October 16, 2018, 11:22:13 AM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 47734 times)

October 25, 2017, 03:45:40 AM
Read 47734 times

toffee_scot

It will be interesting to see how the players respond tomorrow evening with Unsworth in charge and what kind of tactics and strategy he will use. Whatever the result, I want to see a more positive performance from the players.

The Leicester game though will be key, we need to pick up 3 points from somewhere very soon just to kickstart our move up the table and stand a chance of finishing in the top 7 again.

October 26, 2017, 04:30:29 AM
Reply #1

toffee_scot

Unsworth definitely has something to build on and I am optimistic we will see a reversal in recent fortunes and play better football.

I guess for tonight's game he wanted to mostly play players that he was most familiar with including some he managed at different times for the U23s and many from the pre-Koeman period. In some ways, the advantage is that he will feel no obligation to play (or rather shoehorn) the likes of Sigurdsson, Klaassen, Martina, Sandro etc all in the same team because he didn't sign them so I am confident Unsworth will come up with a system to take advantage of the current players he has at his disposal.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:31:58 AM by toffee_scot »

October 30, 2017, 12:55:04 AM
Reply #2

toffee_scot

I'd still keep Unsworth in charge for at least a few more games, although the result was unacceptable today, the players looked more upbeat and committed than they did under Koeman and he's still trying to work out the best plan for a team that was completely lacking any confidence and direction under previous management.

I think Unsworth was a little naive in the first half playing both Davies and Gana in a 2 man central midfield (well 3 if you count the number of times Rooney dropped deep. The substitutions were a bit weird with both wingers being dropped, I disagree with the manager's comment that Mirallas "couldn't get into the game" as he was at least trying to create things. We had more possession and dominated the second half, but I wonder if it was more because Leicester let us because they knew they could create great chances on the counterattack and quite frankly their defence was really on top of everything.

I expect Unsworth will have learnt from this and improve things for the Watford game.

November 24, 2017, 04:11:24 AM
Reply #3

toffee_scot

The performances under Unsworth have been getting worse and worse with every game that has passed. The job is far too big for him.

November 30, 2017, 04:39:59 AM
Reply #4

toffee_scot

Well down Unsworth. Not easy having to take over the shambles that Koeman left behind but he performed his job and came across very dignified at all times and he deserves to end his caretaker spell on a high like tonight.

I'm happy that he still has a job at Everton with U23s although whatever happens in the future I wish him every blessing as I think he could become a decent manager given the right club to be given his first proper permanent role.