November 21, 2017, 03:17:42 AM

Author Topic: [News]Gana close to new deal  (Read 853 times)

October 28, 2017, 04:48:13 PM
Read 853 times

Everton News

Gana close to new deal

Everton midfielder Idrissa Gana Guaye is close to signing a new long-term deal at the club.

Source: Gana close to new deal

deCoubertin

October 28, 2017, 06:55:33 PM
Reply #1

Martip

Brilliant little player

October 28, 2017, 08:58:54 PM
Reply #2

sam of the south

99.9% done apparently  :whistle:
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

October 29, 2017, 01:12:43 AM
Reply #3

gizzblue

99.9% done apparently  :whistle:
Thats what they said about Lukaku and Barkley ....uh oh .😅😅

October 30, 2017, 02:27:05 AM
Reply #4

kramer0

Doubling down on what I said in the Unsworth thread. This is a horrible idea.

Main Reason: He has no workable role. I'm sure we'd like to play him as a pure DM but he doesn't have the positional discipline, so the next option is to use him as more of a box-to-box player. The problem? He can't pass the ball in/into the final third effectively and he regularly kills attacks (or worse, starts counter attacks for the opposition). Could he be used alongside a positionally disciplined passer? Maybe, but unlike Kante, Gana has never shown any ability to use his defensive work to help us counter. So really, I'm not sure what his value to the team is. Tackles and interceptions aren't worth anything in and of themselves.

Secondary Reason: He relies on his pace to make loads of tackles and interceptions. Once he's past age 30, that pace is likely to decline, which means he won't be able to do nearly as much of what he's built his reputation on. His current contract expires after his age 30 season and, to me, that's perfect. His value will only erode from there.

He has a role in the squad but he's nowhere near worthy of being top earner and/or someone we build our team around. There, I said it. Tool away.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:38:20 AM by kramer0 »

October 30, 2017, 03:03:22 AM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I agree with @kramer0

He's not the answer. He's a decent player, but even with him and Schneiderlin, our midfield is still shite and weak.

Another player we need to upgrade eventually.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

October 30, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
Reply #6

van der Meyde

Fed up of him marauding around the pitch in search of a tackle and leaving gaps behind him, when he could stay back and make tackles in areas where the opposition will actually be dangerous.

October 30, 2017, 04:55:49 AM
Reply #7

Tinga

...oh god. We aren't turning on Gueye are we? What have we become.

I agree with @kramer0

He's not the answer. He's a decent player, but even with him and Schneiderlin, our midfield is still shite and weak.

Who is coming to this Everton team that will do a much better job than him? @kramer0 would be curious who you would get instead as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:57:17 AM by Tinga »

October 30, 2017, 05:01:40 AM
Reply #8

BlueBeagle

Roll back 12 months and there was genuine belief on here that he was world class.

Now people (possibly even the same people, I can't be arsed looking back to check) don't want to offer him a new deal.

October 30, 2017, 05:04:26 AM
Reply #9

gizzblue

He's still class but playing withing himself like the rest of the squad .

October 30, 2017, 05:05:01 AM
Reply #10

BlueBeagle

Who is coming to this Everton team that will do a much better job than him? @kramer0 would be curious who you would get instead as well.

Probably some obscure name from a team nobody watches but whose play makes pretty graphs with lots of xG stats and heat maps.

October 30, 2017, 05:14:21 AM
Reply #11

School of Science

I agree with @kramer0

Then why where these two players so good last year ?
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

October 30, 2017, 05:16:00 AM
Reply #12

kramer0

For a box-to-box role? Someone who covers ground but can also actually pass.

For a pure defensive midfield role? Someone who makes tackles and interceptions but doesn't abandon his position every time he sees an opponent with the ball.

There will be a lot of players fitting those criteria.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:20:11 AM by kramer0 »

October 30, 2017, 05:25:24 AM
Reply #13

Tinga

For a box-to-box role? Someone who covers ground but can also actually pass.

For a pure defensive midfield role? Someone who makes tackles and interceptions but doesn't abandon his position every time he sees an opponent with the ball.

There will be a lot of players fitting those criteria.

Surely you must have some players in mind though? I should point out though that we're Everton and we are currently sitting in 18th position and will be out of europe for the foreseeable.

Why can't Gana just be a defensive minded player like he was when we all loved him last season? Is it stated that he will be our highest earner by the way or did you just make that point to try and further your point against him?

October 30, 2017, 06:09:57 AM
Reply #14

kramer0

Surely you must have some players in mind though? I should point out though that we're Everton and we are currently sitting in 18th position and will be out of europe for the foreseeable.

Why can't Gana just be a defensive minded player like he was when we all loved him last season? Is it stated that he will be our highest earner by the way or did you just make that point to try and further your point against him?

- I don't have a personal database of players. I do some light research when we're linked and I get interesting tidbits from statistically-focused articles I read, but that's the extent of it.

- Defending is a team endeavor, not an individual one. If he's going to be on the pitch for purely defensive reasons then he has to stay in his zone. If Gana learns to hold his position like Schneiderlin typically does, or even like Baningime did today, then I would withdraw my complaint about him not filling a proper role in the team. (I still don't think he's worth a new contract, mind you.)

- The contract bit is guesswork. He's been hyped as a key player for us so I would imagine he'd be among the top earners. With that said, I've seen nothing specific about how much he'll earn which why I threw the "or" in there. Maybe I should have led with "build our team around him" because that's the more important point anyhow.