November 25, 2017, 01:48:45 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 22299 times)

October 28, 2017, 01:04:21 AM
Reply #240

van der Meyde

Probably earned one though.

Good to keep him happy, endorse his importance to club. I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs were in his agents ear.
I suspect @kramer0's point is a little more along the lines of we should actually be selling him to one of the clubs in his agent's ear...

Given that we're constrained by FFP, selling for a profit, rather than tying a 28 year old player until he's well in to his 30s, is definitely the more analayticsy thing to do.

One might suggest that we're seeing the problems with new contracts with Jagielka and Baines now too. 👀

deCoubertin

October 28, 2017, 01:36:52 AM
Reply #241

Ridge

I suspect @kramer0's point is a little more along the lines of we should actually be selling him to one of the clubs in his agent's ear...

Given that we're constrained by FFP, selling for a profit, rather than tying a 28 year old player until he's well in to his 30s, is definitely the more analayticsy thing to do.

One might suggest that we're seeing the problems with new contracts with Jagielka and Baines now too. 👀

If you're thinking about selling, you're still better off signing a new deal. It will increase or help retain player value. From about 2 years out, you'll can see a decline in relations and a devaluing of a player's worth. Think Gana signed 4 years deal, so would be down to 2 in the summer, same place as Lukaku is summer just gone.

Transfer fees reflect the value of a contract and so, agreeing a new one, pushes the price up and it might deter suitors, but I don't think we'd have any difficulty selling Gueye if we wanted to.

He's the kind of player that fans can take for granted and complain about his creative side, but that he's involved that much is the point with players like Kante and Gueye. It's like a homing sensor, a low centre of gravity and no off switch.

That first goal against Arsenal will be forgotten because of the relatively small significance. But that was not a gift or a mistake, it was a forced mistake and so valuable in that area of the pitch and something he does on a scale that none of our other players compete with.

I'm not sure Gueye and Beni sounds like the partnership, or tutelage you'd want to endorse, but if it makes sense and works, who are we to judge.

October 28, 2017, 02:13:33 AM
Reply #242

KoemansNumberTens

Surely it depends on the numbers. Does anyone actually know the numbers

October 28, 2017, 02:21:23 AM
Reply #243

van der Meyde

Transfer fees reflect the value of a contract and so, agreeing a new one, pushes the price up and it might deter suitors, but I don't think we'd have any difficulty selling Gueye if we wanted to.
I think you're neglecting the other side of a player's contract: the player's wages.

There are some frankly outrageous salaries being rumoured for the likes of Sandro, Sigurdsson and Klaassen. It wouldn't be at all unreasonable for him to demand parity with them if that was true.

Everton might not have a problem finding a buyer, but Gueye would almost certainly have trouble finding somebody who'll match a salary of 100k+/week for that length of time.

October 28, 2017, 02:39:47 AM
Reply #244

Evertonian in NC

New contract doesn't mean he can't be sold, mind.

The American reports say Everton think/want Beni to become our version of Kante, and eventually replace Gana in the engine room.  But it's nice for there to be assured an orderly transition.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 30, 2017, 12:33:27 AM
Reply #245

Shogun

Administrator
He showed too much faith in certain players today.

Sigurdsson has shown over the last three seasons he's a top player whereas Rooney? No so much.

DCL isn't enough of a goal threat as much as I like him. Niasse would have been a better option, especially away from home.

Davies in a midfield 2 just doesn't work. Play Schneiderlin if he's fit enough to make the bench.

Not much choice in the back 4 so can't criticise him much. Perhaps Holgate for Kenny but even he gave away a stupid penalty against Lyon.

Might have even been better countering their back 3 with one of our own but that's hindsight.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 30, 2017, 12:54:43 AM
Reply #246

Ridge

I'm Niasse's biggest fan, today he was dire. Kenny offers more than Cuco in passing and going forward, today defensive solidity was the issue, and Kenny struggled with that. Davies worst game, but his workload was massive. Lennon should have got pen and had a 1v1 he passed on.

But it was the wrong call in hindsight, trying to be positive and aggressive. You can't tell how all the players will perform or the weak links, you can only go on evidence. But changes during the game were good again and identified problems and improved, and we had ambition and attacking intent throughout, even if we didn't create much.

I think it was a game, that most of the more pragmatic managers would have settled for a draw, setup defence to be solid and then see what they can create or nick as you frustrate. Second half we found that wasn't a lot, but they'd already got it in the bag, so they didn't have to open up.

It was a bad result, a poor performance, but there are not obvious solutions, or otherwise he wouldn't be in the role. I thought he has identified problems and managed what he can, in terms of dropping Keane in defence. But solving creativity and goalscoring issues is never likely to happen overnight.

And can understand that when we were planning to press high up and take game to Leicester, you can't afford players who aren't really settled in the team. In that individual errors or misunderstanding, will leave you open to a dangerous fast team. But I think someone like Vlasic, might be worth playing into the team. It's just that Koeman and now Unsworth know they don't have the time to ride it out, each game is too important.

October 30, 2017, 12:55:04 AM
Reply #247

toffee_scot

I'd still keep Unsworth in charge for at least a few more games, although the result was unacceptable today, the players looked more upbeat and committed than they did under Koeman and he's still trying to work out the best plan for a team that was completely lacking any confidence and direction under previous management.

I think Unsworth was a little naive in the first half playing both Davies and Gana in a 2 man central midfield (well 3 if you count the number of times Rooney dropped deep. The substitutions were a bit weird with both wingers being dropped, I disagree with the manager's comment that Mirallas "couldn't get into the game" as he was at least trying to create things. We had more possession and dominated the second half, but I wonder if it was more because Leicester let us because they knew they could create great chances on the counterattack and quite frankly their defence was really on top of everything.

I expect Unsworth will have learnt from this and improve things for the Watford game.

October 30, 2017, 12:55:56 AM
Reply #248

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Sigurdsson has shown over the last three seasons he's a top player whereas Rooney? No so much.

DCL isn't enough of a goal threat as much as I like him. Niasse would have been a better option, especially away from home.

Davies in a midfield 2 just doesn't work. Play Schneiderlin if he's fit enough to make the bench.

Not much choice in the back 4 so can't criticise him much. Perhaps Holgate for Kenny but even he gave away a stupid penalty against Lyon.

Might have even been better countering their back 3 with one of our own but that's hindsight.
I totally disagree with the niasse comment as away from home for me you need someone to make it stick

Sigurdsson has been poor since he signed and rooney had been nowhere near as bad so I go that

Didn't get the subs at all.... He came out in the paper this week saying he likes width, balls in the box etc so why take off two wingers??

Simply simply lovely

October 30, 2017, 01:04:45 AM
Reply #249

wepull

What happened to Vlasic, is he injured or that Unsy doesn't like him much?

October 30, 2017, 01:32:57 AM
Reply #250

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Hes a gobshite, but not sure what to make of this comment?

If it's true I hope it doesn't cause a rift, had enough of them.

https://twitter.com/Joey7Barton/status/924714884817965062

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 30, 2017, 02:16:19 AM
Reply #251

Heisenberg

Agree with all except niasse shout. DCL is a target at least so I think the team is better off with him opposed to oumar

October 30, 2017, 02:32:21 AM
Reply #252

gizzblue

Hes a gobshite, but not sure what to make of this comment?

If it's true I hope it doesn't cause a rift, had enough of them.

https://twitter.com/Joey7Barton/status/924714884817965062
Don't even read his shite,has a fucking idiot yard dog twat, who's inability to be civil at best stopped him having any real chance at a decent career ...now he's a prick pundit type who thinks he's Cantona Esq in his musings ...

Fucking yoghurt of a man.

October 30, 2017, 02:43:19 AM
Reply #253

Shogun

Administrator
Agree with all except niasse shout. DCL is a target at least so I think the team is better off with him opposed to oumar

I don't see the point in having a striker to make it stick when he can't score goals anyway.

At least Niasse has a knack of scoring terrible goals
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 30, 2017, 02:44:03 AM
Reply #254

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Don't even read his shite,has a fucking idiot yard dog twat, who's inability to be civil at best stopped him having any real chance at a decent career ...now he's a prick pundit type who thinks he's Cantona Esq in his musings ...

Fucking yoghurt of a man.

Do you like him?
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"