October 19, 2018, 11:32:33 AM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 47923 times)

October 24, 2017, 06:15:06 PM
Read 47923 times

Rhys

I love this fella, the shit he used to take coz that walter smith put him out to left back, and did he hide ? Did he fuck, hard as nails he is, would run through the preverbial brick wall for you, would love to see him get the gig, a lot more experienced than getting credit for. GO RHINO

Left back was least of the problems, Walter at times used to use him centre midfield!

October 24, 2017, 10:33:57 PM
Reply #1

Rhys

Let's wait and see. If a better candidate is gettable, then let's get him instead. As Unsworth said, it's about what's best for Everton and winning matches, not individuals or playing to the gallery.

That's my stance. If we think there is a really good candidate who the club believe is the answer then they should do it. If they arent convinced or arent happy with the people they can get now, and in the meantime Rhino is getting good performances, results and generally looks like he will be ok in what he is doing plus positive noises from the training ground that is when that kind of decision around keeping him until the end of the season should come into it.

October 25, 2017, 08:58:22 PM
Reply #2

Rhys

And it would appear that Leicester have got their "big name" - Puel

Bigger than Dyche, I guess?

Puel should be in charge for Sunday against us - the Rhino's ready!

Puel league finishes;

Monaco

98/99 - 4th
99/00 - 1st
00/01 - 11th

Lille

02/03 - 14th
03/04 - 10th
04/05 - 2nd
05/06 - 3rd
06/07 - 10th
07/08 - 7th

Lyon

08/09 - 3rd
09/10 - 2nd
10/11 - 3rd

Nice

12/13 - 4th
13/14 - 17th
14/15 - 11th
15/16 - 4th

Southampton

16/17 - 8th

All but one season in France but that is a pretty consistent record over a number of teams over a long time. Some blips but also some real highs in there. He might not be the biggest name, most well known and Southampton fans didnt like his style of play but even there finished well enough so while might not be the most glamorous appointment you'd look at his record and think a very good chance he will do a stable job there which is maybe what they need after having nearly gone down, won the league then almost gone down again and started really badly this season.

October 30, 2017, 03:26:12 AM
Reply #3

Rhys

I don't see the point in having a striker to make it stick when he can't score goals anyway.

At least Niasse has a knack of scoring terrible goals

That performance from Niasse today showed why Koeman was so keen to ship him out and showed what pretty much everyone thought of him before Koeman came in. He didnt deserve the treatment he got but he is a poor player no way near the standard of a player we should be using.

I know he has got a few goals but you cant have a player in the team that has no idea himself what to do in a lot of situations. The shot he had where spannered it wide, the position he was in you have to curl for the top corner he strikes with a technique that sends it away from goal. The cross down in the corner, you are facing away from goal at a tough angle hitting as hard as you can like you are shooting isnt going to do anything other go behind straight away. He did a few of them for Hull cant understand what goes through the head at that point. And that touch when rooney played him in, not even close to be able to get near the ball to do anything with it.

DCL is very minimal goal threat and really shouldnt be starting for us but there are no options. Niasse certainly starting games and absolutely on his own is just not possible in my opinion. Touch awful, no awareness and I'd be amazed if the players arent hesitant about giving the ball to him.

It is very desperate times that DCL is a regular starter for him and that Niasse is the next option as I dont think either are as good as Enner Valencia and he got ridiculed last season because he wasnt very good either.

October 30, 2017, 03:32:47 AM
Reply #4

Rhys

As for Unsworth what I found strange was he made such a big thing about wanting wide players in the team, lots of crosses. We have the first half today where Lennon was one of the better players, Mirallas involved to a point. The big problem was being wide open, the two centre midfielders were awful in the half and we left them too much space to break on us. Then he changes it and goes ultra narrow second half, if width is the way you want to play like he stated then why not try and solve the problem in the middle and try and get a grip on the game that way without completely ripping up your plan and trying something completely different second half?

I know Sigurdsson has been poor but we know the level he can be so not sure why he is so far down the list to be used given our problems creating and scoring.

It's like he thought the crowd want width and us to be adventurous so went to be bold. However when we are playing this badly it isnt easy to switch it to being good to watch, attacking and creating lots of chances. Normally it comes from being solid, get a few results and when confidence comes the team improves. Just feels like should have made sure that middle was more secure first half either by having a midfield 3 and not playing Rooney or DCL, or made sure Rooney and the wide players tucked in more when we lost the ball.

October 30, 2017, 03:44:13 AM
Reply #5

Rhys

Iíve never really rated Mirallas up top, always thought that option was a non-starter but due to our appauling options and the fact he doesnít offer much from the wing he might be something of a goal threat up top. Not a target, but maybe a through ball from Rooney to Lennon would be up his street. I just donít think this DCL approach can keep going, aside from the game against Man City itís so non-effective.

Our attacking options must be the worst in the league. Or very close to it. I was even starting to wonder if there are any free agents out there, itís that bad.

Maybe with Barkley back soon we can do away with Rooney in midfield and have him up top with another.

Whenever I've watched a PL game this season I look and think would all the strikers on the pitch get in our team. When I can't find many arguments against Sam Vokes and Benik Afobe getting in our team you know we are in serious trouble in that position!!

October 30, 2017, 03:58:21 AM
Reply #6

Rhys

I made this comment a few weeks ago - I said Glenn Murray would walk into our team and was slaughtered for it...wasnít suggesting him as a signing, just said heís better than we have...

I was actually going to add him in as well but still cant quite admit that one to myself let alone the public.

November 24, 2017, 02:57:54 PM
Reply #7

Rhys

Missed the second half of this, and most of the first half actually. What happened with e Feeney sub? Why was he put on at RB? Or was that the cause of the goals..?

He brought feeney on for Kenny and went 3 at the back with Davies right wing back (well he played deeper than the back 3 for some reason) and martina left wing back. Rooney and baningime in centre midfield with some kind of front 3 of Sandro, DCL and vlasic. They brought on cornelius moved him onto feeney and basically he could just walk through him. And like other games, Atalanta away, United away, arsenal home heads completely crumbled when goals started going in and they missed about 5 chances in between the 4th and 5th goals.

That sub was bad but it was the general formation changes throughout the game which were bizarre. Started the game with 4-4-2, second half came out with 4-2-3-1 then went through a load of variations of formations, spells of 2 up front, diamonds, 4-3-3 and each time players were playing different roles on the pitch. How can you have any idea what you are meant to he doing if you change formation and role in the team every 5-10 minutes in the half?

The game ultimately was meaningless in terms of the competition but not for our confidence moving forward. Same as in Lyon a draw wouldn't have been the end of the world for morale so I don't know why he didn't just go for a solid shape, be organised and make it very hard to score. See if we can keep a clean sheet and pinch the game as we need solid performances and results to boost confidence.

6 games in charge, 16 goals conceded, conceded at least 2 goals in each game and 2-0 down in 5 out of the 6! He'd have had a chance of getting the job for 6 months if he'd gone defence and organisation first and turned some of the defeats into draws even but he hasn't done that so he has made himself not an option when we seem struggling to get who we want.

November 26, 2017, 10:11:55 PM
Reply #8

Rhys

Even things like bringing Lookman on today for Mirallas. No issue bringing Mirallas off but we had no control over the game at any point, so what difference was throwing someone who can be creative on without a supply to get it to him going to make? Same with throwing loads of forwards on at Palace last week. Mirallas should have come off for Rooney we needed someone who could get on the ball a bit more then once you have some control on the game you can look to add in a Lookman or Sandro.

He could have been average in his decisions and got us through the next month if we really wanted to take our time getting the right man but the decisions he's made especially over the last week have meant we can't do that and need to push on with who we are getting as soon as we can.

7 games, 1 win, 1 draw and 5 losses with 20 goals conceded now with at least 2 conceded in every game. And he still didnt think lets have an organised solid approach given we are shipping goals.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:56:14 PM by Rhys »

November 27, 2017, 06:57:32 AM
Reply #9

Rhys

feel sorry for him. not his side.. fuck all he can do. we lack pace.. fuck all he can do..

new manager.. still lack pace.. fuck all he can do

There is though, you dont have to leave massive gaps in front of the defence as a starting point to make us hard to score against and hard to beat. We didnt have much pace from 2007-2013 under Moyes but we still managed to have a team that played good football at times, scored a reasonable amount of goals and finished high in the league season in season out. Yes pace is important especially these days and we are struggling for quality up front so while we are make sure we are organised.

Palace last week the first half we had Townsend, Zaha and Loftus Cheek all picking the ball up consistently in between the midfield and defence. His answer of take off a centre midfielder add in a striker and leave even more space was never going to get us control of the game. Starting Atalanta with 2 teenage centre midfielders, Martina out of position at left back and Klaassen out of position left midfield was a disaster waiting to happen and it left the defence exposed for Cristante, Gomez and Petagna to work however they wanted. Then having seen those performances to again start with 4-4-2 with 2 completely out of form centre midfielders in front of a completely out form defence leaving massive gaps for two very erratic but talented players in Tadic and Boufal to be able to do what they want was ludicrous.

You dont need pace to solve those kind of issues, you need a plan and organisation and Unsworth hasnt had a consistent plan. He hasnt thought we are going 4-4-2 most of the time so lets work on how to be organised in that system. Nor has he said lets go 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 and be a defence first team and lets keep some clean sheets or whatever. It's been change from half to half and game to game.

There are obvious problems in the squad the new manager will need to rectify but even with the current squad and those problems if a manager comes in and gets the team working on a system, a style of play that they implement game to game, organised and working hard to implement it we can suddently start doing the basics and not look the shambles we do at the moment. Silva took over Hull when they looked awful and within days they looked a solid organised team that picked up good results pretty much straight away.

Just because the players werent responding to Koeman, and because Unsworth just hasnt been good enough for this level at this point, it doesnt mean a good manager coming in cant transform how we look quickly and then use the hopeful additions in January to help.