September 26, 2018, 05:36:45 PM

Author Topic: Leicester City v Everton  (Read 26469 times)

October 27, 2017, 01:10:04 AM
Read 26469 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think the biggest issue with dropping Rooney is that I'm not sure we have another goal threat.

Not many players look like scoring but he is one of them who you always feel could grab a goal.

He may not always follow instructions but I think if we can get another midfield player closer to him we will see more of the ball and he will be more likely to hold his position.

Yes we played well as soon as Davies was pushed up nearer to him.

The issue is if were deep and and the midfield gets dragged back they need to be accurate with their passes, and weve struggled to pass the ball 10 yards from cm areas this season.

But hopefully well be more on the front foot more often and also improve our general play anyway.

October 28, 2017, 01:43:18 AM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We've only got two scorers in the league all season so that's not much of an achievement and considering two of those came in the first two matches and another was a penalty then I don't think you should overstate his importance either.

Its more everyone else gets a pass because of how poor weve been, yet hes looked better than pretty much everyone else but isnt afforded the same presumed upswing.

October 28, 2017, 03:03:20 AM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
DCL needs to carry more goal threat in PL matches for any sort of reliance to be placed on him.

I cant recall many missed chances which is a worry, more than if he was missing a couple of good ones a game.

He obviously has the advantage if were solely going to be playing balls into the channels but youd hope in most games that wed be at least equal in possession / territory etc.

Re Rooney Id say anyone majorly disappointed with him is a) not applying the same reasons for others poor form so far and b) doing the opposite of sentimentality and comparing what he is now to about 5-8 years ago.

October 28, 2017, 07:36:10 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Really looking forward to this game with excitement (first time this year). ...but I'm another who thinks Rooney's nomad style is to the detriment of the team ...fair enough if he sticks to his position he can be dangerous still ,but he 's not the player he was and needs to realise others are as good if not better than him ,he can't carry a team anymore.
Wanna see that pace  width and fast passing from the second half the other night again(that Koeman couldn't get out the squad).

All the better passing came while he was on the pitch though.

October 28, 2017, 07:39:00 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Not often I disagree with you but it depends why you think weve been so poor. How much was it the players selected, the tactics, etc.  Ill hold my hand up and say I wasnt for Rooney coming back on the basis of his form at Man Utd these last few years. So maybe Im biased.

However, I just see a continuation of the Man Utd form here, and were looking awfully like Man United were at times in recent seasons. I think he has played well in periods in most games, but I also think Koeman was playing a lot of things through him as a substitute for tactics at times. Get the ball to Rooney, hell dictate things...we were mimicking the England national team and their poor management. That as it did at Man Utd come at a certain cost. Mind you, not saying its all negative as he clearly can contribute but just Id rather it in more limited terms than we are right now. But no, I dont suppose I give Rooney as much of the benefit of the doubt that hed significantly change, as beyond Everton this is what weve seen from him at Man United or England. And while he has got what 4 goals from open play, something were struggling with hes also pretty dang lucky not have given away a couple from some suicidal passing in midfield.

Personally, I think were struggling more because the options we have for what we need right now. I dont think Rooney (while still offering a goal threat)  is what we need for a regular starter, but I dont think DCL is ready yet either. No goals in the PL this season while probably most opportunities of Amy of our options is not something we can rely on. Mirallas works but offers very sporadic benefits. Sandro...who knows but Id probably have the most leniency toward him as I think he needs some guidance but he hasnt played as smart as Id like so hes probably in the not quite yet camp with DCL. That leaves us with Niasse..?

We need better options, but I doubt thats a statement most would find very radical.

I dont think we can expect much better from Rooney, much like I doubt we can expect a radical change in goal haul from DCL. We need to find/buy other ways, and other players to contribute.

Yes I dont think hes ideal as the number 9 anymore.

Re his Utd form, I can see why people think its a continuation therefore he wont change; but Id say hes been better for us and Id expect a better performing team (as we saw in the second half) to not be affected because he is or isnt doing x, y or z. At least not anymore than any other player.

October 29, 2017, 12:18:35 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If we had the money to go out and recruit heavily these next two windows, would you be looking to bring in different players for that attacking third?

Basically, would you be looking to replace Rooney from the starting XI? DCL? Or are they good enough for what we need?

For an out and out striker yes.

Based on how hes played so far and assuming hell improve like everyone else as the team does Id be fine if Rooney is still in the attack somewhere.

October 29, 2017, 02:24:24 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If we had the money to go out and recruit heavily these next two windows, would you be looking to bring in different players for that attacking third?

Basically, would you be looking to replace Rooney from the starting XI? DCL? Or are they good enough for what we need?

On a general point about the striker we might find it a bit easier in Jan / next summer as before we were looking for a very specific skill set.

Whoever is in charge may have a more general requirement from the striker so hopefully the pool of options is bigger.