November 20, 2017, 02:03:31 AM

Author Topic: Leicester City v Everton  (Read 9630 times)

October 30, 2017, 01:09:32 AM
Reply #885

Waltzer

Which is exactly why it was the starting lineup being too open that cost us, not the subs. You can't give a team who excel on the counter a 2-0 lead.

At least with the 4-4-2 diamond, we protected the space in front of our back 4, where they were killing us and had 2 strikers in the box to occupy them more. It was a sound tactical switch, but a bad initial setup.
How can you categorically say it would've been any different if we started with that formation? They dropped down about 30% in the second half with regards to tempo as they new it was won and probably still had the better chances

October 30, 2017, 01:09:58 AM
Reply #886

KoemansNumberTens

Which is exactly why it was the starting lineup being too open that cost us, not the subs. You can't give a team who excel on the counter a 2-0 lead.

At least with the 4-4-2 diamond, we protected the space in front of our back 4, where they were killing us and had 2 strikers in the box to occupy them more. It was a sound tactical switch, but a bad initial setup.

Don't know. Surely at 2 nil we can't opt to take attacking players off and be more solid. At 0-0 the line up was wrong and at 2-0 the line up was wrong. The 2-0 line up at nil nil would be fine but both were crap for the situation we were in

October 30, 2017, 01:12:23 AM
Reply #887

Mayor Farnum

But the 4-4-2 was not tested in as competitive a manner as the starting line up. It is by no means proof that 4-4-2 would have been the difference between victory and defeat today. We could not put two passes together and made individual mistakes all over the pitch.

October 30, 2017, 01:15:00 AM
Reply #888

Bluedylan

Don't know. Surely at 2 nil we can't opt to take attacking players off and be more solid. At 0-0 the line up was wrong and at 2-0 the line up was wrong. The 2-0 line up at nil nil would be fine but both were crap for the situation we were in

It's never that simple. Sometimes taking a forward or wide player off for a midfielder gets you more of the ball, and you become more attacking and create more chances.

If we'd stayed as open as we were 1st half, we could lost that 5-0. You might say 'what does it matter?' but it does matter. He was trying to get us control of the midfield and get another striker in the box in the hope that we scored next and made a game of it. It was a good decision, in my opinion and worked. Unfortunately one of our strikers is a young lad struggling a bit and the other is a loose cannon with very little technical ability.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 30, 2017, 01:16:08 AM
Reply #889

Macca77

I dont understand how the fuck we allow teams so much space all the time, they press us when we have the ball, we're incapable of doing that, we just drop back and make it so fucking easy for teams to play out from the back, the amount of space we give them is shocking, its basic football, schoolboy stuff. Its not a new thing by the way, its been going on for well over a year, we were lucky last season cos we had goals in us, we havent anymore, its worrying.

Dreading Lyon on Thursday and the Watford game, horrible to feel like this but theres no positived at all right now

October 30, 2017, 01:23:08 AM
Reply #890

Faceatthefence

I dont understand how the fuck we allow teams so much space all the time, they press us when we have the ball, we're incapable of doing that, we just drop back and make it so fucking easy for teams to play out from the back, the amount of space we give them is shocking, its basic football, schoolboy stuff. Its not a new thing by the way, its been going on for well over a year, we were lucky last season cos we had goals in us, we havent anymore, its worrying.

Dreading Lyon on Thursday and the Watford game, horrible to feel like this but theres no positived at all right now
Me too,would send the reserves to lyon and let unsie get a weeks training into a side that can compete next sunday.
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

October 30, 2017, 01:24:34 AM
Reply #891

Waltzer

As bad as things seem I really think we're a centre forward away from having a decent team. There are flaws, but we have no out ball or pose any threat, this is in theory freeing up extra players against us. When we had lukaku he would occupy 3 or 4 defenders at a time whereas now they're almost happy to go 1 on 1, were that toothless. We need to hang in there until January, get a striker, then we'll finish strong.

October 30, 2017, 01:24:59 AM
Reply #892

Evertonian in NC

I'm glad you guys can still try to analyze it.  Gives me something to read so I don't just stew in my dark thoughts.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 30, 2017, 01:25:22 AM
Reply #893

D3blue

For a million a season, I would.

Hell, I'd do it for half a mill.
Well actually I would too

October 30, 2017, 01:30:16 AM
Reply #894

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Just for the record Sam fucking Allardyce IS NOT our saviour.

Imagine his agent knocking on Bill and Mosh's door

"Excuse me gentleman, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Saviour, Samuel of Allardyce?"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:31:40 AM by Brownie20 »
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

October 30, 2017, 01:31:36 AM
Reply #895

ally2

It's never that simple. Sometimes taking a forward or wide player off for a midfielder gets you more of the ball, and you become more attacking and create more chances.

If we'd stayed as open as we were 1st half, we could lost that 5-0. You might say 'what does it matter?' but it does matter. He was trying to get us control of the midfield and get another striker in the box in the hope that we scored next and made a game of it. It was a good decision, in my opinion and worked. Unfortunately one of our strikers is a young lad struggling a bit and the other is a loose cannon with very little technical ability.

Hmmm. But what about pace and width?  Have you watched much premier league recently? ;-)

I apologise. You were right about pace in defence but most were banging on about wingers. It's interesting though the number of myths that have debunked recently.

October 30, 2017, 01:39:58 AM
Reply #896

Mayor Farnum

Well we need one so whoever it is needs to get here quickly.

October 30, 2017, 01:42:09 AM
Reply #897

Bluedylan

Hmmm. But what about pace and width?  Have you watched much premier league recently? ;-)

I apologise. You were right about pace in defence but most were banging on about wingers. It's interesting though the number of myths that have debunked recently.

Don't worry about it, I get called an idiot regularly ;)

I do think pace in the forwards is important still but I think in this particular game the switch to a diamond worked.

I also get that people are feeling shit about the results, and worried about the situation and after the match a lot of people just want to vent because it's hard to watch and it hurts.

But I don't think, once things have calmed down, we should just say 'everything's shit' because there is a way out of this.

We should maybe switch to a Moyesian 451 for the time being, protect the defence better, work hard and try to graft a few results out, not just play on the front foot.

We need to build confidence before we start trying to play more expansive football.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 30, 2017, 01:42:17 AM
Reply #898

Heisenberg

I really wish we'd have got maguire instead of keane

October 30, 2017, 01:42:30 AM
Reply #899

Lxxx

I'd love to agree with you, I really would.