November 18, 2017, 08:15:39 PM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce open to Everton talks  (Read 12308 times)

November 09, 2017, 11:29:59 PM
Reply #450

BlueForYou

I think another thing is, we don't really go for those who have managed a lot of clubs, not in England, anyway

Allardyce has become a bit of a club hopper, that doesn't really appeal: "Not our man", etc

To put it crudely - prepared to "prostitute" himself, which brings us back to money and the nature of the business

No more Ferguson or Wenger eras, that's for sure

(I'm 57 and we played neat football from 1968-70 and from 1984-87 - bloody neat!)

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

deCoubertin

November 09, 2017, 11:38:34 PM
Reply #451

Rodenplav64

If he had an ounce of integrity he wouldn't take a job with a club who effectively want him till the end of the season at which point they intend finding someone better . We don't need him to keep us up .

November 09, 2017, 11:43:41 PM
Reply #452

Bluedylan

I'm in my fifties and can't ever remember Everton playing neat football.

Doesn't your memory stretch all the way back to Martinez's first season or Moyes' team with Pienaar, Arteta etc passing teams off the park?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 09, 2017, 11:57:34 PM
Reply #453

Mayor Farnum

Doesn't your memory stretch all the way back to Martinez's first season or Moyes' team with Pienaar, Arteta etc passing teams off the park?
All too brief I'm afraid.

November 10, 2017, 01:39:15 AM
Reply #454

Jamokachi

Now I know you like to wind me up but 'achievements ' ? Are you serious ? sacked by Sporting and Olympiacos ( who normally win the 1 horse race Greek League ) and relegated with Hull . Man for the job then .

A young manager who has actually won stuff, I'm not taking the piss...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:41:59 AM by Jamokachi »

November 10, 2017, 02:04:38 AM
Reply #455

Bluedylan

All too brief I'm afraid.

So the argument that you often trot out that Evertonians are too precious about 'good football' appears to be that you don't like good football, or aren't particularly bothered about it. Well that's sound for you, and each to their own. But the reaction to Allardyce from many people should tell you that plenty of us are bothered about the brand of football. In addition to that, the way people went big for Martinez's style in his first season and the way many of us enjoyed Moyes's team as it evolved with Bainaar, Arteta etc should tell you that plenty of us do value good football.

A lot of the time in the last 20-30 years the reason we haven't played good football is because we've had no money, and therefore had crap players who could only do limited things, not because we haven't wanted to see it. Yes, we do like high energy, in their faces type stuff and that's part of our character, but that doesn't have to be exclusive from good, exciting football.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 10, 2017, 02:36:44 AM
Reply #456

KoemansNumberTens

So the argument that you often trot out that Evertonians are too precious about 'good football' appears to be that you don't like good football, or aren't particularly bothered about it. Well that's sound for you, and each to their own. But the reaction to Allardyce from many people should tell you that plenty of us are bothered about the brand of football. In addition to that, the way people went big for Martinez's style in his first season and the way many of us enjoyed Moyes's team as it evolved with Bainaar, Arteta etc should tell you that plenty of us do value good football.

A lot of the time in the last 20-30 years the reason we haven't played good football is because we've had no money, and therefore had crap players who could only do limited things, not because we haven't wanted to see it. Yes, we do like high energy, in their faces type stuff and that's part of our character, but that doesn't have to be exclusive from good, exciting football.

What losing teams have we enjoyed and what winning teams have people not been keen on.

I think people really just like winning football.

November 10, 2017, 03:17:44 AM
Reply #457

gizzblue

What losing teams have we enjoyed and what winning teams have people not been keen on.

Wasn't keen on the lump it
to lukaku last season under RK despite the wins.. or the crab style of Martinez first season ,as i knew it was Moyes defence holding it together....Moyes teams were not pretty but loved grinding out results against bigger teams ...not to mention the odd occasion he got it perfect ....3-1 against man u a fave  Bilytherussians goal. 😅

November 10, 2017, 03:28:49 AM
Reply #458

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Awful how this slimey shite hoof ball merchant has got 31 pages.

November 10, 2017, 04:29:07 AM
Reply #459

Gash

Global Moderator
Awful how this slimey shite hoof ball merchant has got 31 pages.

To be fair, if you took @KoemansNumberTens posts out of it with him repeating the same point and arguing over nothing it would be about 7 pages. ;)

November 10, 2017, 04:45:40 AM
Reply #460

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Can't say I cared too much for Koemans team last year.

November 10, 2017, 07:00:03 PM
Reply #461

Mayor Farnum

What I am saying is that there is winning football and losing football and as long as the team is winning very few fans care about the style. Yes, when they sit down to talk about their team, especially in front of supporters from other teams, they will put a bit of emphasis on their desire for stylish football but when push comes to shove most fans don't care, or can't always tell.

If your team is winning it is generally praised and the less stylish aspects of the team's play is glossed over or just mis-represented.

A previous post in this thread looked back on the 85-87 team and called it neat. That team went direct when it suited. Derek Mountfield didn't score 15 goals a season by bringing the ball into midfield, playing a one two on the edge of the box and stroking the ball into the bottom corner.  He basically got his head on the end of a lot of corners and long throws. Any free kick up to the halfway line was taken by Southall. All this happened, but we don't dwell on it, but without those aspects to that particular team's play we would not have had the success.

Allardyce is direct but there is a lot more to his teams and if he came here and got us winning most fans would be happy to gloss over the direct aspects of his play.

November 10, 2017, 07:11:07 PM
Reply #462

BlueForYou

We played neat football during that 80's period but we could also adapt because we had the players to do it, especially in the 1985-86 season to suit Gary Lineker's strength(s)

That's neat!

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

November 10, 2017, 11:04:13 PM
Reply #463

Rodenplav64

A young manager who has actually won stuff, I'm not taking the piss...

Championship resume or thereabouts .

November 10, 2017, 11:26:14 PM
Reply #464

velimski

Out of interest, who did @KoemansNumberTens used to be on here?

It's been bugging me for a couple of days.