November 21, 2018, 01:33:40 PM

Author Topic: Leicester City v Everton  (Read 28687 times)

October 30, 2017, 12:26:23 AM
Reply #15

Bluedylan

Agree with Carragher that if we don't beat Watford that we look in trouble. A win there could change the landscape a bit. Still not ready to write Unsworth off. He's come into a difficult situation and had tough games.

Not panic stations yet (for me) but getting worrying.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 30, 2017, 12:31:03 AM
Reply #16

Bluedylan

Not ready to write him off but its a little worrying the players who seem totally out of favour. Need big changes in team selection

He's not worked with many of the players before so it's understandable he's tried to go with players he has an idea about at this stage. We were just a bit too open at the start today, and didn't pay enough attention to how Leicester like to play.

Being 0-0 at 60 minutes would've been a good situation for us today.

October 30, 2017, 12:38:34 AM
Reply #17

Bluedylan

Didn't do himself any favours today though. A point would have been a good result but we left ourselves open today.

We were just a bit too open at the start today, and didn't pay enough attention to how Leicester like to play.

Being 0-0 at 60 minutes would've been a good situation for us today.

October 30, 2017, 12:53:36 AM
Reply #18

Bluedylan

For me the subs worked, made us less open and gave us a foothold in the game with a narrow diamond. We controlled the ball better and didn't get caught on the break as much.

The starting lineup was the issue.

October 30, 2017, 12:58:48 AM
Reply #19

Bluedylan

At 2 -0 i think they thought the game was won, it was, and that's the only reason we came back into it, nothing really to do with the changes

Yeah but you're relentlessly negative about everything, so I'm gonna take that with a massive pinch of salt.

October 30, 2017, 01:07:06 AM
Reply #20

Bluedylan

Leicester knew we wouldn't score is a month of Sundays and were happy to preserve the two nil scoreline.

Which is exactly why it was the starting lineup being too open that cost us, not the subs. You can't give a team who excel on the counter a 2-0 lead.

At least with the 4-4-2 diamond, we protected the space in front of our back 4, where they were killing us and had 2 strikers in the box to occupy them more. It was a sound tactical switch, but a bad initial setup.

October 30, 2017, 01:15:00 AM
Reply #21

Bluedylan

Don't know. Surely at 2 nil we can't opt to take attacking players off and be more solid. At 0-0 the line up was wrong and at 2-0 the line up was wrong. The 2-0 line up at nil nil would be fine but both were crap for the situation we were in

It's never that simple. Sometimes taking a forward or wide player off for a midfielder gets you more of the ball, and you become more attacking and create more chances.

If we'd stayed as open as we were 1st half, we could lost that 5-0. You might say 'what does it matter?' but it does matter. He was trying to get us control of the midfield and get another striker in the box in the hope that we scored next and made a game of it. It was a good decision, in my opinion and worked. Unfortunately one of our strikers is a young lad struggling a bit and the other is a loose cannon with very little technical ability.

October 30, 2017, 01:42:09 AM
Reply #22

Bluedylan

Hmmm. But what about pace and width?  Have you watched much premier league recently? ;-)

I apologise. You were right about pace in defence but most were banging on about wingers. It's interesting though the number of myths that have debunked recently.

Don't worry about it, I get called an idiot regularly ;)

I do think pace in the forwards is important still but I think in this particular game the switch to a diamond worked.

I also get that people are feeling shit about the results, and worried about the situation and after the match a lot of people just want to vent because it's hard to watch and it hurts.

But I don't think, once things have calmed down, we should just say 'everything's shit' because there is a way out of this.

We should maybe switch to a Moyesian 451 for the time being, protect the defence better, work hard and try to graft a few results out, not just play on the front foot.

We need to build confidence before we start trying to play more expansive football.

October 30, 2017, 01:49:45 AM
Reply #23

Bluedylan

4-5-1 demands a striker, or offensive player, that is disciplined, holds the ball up and is the fulcrum of the attacking play. We don't have that kind of player in the squad.

I think DCL and/or Rooney can do that job if you drum into them that they are going to be leading the line, don't drop deep and do a bit of a thankless task for the team.

I don't mean playing garbage football either. You can play some decent stuff with a 451 but just be much more compact and not be upset if we're 0-0 in games at HT. We need wins and clean sheets to build any sort of confidence.