November 21, 2017, 11:11:30 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 18875 times)

Bluedylan, Normm, Mooley, Rodenplav64, KoemansNumberTens, Mayor Farnum and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 26, 2017, 06:00:07 PM
Reply #195

Waltzer

Yep, and he confirmed that the plan was to stay compact and then open the game up second half, which 100% worked, only missing the finishing touch in front of goal. Shows tactical awareness, not just chest thumping and 'getting us'.

Without trying to sound too down beat as the performance was better and there seemed to be much more desire, but its going to take more than a defeat against a second string Chelsea team to get me excited about the future or to strengthen Unsworths credentials to lead us forward. And whilst we stayed compact we still conceded and is it tactical awareness when he said he was only ever going to play McCarthy for 60 minutes, the game had to open up cause he was taking him off, it was premeditated and not necessarily reacting to the situation?

With the above said there were numerous plus points from the game but I think the next 2 games will be the real acid test as Leicester will surely have a boost following Puels appointment and Watford are flying, hope Beni gets a run out in the middle for them though.

deCoubertin

October 26, 2017, 06:07:36 PM
Reply #196

Bluedylan

Without trying to sound too down beat as the performance was better and there seemed to be much more desire, but its going to take more than a defeat against a second string Chelsea team to get me excited about the future or to strengthen Unsworths credentials to lead us forward. And whilst we stayed compact we still conceded and is it tactical awareness when he said he was only ever going to play McCarthy for 60 minutes, the game had to open up cause he was taking him off, it was premeditated and not necessarily reacting to the situation?

With the above said there were numerous plus points from the game but I think the next 2 games will be the real acid test as Leicester will surely have a boost following Puels appointment and Watford are flying, hope Beni gets a run out in the middle for them though.

I've said repeatedly (and Unsworth's said) we want the best manager for the club. If we could get Tuchel, or someone of that ilk, Unsworth shouldn't even be a consideration.

I'm just attempting to illustrate that in one 90 minute session he came up with a more coherent plan than Koeman managed in any game this season, and that we shouldn't just dismiss him as just a chest thumper with no tactical awareness. No it's not some tactical masterclass, but it was effective and but for poor finishing, would've worked a treat and won us the game. He deserves some credit for that in such a small amount of time.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 26, 2017, 06:07:59 PM
Reply #197

Lazarou

Oh piss off you realist  ;) (not the realist). Taking all that into account all that I doubt there would be many managers who could have coaxed that sort of performance from that team last night after the confidence sapping start to the season, long term who knows.

October 26, 2017, 06:09:10 PM
Reply #198

Macca77

How about Tuchel with Unsworth as his number 2

October 26, 2017, 06:12:18 PM
Reply #199

Waltzer

Oh piss off you realist  ;) (not the realist). Taking all that into account all that I doubt there would be many managers who could have coaxed that sort of performance from that team last night after the confidence sapping start to the season, long term who knows.

Abuse accepted :)
I suppose we'll see at the weekend what type of response the Leicester team have with their new manager? I do hope Unsworth smashes it but I also think you cant really read much into last night

October 26, 2017, 06:56:13 PM
Reply #200

Gash

Global Moderator
Without trying to sound too down beat as the performance was better and there seemed to be much more desire, but its going to take more than a defeat against a second string Chelsea team to get me excited about the future or to strengthen Unsworths credentials to lead us forward.

They still had a strong team out and we weren't exactly at full strength either. A young lad making his debut, two players who'd hardly featured and very inexperienced right back. At the risk of repeating myself, the fact they had to bring in Fabregas, Morata and Pedro to see the game out says a lot about how uncomfortable we made it for them.

October 26, 2017, 08:36:26 PM
Reply #201

Normm

How about Tuchel with Unsworth as his number 2

Patience! Give the man a chance. That second half display was the most encouraging performance I have seen from Everton in months. I doubt any other manager could have produced this reaction from the players.

For the first time in ages, Everton actually looked like a team.

October 26, 2017, 08:57:57 PM
Reply #202

Evertonian in NC

Also our thing should be we are number 1 for top prospects. We can't be number 1 for worldclass players but we can be the best place for young players who maybe wouldn't get in a Chelsea or city team yet
Unsworth would be perfect for that.

Honestly I think he's absolutely what we need. Someone to build fantastic team spirit, someone who appreciates the value of our youth teams, someone with genuine passion for the club
It appears he wants us to play aggressive pressing football. We aren't going to get relegated. I'd love to see him given this season to prove his value. Who on the list isn't a risk. We get to try before we buy with unsworth. Think he could be a great manager if we give him a go instead of being snobby about it

And no more Quixotic runs like the Rooney vanity project, which was so very West Ham of us.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 26, 2017, 11:08:47 PM
Reply #203

Coyb12

Funny that, it was mostly our second 11 too.
Don't be silly.

October 26, 2017, 11:20:05 PM
Reply #204

Rodenplav64

Can we stop calling the likes of Willian , Kenedy , Batshuayi , Christensen , Zapacosta , Cahill , Pedro , Drinkwater , Moratta and Fabregas 2nd string . Given the comparative strength of both squads it was a great effort under the circumstances .

October 26, 2017, 11:44:21 PM
Reply #205

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Don't be silly.

Let's see:

Kenny
Jags or Williams
Mirallas
Lennon
McCarthy
Baningime
And Davies hasn't been in the first 11 much this season either.

Then the subs Lookman and Niasse.

So yes, my statement is correct.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

October 26, 2017, 11:46:36 PM
Reply #206

Coyb12

Let's see how many are playing Sunday.

October 26, 2017, 11:47:12 PM
Reply #207

Waltzer

Can we stop calling the likes of Willian , Kenedy , Batshuayi , Christensen , Zapacosta , Cahill , Pedro , Drinkwater , Moratta and Fabregas 2nd string . Given the comparative strength of both squads it was a great effort under the circumstances .

Kenedy , Batshuayi , Christensen , Zapacosta ,  Drinkwater rarely start, neither does Cabellero and you could probably throw Willian in to that too. Yes most would walk into our first team but not theirs. Fabregas didnt come on until 63 minutes and Morata 85th, so yes predominantly it was Chelsea' second string, or should I call them 'not their fist team regulars'?

October 26, 2017, 11:48:31 PM
Reply #208

Waltzer

Kenedy , Batshuayi , Christensen , Zapacosta ,  Drinkwater rarely start, neither does Cabellero and you could probably throw Willian in to that too. Yes most would walk into our first team but not theirs. Fabregas didnt come on until 63 minutes and Morata 85th, so yes predominantly it was Chelsea' second string, or should I call them 'not their fist team regulars'? Also, 17 year old Ethan Ampadu made his debut in centre midfield for them!

October 27, 2017, 12:04:40 AM
Reply #209

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
My heart says it would be great to give Unsy a chance but my head says it's a risk. There are so many parts of a managers job that Unsy probably lacks experience in. My imediate concern would be how would he cope with the upcoming transfer window? Does he, largely, leave it to Steve Walsh, or do the board trust him to identify targets? On the field he will almost certainly make mistakes but overall that doesn't worry me as what he brings on that side probably outweighs the negatives.
How would the fans react if the club took the risk and it didn't work, and when would we decide it wasn't working?
It's all about opinions and I think it's worth the risk. Why? Because if it worked we would have something so rare and precious in modern football. A real Evertonian in charge, someone who knows the club and its culture. It may put back progress on the field for 12 months as mistakes will be made but long term? Just think about it!
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.