May 22, 2018, 05:18:47 PM

Author Topic: Niasse  (Read 35101 times)

November 23, 2017, 02:02:54 AM
Reply #495

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Is it me or does this comment from Unsworth make no sense? Surely this ruling is saying contact is OK as in this case there was contact and it was ruled not a foul.

"I think it's a great rule but it doesn't change my stance on if there's contact anywhere on the pitch - slight or not, contact is contact," said Unsworth.

"We don't want contact taken out the game. Slowly but surely it has started."

Yeah I thought that, it's like he got confused and came out with a cliche that didn't really make sense in the context.

November 23, 2017, 02:17:43 AM
Reply #496

hill135

nothing worse than the tyranny of Shearer's cliche: 'there was contact' or 'contact = foul'.

It's not about whether there is 'contact', but whether or not there was enough to impede the player. T

November 23, 2017, 02:20:33 AM
Reply #497

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Is it me or does this comment from Unsworth make no sense? Surely this ruling is saying contact is OK as in this case there was contact and it was ruled not a foul.

"I think it's a great rule but it doesn't change my stance on if there's contact anywhere on the pitch - slight or not, contact is contact," said Unsworth.

"We don't want contact taken out the game. Slowly but surely it has started."

His comments made no sense to me.

Kinda disappointing rebuttal if I'm honest.

November 23, 2017, 02:39:00 AM
Reply #498

KoemansNumberTens

nothing worse than the tyranny of Shearer's cliche: 'there was contact' or 'contact = foul'.

It's not about whether there is 'contact', but whether or not there was enough to impede the player. T

See this is where it becomes difficult. Surely all contact impedes to some degree. So really the rule is you're allowed to impede by foul means but not too much. You're allowed to knock someone a little off balance but not over
Maybe football needs to be a non contact sport in terms of foul play. He's touched him (fouled him) but not enough for him to go down just seems like a nonsense to me.

November 23, 2017, 03:07:30 AM
Reply #499

Major Clanger

It's not even that, it's whether an attempt has been made. So if you try to trip your opponent but he dodges the challenge, that's still a penalty.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

November 23, 2017, 03:13:31 AM
Reply #500

Evertonian in NC

It doesn't even make the top 10 list of dives made this SEASON, yet we/Niasse are singled out.  Absolute bullshit.  It was a soft/borderline call that probably shouldn't have gone our way, but I think it would have been harsh to give Niasse a yellow, even. 

There is NO WAY every "dive" of this grade (or greater) by the Sky Five is going to start being punished similarly (live or retroactively), it will be a one-off.  And it is unacceptable for the club just to smile and take it.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 23, 2017, 03:36:57 AM
Reply #501

ally2

Doesn't help really that we have some no mark as stand-in manager. Bigger clubs would take this to the cleaners or make threats to pull back on media stuff if media didn't support the club. The manager would be all over the papers saying all sorts to stoke things up even more, just to get an angle. But no we just take it up the arse.

November 23, 2017, 03:50:43 AM
Reply #502

Ridge

If you pull your head out of a challenge with someones boot, it's a foul without contact. If you just lightly clip a players feet when he's running, he'll still likely go down under minimal contact.

Niasse is trying to run through the middle of 2 Palace players, and Dann has obstructed him after the ball has gone past him. When you've been hit and you are off balance, a players natural reaction is not to carry on running until they hit the floor, everybody braces or prepares for the fall.

Smaller players are more likely to get these decisions, but it doesn't take a lot to unbalance. If it's a player on the floor, then you'd be expected to avoid as player on the floor doesn't necessarily now much about it. But if a player leaves a leg stuck out across a players path or barges you as you get there, he's trying to foul and gain an advantage from contact.

Niasse is trying to squeeze through a closing gap, and if it was only Dann, he'd have gone around him. But he didn't initiate contact, Dann knew what he was doing by trying to block him off. It's soft and maybe not a pen, although I think it's a foul pretty much anywhere else on the pitchor if a striker blocked off a defender, so team mate got clear run at goal.

November 23, 2017, 04:06:20 AM
Reply #503

Evertonian in NC

And here's the way I believe a GOOD official handles that - rolls his eyes and tells everyone to get on with play.

Everything in the box doesn't have to be a penalty or a yellow card.  There is a demilitarized zone in between, at least in my book.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 23, 2017, 04:20:21 AM
Reply #504

BlueMaquis

So if Niasse was the first player this season officially charged with "successful deception of a match official" .... what about the players rolling around on the grass faking injuries when they've barely been touched? Or are these deceptions not looked at because it's mainly the "big 6" teams doing it?

November 23, 2017, 05:51:02 AM
Reply #505

bacon sarnie

Perhaps just American tinfoil hat stuff here, but do you all suspect Hodgson's residual contacts within the FA played a role here?

Get back in yer bunker, Archie!

:thumbsup:

November 23, 2017, 12:20:32 PM
Reply #506

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
My question is the official calls a dive and gives them a yellow, is it also an automatic 2 game ban?
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 23, 2017, 01:12:13 PM
Reply #507

stirlingblue

Stupid decision.

That being said, I'm guessing that it got pulled up because it was to win a penalty rather than because it was the worst dive this season

November 23, 2017, 02:12:52 PM
Reply #508

Bluedylan

Doesn't help really that we have some no mark as stand-in manager. Bigger clubs would take this to the cleaners or make threats to pull back on media stuff if media didn't support the club. The manager would be all over the papers saying all sorts to stoke things up even more, just to get an angle. But no we just take it up the arse.

Wouldn't matter who was manager. They're not going to rescind the first ban they've given out.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 23, 2017, 02:15:04 PM
Reply #509

ally2

It was a dive but there are so many reasons why this decision is wrong. It's so dumb.