November 20, 2017, 01:50:12 PM

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 5954 times)

November 05, 2017, 06:38:57 PM
Reply #225

KoemansNumberTens

Shite, one of the greatest players this country has ever produced ? No, you're spouting pure anti-Rooney bias.

I dont see how he can do much better when he's in such a God-awful team and trying to do the job of two players, and the captain.

yeah he's a bit crap cos he's the victim of his on going brilliance

deCoubertin

November 05, 2017, 06:41:16 PM
Reply #226

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Depressing ain't it. Three of the Premier League's top talents, binned off to be replaced by Williams, Rooney and Klaassan. I could cry.

They all wanted to leave, so binned off is wrong. Plus we havenít signed the Lukaku replacement yet ;)

Underlying issue though yes, in that weíve not tried to sign similar profile players.

Instead going for (very) cheap younger players and spending the money on proven players who (so far) havenít settled to produce what you expect.

November 05, 2017, 06:43:40 PM
Reply #227

KoemansNumberTens

They all wanted to leave, so binned off is wrong. Plus we havenít signed the Lukaku replacement yet ;)

Underlying issue though yes, in that weíve not tried to sign similar profile players.

Instead going for (very) cheap younger players and spending the money on proven players who (so far) havenít settled to produce what you expect.

I think the real issue with the proven players is even if they do reach the level we'd hoped and expected they are still short of being good enough for what was apparently our ambitions. We bought at best proven not quite good enough

November 05, 2017, 06:51:27 PM
Reply #228

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think the real issue with the proven players is even if they do reach the level we'd hoped and expected they are still short of being good enough for what was apparently our ambitions. We bought at best proven not quite good enough

Yes if we werenít moving on.

Although thereíd be the synergy argument of having 11 proven PL players being better than 5/6 who drag along the rest etc.

November 05, 2017, 08:01:41 PM
Reply #229

Lxxx

They all wanted to leave, so binned off is wrong. Plus we haven’t signed the Lukaku replacement yet ;)

Underlying issue though yes, in that we’ve not tried to sign similar profile players.

Instead going for (very) cheap younger players and spending the money on proven players who (so far) haven’t settled to produce what you expect.

Semantics. We sold two players under contract without already having a replacement lined up of sufficient quality to replace them. On top of that we've decided to replace Barkley with players who wouldn't get in the team ahead of him if he was fit. Poor planning on a number of levels.

November 05, 2017, 08:24:42 PM
Reply #230

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Semantics. We sold two players under contract without already having a replacement lined up of sufficient quality to replace them. On top of that we've decided to replace Barkley with players who wouldn't get in the team ahead of him if he was fit. Poor planning on a number of levels.

Oh yeah, the planning / acting upon has been terrible.

We wouldnít have sold Stones / Lukaku if they didnít want to go though.

As always, itís easier to sell good players than it is to buy them.

November 05, 2017, 11:55:07 PM
Reply #231

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
wrong thread.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:56:15 PM by blueToffee »

November 06, 2017, 05:21:46 PM
Reply #232

GrantyBoy78

Huge game against Palace coming up (who, incidentally played really well against West Ham and Spurs). Letís not kid ourselves, we were pretty awful against Watford but if that result canít kick-start our season, nothing will.

November 06, 2017, 05:37:32 PM
Reply #233

everton1952

Some of the comments about Rooney being shite are too strong. There is certainly something wrong with him. He was terrible against Watford and it is painful to see him struggling. His head knows what to do but the body ain't responding anymore? If that is permanent then we and him made a mistake coming back. Is there a way to play him without exposing his slow reactions? I do not know. He will always be remembered here for his good early days before he swanned off to make his fortune and reputation and a bagful of medals we could never have given him.

November 06, 2017, 06:18:34 PM
Reply #234

stirlingblue

I think people are really overstating how poor Rooney has been, to me it's looked clear that he is still a level above what we have in the rest of the team even though he is out of form.

He'll continue to give the ball away in a dangerous position once or twice per game, but he's done that for most of his career and I don't really expect him to change that now.

He's not a winger though, and if we aren't going to play him up top or in an attacking midfield role then we should bench him and use him as an impact player.