September 23, 2018, 11:52:41 PM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 29519 times)

November 18, 2017, 07:40:40 PM
Reply #30

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think it's so much the fee for Silva more the money we've spent on managers over the last 18 months or so. People can argue that the PL is awash with money but all it's doing is driving up prices and salaries it doesn't mean that we have a bottomless pit of money to keep overspending on things, sooner or later we need to get our house in order.

I don't really get the billionaire accountant argument either, many a wealthy, successful businessman has bought a football club and suddenly taken leave of their senses and seen it as a vanity project. I wouldn't say our spending under Moshiri has been that sensible. Fair enough he inherited Martinez and his contract but some of the other spending has been woeful for someone who's apparently savvy with money.

That's the thing, because we've spent a ton in hiring and firing managers, if we keep doing so, it's going to get very costly. I probably wouldn't worry about spunking 10 million on someone proven like Simeone, but for someone who isn't anywhere near that bracket like Silva, you've really got to stop and think. Especially as he's only on a short term contract too. We spunk 10 million on him, and when he gets sacked in 12 months time, we're going to get screwed even more for the next manager we poach.

I get we have to overspend and invest, but it has to be done wisely.
"If you believe it will work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you believe it won’t, you will see obstacles." – Wayne Dyer

November 18, 2017, 08:44:35 PM
Reply #31

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
i know i chose silva in the poll, but i ve changed my mind.. i'd rather have Tuchel or Simeone, until that point stick with Unsworth...
Silva is good, but i fear after 2 years with us, he will be looking at us as a stepping stone, he doesnt seem to care about sticking with a club..

That's my feeling of him. I know there's no loyalty in football, but this guy takes the piss.

I guess thinking about it, we probably wouldn't need to worry about paying his contract off as he'll move next chance he gets.
"If you believe it will work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you believe it won’t, you will see obstacles." – Wayne Dyer

November 19, 2017, 08:57:37 AM
Reply #32

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watfords-marco-silva-faces-having-11544030

Watford want 15 million according to this. They can certainly keep him for that. I see nothing in him that justifies that outlay.

November 19, 2017, 06:47:24 PM
Reply #33

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Wishful thinking, I dont evn want him to come, but if we get 2 years lol, that would be a record for Silva :p

I think 3 seasons is his record at his first club, Estril or something.

November 19, 2017, 09:56:02 PM
Reply #34

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I don't get the arguments about not wanting him as he'd probably want to leave in 2 years, or he's not done a long period at a club. Jose has never done more than 3 years anywhere but he's done well everywhere he has been to a point.

The average length of tenure for football league managers is now under a year, including the pl it's a year and a quarter. Watford have a policy of not really looking to keep managers longer than 2 years regardless how they do. Manages like guardiola in the past have said its hard to do longer than a 3 year cycle at a club because the players stop taking on messages after a certain point. Not many managers stay at clubs longer than 3 years now, simeone is one of the anomolies however even atletico are starting to slip a bit, concede more goals, win less games, points per game dropping etc.

I think we should stop worrying about whether a manager will want to be here for longer than 2 years and look to build something long term. If we got silva he is great for 2 years and moves on so be it, we get another good manager and try to move on from there.

That's true and I'm one of the ones concerned about his inability to stick around. If we get him, give him no more than a 2 year contract then.

November 19, 2017, 11:38:56 PM
Reply #35

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
If he does come I wouldn't mind him bringing Will Hughes with him; really busy, neat, excellent in tight spaces, and a forward-thinking player

He can battle his position out with Rooney, Sig, Klaassen, Barkley & Vlasic then.

November 20, 2017, 01:32:57 AM
Reply #36

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

November 20, 2017, 05:12:52 AM
Reply #37

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
That’s why I think Dyche would be the better choice as his teams are based on solid defenses. Plus he of course knows Keane well and can hopefully get the best out of him.

But very little will change until we strengthen in the areas we need.

November 20, 2017, 10:20:49 PM
Reply #38

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Silva is doing everything right, he will not rock the Watford boat, so he ain't coming to us. (not that I care very much). With Unsie's prospects widely trashed on here, who should we realistically hope to get? Is Pardew worse than Silva? Midland sources say WBA will appoint a manger this week with minimum delay. It might be embarrassing but I would go for Dyche, as Burnley could not refuse.

I think I would prefer Dyche at 3.5 million compared with Silva at 15 million. I don't either will bring us any glory, but Dyche should be able to make us solid again which is what we need to be right now. I don't think Silva would give us that.

Dyche on a similar contract to what he's on at Burnley would be the best option that I can see right now seeing as top managers are out of the equation.

November 22, 2017, 01:08:47 AM
Reply #39

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Guess it must be one of those clique jokes that mean nothing to us outsiders.

December 13, 2017, 06:59:12 AM
Reply #40

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He'll get found out this year, complete bullet dodged.

He might come good, but he was always the wrong man for us. Glad we have someone who knows what they're doing in right now. Stability is exactly what we need. Silva would not provide that.

December 16, 2017, 11:41:15 PM
Reply #41

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Our manager should always, as a law, be good looking and well dressed

Apart from perhaps Martinez, when has that ever happened? lol

December 16, 2017, 11:41:52 PM
Reply #42

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He was loved and wanted on here because he is Portuguese, and very good looking, and well rather like Mourinho. Of course Watford might end up 8th and us 15th but I doubt it.

I think Mourinho looks like a child.

December 17, 2017, 12:34:20 AM
Reply #43

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Why not he sure acts like one.

I think that's why I don't think he's particularly good looking or whatever. Funny how a personality can make the most attractive person unattractive. But of course a lot of it's probably just an act.

December 17, 2017, 04:20:59 AM
Reply #44

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Got a hell of a long way to go to beat Sir Alex. And he was an ugly fucker.