November 15, 2018, 06:17:49 PM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce open to Everton talks  (Read 24398 times)

November 01, 2017, 03:02:08 PM
Read 24398 times

Gary1878

Surely this can't happen. Sean Dyche is a better option than this. However, I would rather see us go for an ambitious long term option than a short term fix, so someone like Tuchel or Anchelotti.

If we are going short term fix, then give Unsworth the job until Xmas. Lets just see how he does against Watford at home. With the crowd supporting the team and some passion, hopefully we will get one goal off of Rooney's arsecheek and sneak a 1-0 win.

November 01, 2017, 03:57:35 PM
Reply #1

Gary1878

Ancelotti is not the man to go for. He's recent jobs have been mainly about managing egos and letting the players take control and run with it. He doesn't come across as someone as someone who is very hands on with the tactical side of things and isn't a very innovative manager. This isn't bashing him, he is great at what he does (3 European cup backs that up), but what he does isn't what would be great for us.

We need someone who is after a longer term project to run with and then back him on that. Carlo is not that guy, not sure he's ever been that guy, and definitely won't turn into that guy at this stage of his career.

That sort of contradicts what he said a couple of days ago;

"I want a serious project that can give me time and serenity, even though I know itís not easy. I am just waiting and something will come.

The Premier League is a very interesting league of course. The atmosphere is amazing there, even if Bundesliga stadiums are also great."

Sounds pretty long term to me.

November 01, 2017, 04:36:28 PM
Reply #2

Gary1878

We'll have to agree to disagree on him then mate, not that I'd be daft enough to not consider him at all, especially when the main names at the moment have success with 2 small time Lancashire clubs as their biggest achievements in football.

I just get the feeling that what Ancelotti is good at is not entirely what we need. He has a pedigree of coming into a club full of big stars, massaging egos and being a safe pair of hands. He's not really been seen as a tactical genius in recent years and things have come out that have shown he is not very hands on.

At clubs like Chelsea, Madrid, Bayern, I think he just ran with what was already in place, with minor tweaks, rather than completely changed everything and went in a new innovative direction.

At Chelsea he just continued the good work that was first started by Jose. He also immediately followed Hiddink who himself had done an excellent job steadying the ship.

At Madrid he was following Jose again, who had done a lot of the groundwork in terms of ensuring Madrid competes with Barca.

At Bayern he was given the job to maintain the level of Pep.

What I'm saying is, with this type of approach we aren't going to get into the top 4 are we? He's never come in at a club that needs to leap forward a great deal. He's excellent at what he does though.

Maybe it would work I suppose. He may want this type of challenge as you say, but his history doesn't stack up.

Can I just add that yes he has won 3 champs leagues, but he has also only won 4 league titles in his career as a manager, is that a great track record  over a 20 year period as manager of 5 or 6 of the biggest and most dominant teams in club history?

All good points. All this talk of people like Allardyce and lower level managers just isn't where we should be aiming for though after spending over £100m in the summer.

Allardyce to me should be the boss of last resort (like a lender of last resort for Banks). Unless we are looking like we are about to genuinely suffer a relegation dogfight, you bring him in to keep you up. Perhaps it might be better to run with Unsworth for now and see how he does short term?

November 08, 2017, 10:27:27 PM
Reply #3

Gary1878

I don't see why Unsworth shouldn't be given the job until January.

He knows the players best and the way that the club works, and unless we can get a proper long term replacement in now, then I don't see what a new manager will really bring to the table.

The run of fixtures that we have between now and January is about as easy as the Premier League gets, so i would expect us to start picking up points whoever is in charge.

November 08, 2017, 10:50:46 PM
Reply #4

Gary1878

It's all very well saying they are easy but what happens if they go against us. I'm not saying he shouldn't just a little amazed that having watched us this season people assume we are going to suddenly start outplaying teams and picking up results.

Honestly I'd take a draw at palace now. They have been playing better than us recently.

But what if a new manager comes in and results go against us? Any decision in life comes with a risk that it doesn't work out. The risk surely reduces with a guy that knows Everton and that has motivated the players to produce their first win in 9 games. I think he is as good a option as any available right now.

Sometimes, having a bit of patience and biding your time can be the best decision.

November 08, 2017, 11:14:08 PM
Reply #5

Gary1878

I agree Big Sam is the sensible choice.

But to many of the Everton fan base are either romantic and want an evertonian in charge (like that actually matters) despite having no proven management ability where it matters with Unsworth

Or are after a manager way beyond our current reach such as a simeone or anchelotti

People seem to forget how badly run Everton where under Kenwright and how many missed opportunities and masses of stagnation the club suffered from.

Moshiri has a big job turning it around

Allardyce has an average track record at best. He keeps clubs up but that's it, and that is not what we should be aiming for, even in our current position.

One of my good friends supports West Ham and he said that the football under big Sam was utterly dire. It would be like getting a worse version of Koeman, and what would be the point in that?!