October 22, 2018, 09:31:05 PM

Poll

Sign his new contract

Yes.
111 (24.1%)
No.
80 (17.4%)
Will wait to see what happens with the new management position.
89 (19.3%)
He's already on his bike and he's off.
181 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 461

Author Topic: Ross Barkley. Will he, or won't he?  (Read 41031 times)

January 04, 2018, 07:48:53 PM
Reply #390

Cereal Killer

Hindsight will show it was a wise move not signing a new contract. Not that him or his agent were that bright to see it at the time but in the end it'll prove a decent bit of business for his career. wallet & agent

:whistle:

January 04, 2018, 07:51:10 PM
Reply #391

dekko

He had a really bad hamstring injury, who knows if he'll ever recover 100%. My guess is that as soon as he'll be playing well again, he'll be back on the sidelines.
Even so, I really wished he stayed with us.

January 04, 2018, 07:57:56 PM
Reply #392

Macca77

Pinched this from TEF, it's pretty much spot on

If he wants to leave to further his career, that's fine. None of us like it, but we should be used to it by now; Rooney, Lescott, Arteta, Pienaar, Fellaini, Stones, Deulofeu, Lukaku - it's nothing new for us to sell our best players.

I know we aren't a top team and haven't been for years, so as much as we hate it and might feel we're a big club, we just have to accept that. We all thought we could spend our way to competing with the best teams, but as we've seen this season, that's proving to be much harder than we might've thought - and that's down to the idiots identifying the targets.

With Barkley, the thing that's really got me is the summer and how he's shafted us of £10-20m.

He had a move to the Premier League champions. A team that wins a trophy every other year. A team in the Champions League. With World Class Players. World Class Manager... They wanted him in August. He was in the building.

But instead of signing, for whatever reason, he's decided to stay with us, to let us get him back fit, have him mixing with our squad like a bad apple - when really he should be somebody else's problem.

And crucially, in making that little decision, he's done a number on the club. The club he's meant to support, no less.

Listen - I do think he was subjected to unnecessary jeers from the Goodison crowd, I don't agree with the Koeman method of public criticism and I do think the club took his 'Evertonian-ism' for granted by not offering him improved terms far quicker (when they've been handing out 6 figure contracts to much worse players for a while now).

However (and I think this outweighs that)... This is the club who gave him the platform to be the player he's become, stuck with him when he had a potentially career ending injury, nursed him back to fitness time after time (even now) and allegedly the club he supports.

So like I say, if he wants to play at a higher level - fine. But not running a contract down like this, it's rat behaviour.

And if he goes to Spurs - a side who win as many trophies as we do currently (ie none). It's just shocking to be honest.

January 04, 2018, 08:00:53 PM
Reply #393

TSGun

Oh how I've fantasized about an Everton team containing both Barkley and Rooney over the years. *sigh*

Is it actually official he's off?

January 04, 2018, 08:03:06 PM
Reply #394

Lxxx

I love it when you make 2+2 = 5. If you had the time of your life why does he  need 100K a week to enjoy the same ? The two things are not related as you so rightly demonstrated .

What??

January 04, 2018, 08:04:16 PM
Reply #395

Waltzer

Pinched this from TEF, it's pretty much spot on

Cant argue with most of that. The money is pretty much irrelevant in my opinion, whats the difference between 35 and 20 million in todays football world? We've wasted much more than that and its his prerogative to do what he wants. It again strikes me as bad management from the top, 2 years ago he was offered a new contract, he refused and as a result should have been put on the transfer list, we have let this happen just as much as him

January 04, 2018, 08:10:37 PM
Reply #396

Lxxx

I would argue itís Spurs who have done a number on us.

Barkley had no obligation to sign for Chelsea if, as was rumoured, Conte wasnít keen and didnít even bother to meet with him.

Spurs probably said sit tight until January when you are fit, as is there right to do.

Itís just a mess of a situation with the blame at pretty much everyoneís door over the past few years, all contributing to where we are now.

January 04, 2018, 08:21:59 PM
Reply #397

Macca77

Who does he replace in the Spurs side though? He will get game time but very much doubt he will be a regular starter

January 04, 2018, 08:31:07 PM
Reply #398

Lxxx

Who does he replace in the Spurs side though? He will get game time but very much doubt he will be a regular starter

Heíll be part of a top squad playing in big games against top European teams. If he has anything about himself he has to back his own ability and take his chances when he gets them in that kind of scenario.

January 04, 2018, 08:31:48 PM
Reply #399

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

Wouldn't think he'd start every game for us either though really.
Certainly wasn't last season

January 04, 2018, 09:30:15 PM
Reply #400

therealdunc

Wouldn't think he'd start every game for us either though really.
Certainly wasn't last season

This

Are people forgetting how bad he was at times last season and his complete lack of a football brain?

Unless heís been to see the wizard of oz to get a new brain, I donít have any problem with him leaving
Blue

January 04, 2018, 09:38:14 PM
Reply #401

blue1948

What??
You said you had the time of your life but implied you didn't have the 100k a week .What is hard to understand ?

January 04, 2018, 09:40:40 PM
Reply #402

blue1948

Heíll be part of a top squad playing in big games against top European teams. If he has anything about himself he has to back his own ability and take his chances when he gets them in that kind of scenario.
You do know who this link is about ! He hasn't ever " backed his own ability" or took a chance!

January 04, 2018, 09:42:53 PM
Reply #403

JPMck01

Just been listening to Talksport Hawksbee and Jacobs, had a guy on who reports on both us and the RS.

Guy said, Big Sam was told when he joined to forget about Ross heís already gone, be it to Chelsea or Spurs. Heíll either go this window or in the summer but heís definitely gone.

January 04, 2018, 09:44:26 PM
Reply #404

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
He's going for money, so he won't be going to Spurs, who would only pay him half of what we offered.

It'll be It's, City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool, as they would all take a punt on a free transfer, but pay a decent salary, not sure any of them would pay a fee for him though, so doubt it'll be this month, who knows though.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"