth doing well in the meantime, they'll probably let him keep it.

The board are right not to put a set timeframe on things. No reason to limit themselves in anyway. Assess the situation on an ongoing basis, put the feelers out there and see what their best option is over the next few weeks.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 25, 2017, 01:36:11 AM
Reply #102

Tinga

Maybe in the future but right now I'd rather get somebody more experienced. We just can't be sentimental about this next manager, we're in a bit of a hole right now.

October 25, 2017, 01:36:52 AM
Reply #103

KoemansNumberTens

I put this on another thread in error.
Imagine Unsie giving his team talk. "Now Wayne this is what I want you to do.... Wayne, would you put that fucking phone down and listen to my advice on how to play". Wayne WAYNE come back here!!!

Hopefully in that situation unsworths helper dwarf would set a trained unicorn on rooney. Stab the ignorant cunt with its horn

October 25, 2017, 01:37:41 AM
Reply #104

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
when he went to Sheffield Wednesday I asked for an interview with him but could never get to the phone with him, so the club said to send the questions over and he'd answer them

he hand-wrote his answers.....

"Where has the sense of togetherness gone?"

"Fuck knows!"

https://twitter.com/nsno/status/922868222449373184

That's brilliant!

Number 4 and number 12 are the best.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"