December 12, 2018, 10:34:03 PM

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 14173 times)

November 01, 2017, 12:54:45 PM
Read 14173 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I fail that believe that the loss of solely Lukaku, as important as he was, means that we go from 15 points clear of 8th to the worst side in the league.

Itís stretching things pessimistically quite some way considering that we have actually signed players, half of them proven in the PL to improve the other areas of the pitch.

So based on that it must be taken into account that we are at the lowest possible ebb of our form and therefore, yes we do look awful.

But the other teams down there are like that every year. Theyíre not going to get any better across the season.

Some, if not all, like Burnley, that are doing well will get worse as the season goes on.

Weíve sacked a manager because he couldnít get his points across to a group of players that should be doing better.

Anyone thinking that weíre the worst team in the league must surely not agree with sacking Koeman unless itís based purely on a relative level of influence over not signing a striker?

November 01, 2017, 03:43:32 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think losing Lukaku was massive, yes. I also think not replacing him was massive - two force multipliers in making us shite IMO and different things. We didnít not replace only his Goals, but his threat, his strength, his pace on the break to stretch teams, his defending from corners which was oddly good. He did more for us than score and brought more than Goals to the side.

Weíve also lost Bolassie, Coleman and Barkley to injury with no clear idea of when theyíll be back or to what level - another £90m at least of talent not currently able to be utilised. Youth, athletic ability and creativity as well as passing from the midfield.

We then sold Gareth Barry, Iím sure youíre a fan and I donít need to tell you what he brought.

And finally key players are another year older, and new players are not hitting the beats we need them to.

We are the worst side in the league bar maybe palace, and they look ready to turn it round.

Being completely honest - I thought sacking Koeman would do one thing which was alleviate pressure on the fans and on the players from the fans. It was time for a change and thats fine but itís startling how bad we still look.

Barkley will be back or weíve signed players to replace him, particularly Sigurdsson who hasnít been good or being used now.

Bolasie missed all of our strong second half of the season so shouldnít be a factor in the decline.

Coleman yes, obviously is a miss, but again he missed a good chunk of the second half.

And no one liked Lukaku more than me so I appreciate what he brought.

But that shouldnít rule out being generally competent at everything else.

November 03, 2017, 03:34:25 AM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Execution was miles off. But he did get us yes. He had a winners mentality. All the school of science stuff. He was a fan aswell as a manager and I really felt that he wanted to do well for the club, not just himself. Moyes and Koeman were always looking on the next move.

He didnít have a winners mentality at all; the numerous games thrown away are testament to that on theyíre own.

November 03, 2017, 03:37:25 AM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Itís not because heís good itís just because heís a certain profile of player that we donít otherwise have. All first half balls over the top where bouncing off their cbís kite and Gylfi couldnít get near it. DCL knows the role of run run run jump jump jump so the idea is play a not that good but right type of player as a 9.

I think heís a good player and if we were doing wel this year it would have been great to blood him and see him a bit... it the fact we are relying on him is a crime.

He lacks a lot of goal threat at the moment.

So at present heís most useful if we need to play the ball into the channels.

If we need more control, plus a threat in the box then he doesnít provide that at the moment.

November 03, 2017, 03:40:43 AM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Remember all that "it's in the club's DNA" shite that he kept spouting as well, at one point couldn't do a fucking interview without mentioning it.

It was standard say what is perceived to the opposite of what the previous manager wasnít doing.

He thought / was told that Moyes was seen to be ďhappy with 7thĒ (ah well...) therefore stress wanting to win / history etc.

Koeman thought / was told that the crowd didnít like sideways football flowery nonsense etc.

Unsworth picked up on moans about lack of width / not having a go.

November 03, 2017, 03:57:42 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We donít have anyone who does do both, but I think Gylfi, Klaassen, Lookman, Rooney, Mirallas, Sandro are all, looking at their histories, potential goal threats in and around a number nine.

It hasnít worked though.

Yes theyíd all be better with a 9. Problem is that DCL doesnít provide enough guarantee of basic hold up / link etc. He has flashes of great control which hint at promise.

The issue for me is that heís hardly getting chance and then if he does, like Leicester missing the ball (or the missed header at the end vs Appollon), then heís not guaranteed to score at all.

If a chance fell to Rooney or Mirallas etc Iíd expect them to score.

November 05, 2017, 12:23:44 AM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Imho hardly banging them in though is he .....we seem create a lot more when he is on the bench .

Do we?

November 05, 2017, 12:38:12 AM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Defo not
He's been the main source of goals and chances but hey, he drops off into positions he shouldn't

No one seems to question why he does that tho

I mean it might be a problem were everyone else playing well and being stunted by him dropping too deep.

But given how woeful we are, complaining about this is straying towards moaning about Lukakuís first touch again.

Yes, not ideal, but a long way from being the first thing to sort out.

November 05, 2017, 02:13:32 AM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Sig created more the other night when Rooney was in a different country ...and we're trully shite in front of goal ...if he plays he needs positional awareness of others around him or it fucks with everything in the opposition half imho. .....also some say he's the best passer I can't think of anyone who's give the ball away more this season.

Might have forgotten, but I canít remember those?!

Also there have been some very slack passes but Iíd say thatís because heís come to get the ball so much.

Plus everyone has given terrible passes away; part of the vicious circle of poor form / confidence.

Yes he needs to be higher up but itís not as if heís taking the ball off people who had previously been finding good forward passes.

November 05, 2017, 06:41:16 PM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Depressing ain't it. Three of the Premier League's top talents, binned off to be replaced by Williams, Rooney and Klaassan. I could cry.

They all wanted to leave, so binned off is wrong. Plus we havenít signed the Lukaku replacement yet ;)

Underlying issue though yes, in that weíve not tried to sign similar profile players.

Instead going for (very) cheap younger players and spending the money on proven players who (so far) havenít settled to produce what you expect.

November 05, 2017, 06:51:27 PM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think the real issue with the proven players is even if they do reach the level we'd hoped and expected they are still short of being good enough for what was apparently our ambitions. We bought at best proven not quite good enough

Yes if we werenít moving on.

Although thereíd be the synergy argument of having 11 proven PL players being better than 5/6 who drag along the rest etc.

November 05, 2017, 08:24:42 PM
Reply #11

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Semantics. We sold two players under contract without already having a replacement lined up of sufficient quality to replace them. On top of that we've decided to replace Barkley with players who wouldn't get in the team ahead of him if he was fit. Poor planning on a number of levels.

Oh yeah, the planning / acting upon has been terrible.

We wouldnít have sold Stones / Lukaku if they didnít want to go though.

As always, itís easier to sell good players than it is to buy them.