November 20, 2017, 07:29:53 PM

Author Topic: The Grand Plan  (Read 997 times)

November 03, 2017, 03:08:39 PM
Read 997 times

GrantyBoy78

How far off course do you think we are in regards to Moshiri and his short/long term plans for the club?

It’s a fair assumption to think the board would’ve budgeted for us finishing between 4th-7th in the league - that obviously seems a bit unrealistic now and that shortfall will have to be covered. Couple that with the fact that the squad needs ANOTHER overhaul (when the board planned an assault on the top 4 with what we have)...will the club spend what’s required to get us competitive again?

What if that requires another £150m? Does the club actually have that kind of money?

Does Moshiri have the stomach for it?

Does the above affect our ability to gain sponsors for the new stadium?

deCoubertin

November 03, 2017, 03:16:35 PM
Reply #1

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
How far off course do you think we are in regards to Moshiri and his short/long term plans for the club?

It’s a fair assumption to think the board would’ve budgeted for us finishing between 4th-7th in the league - that obviously seems a bit unrealistic now and that shortfall will have to be covered. Couple that with the fact that the squad needs ANOTHER overhaul (when the board planned an assault on the top 4 with what we have)...will the club spend what’s required to get us competitive again?

What if that requires another £150m? Does the club actually have that kind of money?

Does Moshiri have the stomach for it?

Does the above affect our ability to gain sponsors for the new stadium?

The money we have spent has been the clubs to spend - not Moshiri's.
TV revenue money means we can have another net of £50-75m without blinking next summer.

But i actually think we may have gone 2 steps backward this year. We're probably in a worse state than we have been for a while.
Martinez's 11th place finishes was bad and well below where we wanted.

But we're as bad as one of the low points during Moyes' yo-yo years.
Holding out for the next transfer window knowing we wont really be able to solve the issue. (Then it was because we had no money, now it's because nobody of sufficient quality will want to join us).

Whenever Moyes started a season terribly (never this bad though? Not checked) he always pulled it out the bag from Christmas on. (or vice versa).

Target 1: Get to be as good as we were during the terrible Martinez years
Target 2: Get back to being the best of the rest
target 3: Break the top 6 (which was the hope for this season/next)

November 03, 2017, 03:20:59 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

With a sensible appointment and money to spend in January 7th is still achievable. The gap to the top 6 may be huge like but I don't see Watford or Newcastle racing away with the best of the rest mantle.

Next five games will tell us everything.

November 03, 2017, 03:28:55 PM
Reply #3

Hawkandro

With a sensible appointment and money to spend in January 7th is still achievable. The gap to the top 6 may be huge like but I don't see Watford or Newcastle racing away with the best of the rest mantle.

Hopefully we are now on the same page with regards to signings as well; the club needs to be proactive and clinical in January.

New LB, new LCB, new striker and new winger for me.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 03, 2017, 03:30:37 PM
Reply #4

ynotd

The last 10 league games have already told us what we are SHITE

November 03, 2017, 03:36:38 PM
Reply #5

BlueBeagle

Why do people seem to think that we've spent Moshiris money?

Other than the initial outlay for his shares, he hasn't spent a penny of his own money. Not suggesting he should either by the way.

November 03, 2017, 03:43:49 PM
Reply #6

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

Other than the initial outlay for his shares, he hasn't spent a penny of his own money. Not suggesting he should either by the way.

Well, that and a £60m loan with monthly repayments of zero pounds and zero pence.

But yeah, your overall point still stands.

November 03, 2017, 03:45:41 PM
Reply #7

Ross

The next managerial appointment should give us our best insight into Moshiri and his ambitions yet.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 03, 2017, 04:18:53 PM
Reply #8

Faceatthefence

150 million is nothing in todays market,were only about 1 billion behind city and suddenly we fancy ourselves as top 4.This club has led the spending charts in the distant past and won trophys but were miles off that right now.Trouble is you need to know how to invest and having been on a budget for twenty years or more weve lost the knowhow.Instead weve behaved like a greedy kid who,s gone into a sweet shop and made himself sick,buying anything that takes his fancy.Moshiri clearly is a winner in business and no doubt wants to be in football relative to his investment,but there are no winners at the club he,s surrounded by a board and playing staff that havent won anything (rooney apart)thats a tough thing to instill in players a winning habit and we just havent got it.Theres no fire in this team,no one to put a foot in its all very sterile.
Its going to take a lot more than 150 million to sort this lot out,our years of not spending has caught up with us in relation to current staff who shouldnt still be at the club.Its all about a manager who suits the club now,no eloquent  spaniards or worldly dutchmen with patchy cv,s lets get back stability and see were it goes from there.
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

November 03, 2017, 07:25:49 PM
Reply #9

SANA_DR0

ooo my birthday,  hopefully things will change in the new year..
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

November 03, 2017, 08:58:15 PM
Reply #10

Gary1878

I still don't think we are is as bad a position as it looks. If we were halfway through the season, then I would be a lot more worried, but we have so much time to turn it around.

Short term, i.e. next 18-24 months, I think the summer transfer window just gone has hit plans for a crack at the top 6. As we all know, the board and manager messed up considerably by buying too many players with not enough quality for too much money. And no striker. That doesn't mean we won't get a top half finish, which should now be our aim.

Long term, 5 years and beyond - I don't think this has had any impact. Stadium plans are well on track, and the general feel of the club is different.

As long as we come out of this poor spell quickly, everyone could benefit from the past mistakes that have been made, and Moshiri could come out of this as a better chairman.

November 03, 2017, 09:05:13 PM
Reply #11

everton1952

We could run for the next couple of years with a rehash of the old Kenwright dig. Where's the money Mosh?

November 03, 2017, 09:10:16 PM
Reply #12

Waltzer

Hopefully we are now on the same page with regards to signings as well; the club needs to be proactive and clinical in January.

New LB, new LCB, new striker and new winger for me.

Thats looks distinctly like the positions Koeman highlighted (minus the winger), hopefully they'll listen more to the new manager than they did the old.

November 03, 2017, 09:10:55 PM
Reply #13

blueski

the radical changes from the top didn't translate to immediate success at man city and I don't think its realistic to assume they would here either

likewise when Tottenham lost Gareth Bale and splashed cash they got worse before getting better

way too early to write off Moshiri - while it is a little scary at the moment I think there's room to hope that what we're seeing right now is all part of the inevitable process toward big steps forward
Nil Satis

November 03, 2017, 09:14:46 PM
Reply #14

BlueForYou

Dead right, Waltzer
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick