November 25, 2017, 04:24:49 AM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 22002 times)

October 25, 2017, 06:26:27 AM
Reply #120

Jamokachi

More than likely there will be no 'set period of games'. He'll be getting assessed continuously by those above him, and they will be approaching other managers in the meantime and seeing where the land lies.

If Tuchel wanted the job for example, I don't think it would matter if Unsworth was given 2 games or 20 games. The job will be Tuchel's. And conversely if Eddie Howe's the best we could get, and Unsworth doing well in the meantime, they'll probably let him keep it.

The board are right not to put a set timeframe on things. No reason to limit themselves in anyway. Assess the situation on an ongoing basis, put the feelers out there and see what their best option is over the next few weeks.

Stop talking sense, fly off the handle more... this is the Everton forum after all.

deCoubertin

October 25, 2017, 06:27:03 AM
Reply #121

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Just watched the PR. He's brought pride back already. Came across honest and realistic. Although Ron was honest, you could see it was a different type of honesty. I really hope he gets the job long term on merit.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

October 25, 2017, 05:22:13 PM
Reply #122

Major Clanger

The board are right not to put a set timeframe on things. No reason to limit themselves in anyway. Assess the situation on an ongoing basis, put the feelers out there and see what their best option is over the next few weeks.

Yes, they shouldn't admit to having set a deadline publicly for the reasons you say.

But privately they should absolutely set a time frame. If you don't set yourself a deadline, failure is all but guaranteed.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 25, 2017, 05:50:20 PM
Reply #123

Lxxx

There isn't any magic formula for success. Martinez really bought into the club and started like a house on fire but that turned to shit. Koeman was the biggest name we've ever had but never really looked as if he wanted to be here and that turned to shit. Tuchel might be a great name and an exciting thought but he could have a hard time getting his ideas over in his first stab at English football and we may well have to pay off another manager in 18 months too.

All I've seen are smiling faces on the training ground and a very eloquent interview, backed up by a groundswell of goodwill. I think we'd be silly not to seriously consider the man, it's not as if he's some bloke off the street. He's got a very persuasive argument to put across for the job and whilst I'm not saying he should get it he should at least be given every opportunity to show that he's a very credible candidate for the club.

October 25, 2017, 06:19:35 PM
Reply #124

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
There isn't any magic formula for success. Martinez really bought into the club and started like a house on fire but that turned to shit. Koeman was the biggest name we've ever had but never really looked as if he wanted to be here and that turned to shit. Tuchel might be a great name and an exciting thought but he could have a hard time getting his ideas over in his first stab at English football and we may well have to pay off another manager in 18 months too.

All I've seen are smiling faces on the training ground and a very eloquent interview, backed up by a groundswell of goodwill. I think we'd be silly not to seriously consider the man, it's not as if he's some bloke off the street. He's got a very persuasive argument to put across for the job and whilst I'm not saying he should get it he should at least be given every opportunity to show that he's a very credible candidate for the club.

I hope he does get it and is successful. Could save us a fortune. You know he'll give his all for a start and it sounds like he's a win at all costs type of manager.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

October 25, 2017, 07:12:24 PM
Reply #125

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
The difference with Unsworth against most of the other managers we are linked with, Unsworth would stay here for his entire career if it was possible, we're not a stepping stone to him, this is his dream job, I really think if you offered him any Prem team to manage, he would still pick us.

Koeman used us for his CV (which backfired), so did Martinez (to an extent, although I think he grew to love the club), other managers like Tuchel or Silva will do the same.

I actually don't know what produces better results over a longer period, a manager who wants to build a legacy with 1 club or 1 willing to just shoehorn quality over a short period of time.
Chelsea have benefited from 1 way of doing it, whereas Liverpool have not really benefited from the same approach.

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 25, 2017, 07:19:51 PM
Reply #126

Robioto

As things stand I would like him as our permanent manager, but will see how we perform over the next few games.

October 25, 2017, 07:38:37 PM
Reply #127

Lxxx

The difference with Unsworth against most of the other managers we are linked with, Unsworth would stay here for his entire career if it was possible, we're not a stepping stone to him, this is his dream job, I really think if you offered him any Prem team to manage, he would still pick us.

Koeman used us for his CV (which backfired), so did Martinez (to an extent, although I think he grew to love the club), other managers like Tuchel or Silva will do the same.

I actually don't know what produces better results over a longer period, a manager who wants to build a legacy with 1 club or 1 willing to just shoehorn quality over a short period of time.
Chelsea have benefited from 1 way of doing it, whereas Liverpool have not really benefited from the same approach.

There is no exact science. For every argument put forward for Unsworth there is a valid counter argument. It all comes down to making an informed choice after doing your due diligence, getting behind the man in charge, building a professional club off the pitch so you can give him as much financial backing as possible and hoping for the best.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:41:06 PM by Lxxx »

October 25, 2017, 07:46:51 PM
Reply #128

GrantyBoy78

You’d imagine he’ll go back to basics and simplify what’s being asked of the players. Also rumours the likes of Lennon and Mirallas are back in the team tonight...which leads me to another thought...

What if we get back on track with the ‘old guard’ and Unsworth bins off all of Koeman/Walsh signings? I suppose Moshiri will be happy if we’re winning but surely one of the new manager’s tasks will be to integrate these expensive, highly paid signings into the team?

Sorry, getting ahead of myself.

October 25, 2017, 07:55:20 PM
Reply #129

Major Clanger

You’d imagine he’ll go back to basics and simplify what’s being asked of the players. Also rumours the likes of Lennon and Mirallas are back in the team tonight...which leads me to another thought...

What if we get back on track with the ‘old guard’ and Unsworth bins off all of Koeman/Walsh signings? I suppose Moshiri will be happy if we’re winning but surely one of the new manager’s tasks will be to integrate these expensive, highly paid signings into the team?

Sorry, getting ahead of myself.

I think once we start winning, he can start to integrate the new players in bit by bit. There's no point trying to fix something while making sweeping changes at the same time.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 25, 2017, 08:18:13 PM
Reply #130

BlueForYou

Don't know what will happen

Shakespeare initially took to management like a duck to water, got a contract and then the sack!

Different ball game once officially in the hot seat

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 25, 2017, 08:36:06 PM
Reply #131

Lxxx

Don't know what will happen

Shakespeare initially took to management like a duck to water, got a contract and then the sack!

Different ball game once officially in the hot seat

Which was totally bonkers. They have had as tough a start as us and would have started climbing the table as they have a goalscorer and a manager who looked to be well liked. Both things we lack(ed).

October 25, 2017, 08:45:13 PM
Reply #132

BlueForYou

And it would appear that Leicester have got their "big name" - Puel

Bigger than Dyche, I guess?

Puel should be in charge for Sunday against us - the (even bigger) Rhino's ready!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:48:44 PM by BlueForYou »
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 25, 2017, 08:58:22 PM
Reply #133

Rhys

And it would appear that Leicester have got their "big name" - Puel

Bigger than Dyche, I guess?

Puel should be in charge for Sunday against us - the Rhino's ready!

Puel league finishes;

Monaco

98/99 - 4th
99/00 - 1st
00/01 - 11th

Lille

02/03 - 14th
03/04 - 10th
04/05 - 2nd
05/06 - 3rd
06/07 - 10th
07/08 - 7th

Lyon

08/09 - 3rd
09/10 - 2nd
10/11 - 3rd

Nice

12/13 - 4th
13/14 - 17th
14/15 - 11th
15/16 - 4th

Southampton

16/17 - 8th

All but one season in France but that is a pretty consistent record over a number of teams over a long time. Some blips but also some real highs in there. He might not be the biggest name, most well known and Southampton fans didnt like his style of play but even there finished well enough so while might not be the most glamorous appointment you'd look at his record and think a very good chance he will do a stable job there which is maybe what they need after having nearly gone down, won the league then almost gone down again and started really badly this season.

October 25, 2017, 09:38:26 PM
Reply #134

Hesmenos

More than likely there will be no 'set period of games'. He'll be getting assessed continuously by those above him, and they will be approaching other managers in the meantime and seeing where the land lies.

If Tuchel wanted the job for example, I don't think it would matter if Unsworth was given 2 games or 20 games. The job will be Tuchel's. And conversely if Eddie Howe's the best we could get, and Unsworth doing well in the meantime, they'll probably let him keep it.

Its the way I saw it as well. I don't think it is about the 4 games but the time frame. The board have probably figured they need 2-3 weeks to interview candidates and make a decision.