December 12, 2018, 05:48:07 AM

Author Topic: Which striker to go for in January?  (Read 23972 times)

November 04, 2017, 08:57:37 PM
Read 23972 times

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
His composure in the finish was sublime.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

November 16, 2017, 05:50:11 PM
Reply #1

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Rooney's finishing is so much better than DCL, maybe we should chuck Davey further up field?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sport/video-1574216/Top-bin-Rooney-hits-screamer-Sure-Pressure-skill-test.html

Saw that this morning. Doesn't bode well for DCL missing simple training ground sitters, but I don't think he's ever been a finisher. Has very poor stats for us.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

November 16, 2017, 06:11:37 PM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Are you messing?

Yeah, I am. 6 goals in 32 games is sensational :)

Seriously though, he's not that type of striker anyway.

December 02, 2017, 04:45:17 PM
Reply #3

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

December 02, 2017, 04:48:52 PM
Reply #4

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not sure this is really true though?

No player outside of the top 7 clubs has scored more goals than Rooney. Only one player outside of the top 7 clubs has scored more goals than Niasse.

I'm not sure signing an older, more established player makes sense now. In the immediate future we're out of Europe this season (and unlikely to be there next season), we're out of the League Cup, we're too far back to make a real push for top 4/6. The FA Cup? We'd all love to win it, but that would take a lot of luck.

We haven't got the attack we might ideally want, unlike our defence though, it's not the disaster it's made it out to be. We've got enough to get by until the end of the season.

I think we should be thinking much more about the future up front personally. Bed them in over the course over a fairly meaningless 5 months so they're ready for next season. Signing a Benteke or Giroud doesn't really fit the bill in that context.
I think we need someone who can play instead of dcl but actually be good at it. This can be a short term type of signing til summer. As you say we have a decent return from Rooney and niasse we need the balance up top and someone to play off.

December 02, 2017, 06:56:32 PM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Championed Benteke in the summer. However, since his injury is he still the same player?