November 19, 2017, 03:42:16 AM

Author Topic: Rooney...  (Read 1740 times)

October 30, 2017, 09:22:28 PM
Reply #45

BlueForYou

I'm with Waltzer

As Lxxx said, Koeman (and his players) couldn't fashion a goal threat

We'll have to wait and see if any successor can fathom a way - doubt it
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

deCoubertin

October 30, 2017, 09:22:51 PM
Reply #46

Django

NSNO Subscriber
This is the problem that's plagued Rooney his entire career.

He's on another wavelength to the crap we're serving up this season. I personally believe we'd score more goals if we played him up top with Barkley off him. Someone needs to come in and take the pressure off him.

My biggest worry is far from being Wayne Rooney. He's quality. It's the fact we've spent + of 65million on another 2 number 10s. One who isn't fit to play PL football and one who's a one trick pony with no one to finish his crosses.

October 30, 2017, 09:23:45 PM
Reply #47

boothill

I'd say Sigurdsson has quality and testicular fortitude, judging on his displays for Swansea and Iceland. He's just walked into a bit of a shitshow and not been able to show it.
Hes a viking, man

October 30, 2017, 09:26:17 PM
Reply #48

BlueForYou

Rooney is on another wavelength - a quality wavelength above
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 30, 2017, 10:11:52 PM
Reply #49

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Common thread (apart from Rooney himself ;) ) is that a) were shite b) England have always been shite c) United were shite / dull shite for all of that time too.

Yesterday was awful yet had DCL not stepped over the ball and Niasse not been Niasse hed have been the most crucial part of 2 goals so him looking for the ball wouldnt have been a problem.

If he was taking the ball off Pirlo itd be (more of) an issue.

I do take that point, as it's fair and nobody else was trying those passes (wherefore art thou Gareth Barry?) but there is the other side of that too. The picking up the ball deep from the player 4 feet away from him and floating over it to the left or the right, which I felt like was 75% of what he was doing and it was unnecessary for him to come back and do that, or at least we should have players capable of the same. Especially as who have those people got to cross the ball into now? One guy now who is totally outnumbered as Rooney is on the halfway line.

Plus there was once again an awful give away to the opposition on the halfway line too, he has been so lucky in getting away with those.

Key question will be if we do bring Barkley back into the mix, will Rooney keep doing that? Hopefully not.

October 30, 2017, 10:23:26 PM
Reply #50

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I do take that point, as it's fair and nobody else was trying those passes (wherefore art thou Gareth Barry?) but there is the other side of that too. The picking up the ball deep from the player 4 feet away from him and floating over it to the left or the right, which I felt like was 75% of what he was doing and it was unnecessary for him to come back and do that, or at least we should have players capable of the same. Especially as who have those people got to cross the ball into now? One guy now who is totally outnumbered as Rooney is on the halfway line.

Plus there was once again an awful give away to the opposition on the halfway line too, he has been so lucky in getting away with those.

Key question will be if we do bring Barkley back into the mix, will Rooney keep doing that? Hopefully not.

Yes.

Unfortunately anyone else yesterday was rolling the ball at 5mph to whoever was out wide so that by the time its got there, theres one, if not two, defenders in front of them.

Schneiderlin, Barkley, presume Sigurdsson, would all improve this.

October 30, 2017, 11:42:59 PM
Reply #51

Evertonian in NC

From ESPNFC's recap (I agree with most everything they say):

http://www.espnfc.us/club/everton/368/blog/post/3250474/phil-jagielka-leighton-baines-show-their-age-in-defeat-at-leicester

MF Wayne Rooney, 5 -- A quality pass creating a chance in each half served as fleeting glimpses of the magic that seems to be running out. Too often, more of a threat to the Everton defence than the Leicester one thanks to poor touches and sloppy passes.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 30, 2017, 11:46:12 PM
Reply #52

Evertonian in NC

For the record, I would go 2 up top, rotate the minutes between DCL, Sandro, and Rooney pretty much equally.  If Rooney can't maintain his position and keeps butting heads with Sigurdsson, I will give his minutes to Mirallas or God help me, Niasse I guess.

But that's all we haven't really tried, and I think it would take the pressure off everyone and allow us to get by with the personnel we have.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 31, 2017, 12:01:44 AM
Reply #53

Coyb12

He's on another wavelength to the crap we're serving up this season. I personally believe we'd score more goals if we played him up top with Barkley off him. Someone needs to come in and take the pressure off him.

My biggest worry is far from being Wayne Rooney. He's quality. It's the fact we've spent + of 65million on another 2 number 10s. One who isn't fit to play PL football and one who's a one trick pony with no one to finish his crosses.
Rooney is on another wavelength - a quality wavelength above
Stop talking sense.

October 31, 2017, 12:03:57 AM
Reply #54

bluenuck

For the record, I would go 2 up top, rotate the minutes between DCL, Sandro, and Rooney pretty much equally.  If Rooney can't maintain his position and keeps butting heads with Sigurdsson, I will give his minutes to Mirallas or God help me, Niasse I guess.

I don't see Unsworth doing it. I really don't.

I wanted Rooney here, but in more sparsely used role. I did not want what we're seeing, and I think he came here because he wanted to keep playing full time and, unfortunately, I think we actually offered it to him.

October 31, 2017, 12:05:52 AM
Reply #55

Evertonian in NC

I don't see Unsworth doing it. I really don't.

I wanted Rooney here, but in more sparsely used role. I did not want what we're seeing, and I think he came here because he wanted to keep playing full time and, unfortunately, I think we actually offered it to him.

I was worried that would be the deal, re-assured that wasn't what we were doing, then Koeman turned out to be much less strong than I had hoped (and Rhino is clearly deferring to him, we will see if he continues to do so after being shown up on Sunday)

October 31, 2017, 12:12:04 AM
Reply #56

christiffa25

I think your spot on here mate.

Whatever Rooney isnt anymore, in our current predicament hes the best we have available to play as the main striker.

We need Barkley back ASAP !! He makes things happen, he relieves pressure and moves us up the pitch. And regardless of peoples skewed views on him he creates a lot of chances. And is the only player in our squad that can be anywhere near on the same wavelength as Rooney.

Rooney up top, Barkley no10 for me. Mirallas also has to be playing. For all his faults, he also has goals in him. Thinking about it...hes also an option to play as the main striker!

October 31, 2017, 12:13:00 AM
Reply #57

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I was worried that would be the deal, re-assured that wasn't what we were doing, then Koeman turned out to be much less strong than I had hoped (and Rhino is clearly deferring to him, we will see if he continues to do so after being shown up on Sunday)
You dont think that maybe he does more in training?

Simply simply lovely

October 31, 2017, 12:32:01 AM
Reply #58

bluenuck

I would love for rooney to play as our striker, but the problem is is he doesn't play in his position. He comes back to mid field to get the ball and there's 3 players stepping on each others toes with the opposition laughing at how easy it is to defend. He did with United a few seasons back and they looked terrible. This isn't a coincidence.

October 31, 2017, 01:11:16 AM
Reply #59

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
From ESPNFC's recap (I agree with most everything they say):

http://www.espnfc.us/club/everton/368/blog/post/3250474/phil-jagielka-leighton-baines-show-their-age-in-defeat-at-leicester

MF Wayne Rooney, 5 -- A quality pass creating a chance in each half served as fleeting glimpses of the magic that seems to be running out. Too often, more of a threat to the Everton defence than the Leicester one thanks to poor touches and sloppy passes.

Hmm.

They gave Kenny 6 (awful own goal) and Gueye 7 (generally poor).

Marked DCL and Niasse the same 5 (both wasting should score chances and doing little else).

Id suggest a preconceived opinion on Rooney here.