October 19, 2018, 01:37:31 PM

Author Topic: Everton approach Dyche  (Read 7203 times)

October 31, 2017, 02:16:48 PM
Read 7203 times

hill135

Probably the safest, most boring appointment we could make. Proper Everton.

Im facing up to it. Were never gonna win anything ever again.

October 31, 2017, 03:59:41 PM
Reply #1

hill135

He'd come in, sort us out and have us climbing the table but realistically he's not going to break the ceiling of 6th place so we'd be treading water for the length of his contract. Fair do we shouldn't try and run before we can walk but we should be able to walk already. We're Everton ffs, with a squad full of experienced internationals!

Trouble is, I can't see any ambitious young manager with a growing rep and a vision to get us the table touching the job at this stage.

All round it's fucking shite that we're in the exact same boat as when RM left

October 31, 2017, 04:15:04 PM
Reply #2

hill135

Also I fundamentally disagree with two points.

He's not done an amazing job. He's done a fairly good job in keeping a team with a reasonable chance of staying up in the league.

Secondly, manager's don't adapt. It's a myth. They have methods and an approach to the game which they stick with and those methods condition how far their teams go and how far up the food chain that manager will succeed. I could list a thousand examples. He's not gonna come here and start playing more expansive football. We'd set up like Burnley. That's better than what we have now so nothing wrong with that but it's not a recipe for achieving anything of note now or ever.

October 31, 2017, 04:36:52 PM
Reply #3

hill135

The team that had a reasonable chance of staying up is the team that he got promoted when they weren't fancied either. He's built a mid table championship side into a side that look like they will stay up 2 seasons running (comfortably this time) on a budget a fraction of his championship rivals and now on a budget a fraction of his premier league rivals. You've obviously got high standards. What would have been a great job from where he started 5 years ago? They are 7th now. 1st? Champions of Europe. Win a World Cup?

I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job. I'll give you the first bit about taking them from mid table in the Championship to Premier League but I don't think keeping that team he has in the Prem is too amazing an achievement. They are 7th one quarter of the way through the season and they will slide back down again soon enough.

While I would like to see attractive football, like you I'm less concerned about that wins. I'm simply disagreeing with the suggestion that he would change his approach. He won't and the approach he adopts doesn't actually achieve many wins.

October 31, 2017, 04:45:12 PM
Reply #4

hill135

Not really sure there's any actual substance to this. I'll believe it when Andy Hunter or Paul Joyce write about it, much more so than 'sky sources'. Wonder if the price has come in on Sky Bet?

Interestingly Sky are now running with the more modest headline of "Everton interested in Dyche". You might be right.

October 31, 2017, 05:30:31 PM
Reply #5

hill135

David Moyes evolving our play as he improved the squad directly contradicts that point.

The example of David Moyes exactly proves my point.

Took his solid, unspectacular, functional brand of football with him to Man Utd and failed miserably by dragging them down to the position you'd expect his Everton to finish. His approach to the game conditioned what he could achieve.

October 31, 2017, 05:37:21 PM
Reply #6

hill135

More importantly is it Dyche with a 'ch' or Dyche with a 'c' sound?