December 12, 2018, 07:41:45 AM

Author Topic: Rooney...  (Read 4046 times)

October 30, 2017, 03:03:09 AM
Read 4046 times

Evertonian in NC

I think there's a clear line in the sand when it comes to people's opinions of Rooney and that won't change. He shouldn't be playing week in week out no but he is our most creative player right now and was the only person creating any sort of threat. If someone else can do that then great but for all his flaws, right now it's difficult to see who comes in and does better.

I'd be far less annoyed if we didn't in fact do this - week in, week out, almost never dropping or resting him.  He'd be more effective if his minutes were managed, and if our team revolves around him, we're in big trouble.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 30, 2017, 05:50:37 PM
Reply #1

Evertonian in NC

We bought Sandro who is played alongside a big man, Rooney who is the prems most effective ever second striker, and sig who has only ever shone with a true nine in front of him.

It is november soon and Oumar Niasse is still a consideration for striker.

To the life of me, no clue why we don't try 2 up top. So many truly desperate things tried, this sensible option mostly left by the wayside.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 30, 2017, 11:42:59 PM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

From ESPNFC's recap (I agree with most everything they say):

http://www.espnfc.us/club/everton/368/blog/post/3250474/phil-jagielka-leighton-baines-show-their-age-in-defeat-at-leicester

MF Wayne Rooney, 5 -- A quality pass creating a chance in each half served as fleeting glimpses of the magic that seems to be running out. Too often, more of a threat to the Everton defence than the Leicester one thanks to poor touches and sloppy passes.

October 30, 2017, 11:46:12 PM
Reply #3

Evertonian in NC

For the record, I would go 2 up top, rotate the minutes between DCL, Sandro, and Rooney pretty much equally.  If Rooney can't maintain his position and keeps butting heads with Sigurdsson, I will give his minutes to Mirallas or God help me, Niasse I guess.

But that's all we haven't really tried, and I think it would take the pressure off everyone and allow us to get by with the personnel we have.

October 31, 2017, 12:05:52 AM
Reply #4

Evertonian in NC

I don't see Unsworth doing it. I really don't.

I wanted Rooney here, but in more sparsely used role. I did not want what we're seeing, and I think he came here because he wanted to keep playing full time and, unfortunately, I think we actually offered it to him.

I was worried that would be the deal, re-assured that wasn't what we were doing, then Koeman turned out to be much less strong than I had hoped (and Rhino is clearly deferring to him, we will see if he continues to do so after being shown up on Sunday)