October 17, 2019, 01:03:22 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 60470 times)

October 28, 2017, 01:04:21 AM
Read 60470 times

van der Meyde

Probably earned one though.

Good to keep him happy, endorse his importance to club. I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs were in his agents ear.
I suspect @kramer0's point is a little more along the lines of we should actually be selling him to one of the clubs in his agent's ear...

Given that we're constrained by FFP, selling for a profit, rather than tying a 28 year old player until he's well in to his 30s, is definitely the more analayticsy thing to do.

One might suggest that we're seeing the problems with new contracts with Jagielka and Baines now too. 👀

October 28, 2017, 02:21:23 AM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

Transfer fees reflect the value of a contract and so, agreeing a new one, pushes the price up and it might deter suitors, but I don't think we'd have any difficulty selling Gueye if we wanted to.
I think you're neglecting the other side of a player's contract: the player's wages.

There are some frankly outrageous salaries being rumoured for the likes of Sandro, Sigurdsson and Klaassen. It wouldn't be at all unreasonable for him to demand parity with them if that was true.

Everton might not have a problem finding a buyer, but Gueye would almost certainly have trouble finding somebody who'll match a salary of 100k+/week for that length of time.

November 20, 2017, 09:49:39 PM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

It's more competitive than Scottish or Greek leagues, and we weren't favourites or have best team.
We had a 26 year old striker with plenty of first team experience banging them in for half the season and, to quote one opposing manager, "the three best midfielders of the age group in the country".

I'm one of the most sympathetic to the Unsworth in shouts, and he deserves a lot of credit for what he did, but let's not pretend he was given a poor hand.