November 21, 2017, 10:45:32 AM

Author Topic: Baines makes me sad  (Read 1941 times)

October 30, 2017, 12:53:56 AM
Reply #15

Evertonian in NC

He did come closer to scoring than anybody else today.  But that doesn't really mitigate against the larger sadness, I agree.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

deCoubertin

October 30, 2017, 12:57:06 AM
Reply #16

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I do think the LB position is not far behind the striker position in terms of the urgency that we need to get it sorted.

I proper love Baines, but he offers little going forward now, and is left for dead going back against anyone with a bit of pace.

As someone else said, he could actually do a decent job as CM, similar to Davies position today, but I think time has now caught up with him at LB, teams are targeting that area.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:58:36 AM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 30, 2017, 12:59:05 AM
Reply #17

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
A left cb in a back three, he'd be sound there imo

It's a shame it's come to this as he's one of the best footballers I've seen

Simply simply lovely

October 30, 2017, 01:03:05 AM
Reply #18

Waltzer

I believe in the form is temporary blah blah blah, but he just doesn't look interested or look like he's actually trying, I'm sure he is though. If I was in charge I'd be tempted to go with 3 centre backs and 5 midfielders as both our fullbacks are letting us down badly, our cbs aren't much better admittedly

October 30, 2017, 01:13:25 AM
Reply #19

Ridge

I do wonder if we might see Garbutt get some game time in Europa and then if impresses, starts getting more game time. Baines movement, passing, quality on the ball is still light years ahead of our other full backs. But he has no space, no help and he's never had much pace or stamina.

Premier Leahgue football has become more about a central column, with athletes for full backs linking play and working as a winger. The difference the full backs have made to City, shows how important they are becoming in the modern game. This for obvious reasons doesn't suit Baines, in terms of him not being able to defend or attack with the same effect.

Struggling to think of another team in the league, that look to a left back to be a main creative force, when they don't really pin teams back.

October 30, 2017, 01:14:59 AM
Reply #20

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I do wonder if we might see Garbutt get some game time in Europa and then if impresses, starts getting more game time. Baines movement, passing, quality on the ball is still light years ahead of our other full backs. But he has no space, no help and he's never had much pace or stamina.

Premier Leahgue football has become more about a central column, with athletes for full backs linking play and working as a winger. The difference the full backs have made to City, shows how important they are becoming in the modern game. This for obvious reasons doesn't suit Baines, in terms of him not being able to defend or attack with the same effect.

Struggling to think of another team in the league, that look to a left back to be a main creative force, when they don't really pin teams back.
Not in the squad is he?

Simply simply lovely

October 30, 2017, 01:19:25 AM
Reply #21

Macca77

Been a superb player for us, one of our greats, but time has taken its toll, its horrible to see

October 30, 2017, 01:21:01 AM
Reply #22

Ridge

Not in the squad is he?

Of course, forgot about that. Maybe give some game time in remaining Europa fixtures.

You can play under 21s can't you, Gibson maybe?

October 30, 2017, 01:27:44 AM
Reply #23

Evertonian in NC

Time comes for us all.  Baines will always have a place in all of our hearts, for sure.  It was always criminal to think he could handle Europe and the Cups with no backup, even.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 30, 2017, 01:27:51 AM
Reply #24

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Of course, forgot about that. Maybe give some game time in remaining Europa fixtures.

You can play under 21s can't you, Gibson maybe?
I dunno tbh. We paid 6m tho allegedly for Gibson so you'd expect him to be decent.... Is he more of a cb tho?

Simply simply lovely

October 30, 2017, 01:56:58 AM
Reply #25

christiffa25

If Ashley Cole can lose it overnight at the same age as baines, then certainly baines can lose it.

He's certainly not the main problem currently but he has definitely not the same player anymore. Legs and age have caught up with him unfortunately. And he's having to play too much, as well as in a team that are terribly out of sorts.

If we could get him....I'd certainly be in the hunt for Luke Shaw. I think a loan deal this January could be done.

October 30, 2017, 02:09:11 AM
Reply #26

Heisenberg

Hasn't been arsed since he grew his hair and started hanging round with miles kane

October 30, 2017, 02:44:05 AM
Reply #27

Lxxx

He hasn't been all that for about four years truth be told. I think we have our royal blue tinted specs on when we think about Baines when in reality he should have been replaced years ago. The fact we had an offer turned down in the summer for Kolasinac tells you about where Koeman thought Baines was in his thinking.

October 30, 2017, 02:45:49 AM
Reply #28

TheTone

If Ashley Cole can lose it overnight at the same age as baines, then certainly baines can lose it.

He's certainly not the main problem currently but he has definitely not the same player anymore. Legs and age have caught up with him unfortunately. And he's having to play too much, as well as in a team that are terribly out of sorts.

If we could get him....I'd certainly be in the hunt for Luke Shaw. I think a loan deal this January could be done.

i'd sack footie in if we signed that wanker

October 30, 2017, 02:46:39 AM
Reply #29

KoemansNumberTens

i'd sack footie in if we signed that wanker

Why what's wrong with Luke shaw?