November 19, 2018, 09:30:03 AM

Author Topic: Niasse  (Read 43601 times)

November 06, 2017, 01:16:19 AM
Read 43601 times

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Oumar Niasse

72  Minutes per goal
288  Minutes played

While there are issues with any of our options, when we're so lacking in goals I think we're at a point where we almost have no other choice than to start him until January at least.

Joint top PL scorer with Rooney now on 4.

Happy for DCL to break his duck today, hopefully he can kick on from there but I'd rather DCL was coming on with 20 to go at this point in his development.

November 07, 2017, 01:38:01 AM
Reply #1

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Considering the chances we're creating in this team you have to give a certain amount of respect to those that have been able to score this season. It's a pretty short list too Niasse, Rooney and now DCL.

November 21, 2017, 09:54:51 PM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Kinda fuming seeing this, and how all of a sudden the rules apply here but not other cases why exactly?

November 21, 2017, 10:00:52 PM
Reply #3

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Oh, well. It is what it is.

Maybe this forces Unsworth to play Rooney as a CF again, which hopefully forces us to keep the ball on the deck some. We haven't had any control over a match since Rooney played as the lone CF against Chelsea, and I don't think it's a coincidence that our defense goes to shit when our attacking "plan" is to chase after long balls. We've shown all season that we have difficulty making the ball stick when we play it long and that we're incapable of dealing with the ball coming back at us over and over again (this is what ultimately sunk Koeman). Crystal Palace wouldn't have dominated Saturday's game so thoroughly if we had made any sort of commitment to actually passing on the ground. I get that we don't have the players to be a genuinely good passing side but not bothering with possession at all isn't the answer.

Niasse is a great, direct option and we'll certainly miss him but hopefully some good comes out of it.

I'm not seeing the positives here. We've seen us without Niasse (as strange as that is to say) and we're pretty listless up top without him. We barely looked like scoring or threatening a goal with either DCL or Rooney up top, plus it's just so slooooow. Maybe we don't lose possession in the same way but usually after we if retain the ball we played it back and sideways enough until we gave the ball away in a dangerous position in the midfield instead. So if anything I'd rather we lost the ball to a punt upfield as at least it's going to be higher up the pitch.

We were getting a tiny bit of momentum attacking wise. It'd really be pretty crappy to lose that now.

November 21, 2017, 11:23:30 PM
Reply #4

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Would have preferred him to be available to play with Rooney as I wouldnít say we had any particular momentum attacking since our 5 goals have been 2 forced errors, a set piece and 1 pen where the defender slipped and 1 ďdebatableĒ decision.

Created 1 decent and chance second half vs Palace and had no spells of pressure.

We need to find some way of increasing our possession in the oppositionís half.

Having more players who can pass the ball (plus move from their starting position) would be a start.

We of course need some ďrunnersĒ to balance this out.

The only time we did that was second half vs Chelsea.

I agree to a point, and I'd say the way we've been scoring isn't maybe built on the right foundations. However, I don't think we score possibly 4 out of 5 goals without Niasse. That is a concern to me, as unless Sandro has an awakening we're left with Rooney and DCL again and have we not tried that enough to say it lacks potency? We are benefiting from the movement and pressing up front that he provides or with other players combines to make happen, and which we were utterly lacking beforehand.

November 22, 2017, 06:34:14 AM
Reply #5

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Embarrassing the lengths people will go to to defend diving. 

I donít think itís clear cut in the modern game. Players have been conditioned to sell a foul otherwise they donít get given. Thatís the precedent. Weíve seen in many a time when the player stays on his feet he doesnít get a decision, I canít even think of a single example to the contrary, can you?

So in that context, Dann clearly steps across his run Niasse is running into space and feels itís a foul because heís impeded. So goes down as thatís how players have been shown to ask the question of whether itís a foul or not.

This isnít a case of him jumping a tackle and going down two steps later. He was asking the question whether Dann obstructed him. I donít think Dann had any intention of playing the ball nor was he not able to get out of the way, he knew what he was doing. He clearly did step into Niasse path. Iíd say that would be given a foul on the halfway line and nobody bats an eyelid.

I donít think it was enough to knock Niasse down but in this instance I donít think thatís strangely the issue.

November 22, 2017, 06:40:51 AM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
The second issue is a matter of consistency. Where is the sense in only reviewing or punishing these behaviours inside the box or after a red card? How is that an effective deterrent? Weíve seen plenty of free kicks leading to goals under dubious circumstances. Just last week the first goal in the Arsenal vs Spurs game was a dive by Sanchez. So...thatís ok because why?

Itís just dumb. Do it right or donít bother.

November 22, 2017, 10:21:21 PM
Reply #7

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I think it's a joke. If I had any sort of faith this would be applied fairly I'd get on board, but I have zero. For good reason too considering there have already been 2 Man City incidents that looked far worse.

I think the FA have made a rod for their own back here. One though they'll be more than happy to ignore when it suits them though.

They are cherry picking their targets, teams that have no real media backing or pundits to cause a fuss. The first one in the football league where the guy tried to play on and this one.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:29:36 PM by blueToffee »

November 22, 2017, 11:05:13 PM
Reply #8

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

I mean really? This is the incident they pick?

I still think Dann made zero attempt to play the ball too.

November 22, 2017, 11:41:51 PM
Reply #9

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Hey, look Willian goes down under a nudge for Chelsea and they've got a penalty and the opposition player sent off.

Should we expect a media meltdown..?

(Yes, I realize it's the CL not the PL but again it's the bigger point of appearance of consistency).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:46:26 PM by blueToffee »

November 22, 2017, 11:43:56 PM
Reply #10

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
It's a clear dive, regardless of the contact and Dann's attempt to block him off.

The real problem is that even bigger dives have gone unpunished.

Do you think Dann did anything that could be construed as a foul there? I do think Niasse when down on purpose, but I think he thought he'd been fouled (and the chance was disappearing) so he was asking the question as players know they don't get anything for a foul by staying on their feet.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:19:51 AM by blueToffee »

November 23, 2017, 12:28:49 AM
Reply #11

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Is every dive that wins a free kick now a 2 match ban? You could lose players for 6 or 8 games over a single match. Though lets be honest here they've "caught" 1 player in 120 games so there won't be many more in reality

That's the point. The application of this diving eradication is sporadic and cherry picked.

How if the point of all this if the point is to eradicate diving that Sanchez's free kick for the first goal versus Spurs wasn't a retroactive ban? I know the rules don't allow it, but that's the point the rules are so narrow as to be absurd. Why should players like Dele Alli escape a 2 game ban for (blatant) diving even if they got a yellow in the game? He should be banned too, or is the yellow deemed sufficient to put players off diving? In which case why isn't Niasse given a retrospective yellow card?

It makes no sense. At all.

November 23, 2017, 02:20:33 AM
Reply #12

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Is it me or does this comment from Unsworth make no sense? Surely this ruling is saying contact is OK as in this case there was contact and it was ruled not a foul.

"I think it's a great rule but it doesn't change my stance on if there's contact anywhere on the pitch - slight or not, contact is contact," said Unsworth.

"We don't want contact taken out the game. Slowly but surely it has started."

His comments made no sense to me.

Kinda disappointing rebuttal if I'm honest.

November 23, 2017, 06:21:05 PM
Reply #13

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
We did appeal, and we lost the appeal, shouting and throwing your toys out of the pram wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever we don't know but possibly they had the power to increase the ban.

Except when it does...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/6190234/Arsenals-Eduardo-has-two-game-diving-ban-overturned.html

In case you donít remember how blatant that dive was:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xac6s6
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:27:29 PM by blueToffee »

November 23, 2017, 10:53:08 PM
Reply #14

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
He got a ban, they appealed and it was withdrawn, Niasse got a ban, we appealed but it was upheld, we did what they did, what's your point ?

The point is they did kick up a fuss about it. From a related article in the Guardian on the ban being overturned:

ďEuropean football's governing body reversed its earlier verdict yesterday after vehement protests from Arsenal.Ē

ďthe outspoken comments of ArsŤne Wenger, the Arsenal manager, against Eduardo's initial ban could have proved pivotal to the turnaround.Ē

We donít exert the same amount of media clout or pressure to put on the officials and so in a similar situation we end up with nothing happening and a rather muddled statement from Unsworth. The point is I think we couldíve done better.

Even if we were still to have lost the appeal it makes more sense to kick up enough of a fuss as it gives us more ammunition and protection in future cases that are either for us or against us. There is a reason Mourinho and co are very public in their responses and players keep pointing out perceived injustices to the referees as itís all in aid of getting a more favourable outcome down the line.