January 20, 2019, 05:09:23 AM

Author Topic: Which striker to go for in January?  (Read 24545 times)

November 04, 2017, 01:22:56 PM
Read 24545 times

Juanito

Someone suggested Rondon earlier and I thought, he doesn’t score goals? The reality is we won’t get a top Striker but I remember what Marcus Bent did for us. He scored 7 goals and we finished 4th. I think our side is crying out for an athletic, strong, tall, quick striker who performs thankless tasks for the sake of the team, so our plethora of no10’s would reap the rewards and feed off his flick ons and also the space he should take up.

November 05, 2017, 02:04:41 PM
Reply #1

Juanito

That was Koeman’s plan.

Rondon actually had a very good scoring record before he joined West Brom, albeit in poorer league. He’s a good player and would score more goals in a more attacking team. But even Rondon in this market would cost an absolute fortune. I said before the summer; there is absolutely no value in buying players from other Prem teams. To a degree it’s worth paying an inflated fee if you’re negating the risk by getting someone who knows the league and should settle quickly, however, that hasn’t been the case with the likes of Sigurdsson etc.

It’s not like we’re Real Madrid where we need a galatico to improve us. We’re actually short of bodies in certain positions; it should be easy to improve the squad with £8m-£15m players from the continent.

If only we had a competent scouting department...

I would take Rondon. I remember he was hot property in Spain when Malaga had all that money for a season.

November 06, 2017, 03:06:04 PM
Reply #2

Juanito

A technically gifted version of Niasse for the first 75 minutes then the actual Niasse for the last 15.   

November 10, 2017, 10:16:27 PM
Reply #3

Juanito

Are we going to buy a left back, centre half and striker in January?

Yes. 

Luke Shaw
Maurico Lemos
Mauro Icardi

November 10, 2017, 11:41:42 PM
Reply #4

Juanito

The defence is old, slow, past it and lacking in ball playing ability.

The midfield is unbalanced, not good at keeping the ball and unable to resist pressure from even poor teams.

The attack is slow and lacking regular goal scorers

It’s all fucked and the whole thing is a priority!

I think Coleman and Bolasie will change a lot of that. Pace and power.

November 11, 2017, 03:26:52 AM
Reply #5

Juanito

In all seriousness we struggled to sign a striker in the summer when we were riding the crest of a wave with genuine enthusiasm, belief we could finish in the top 4 and a ‘top class’ manager. What makes you think we can get one when we play awful football, look to be in a relegation scrap and have a caretaker manager no-one has heard of?

We pay over the odds for transfer fees and pay over the odds for wages.