November 20, 2018, 12:33:52 AM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 31510 times)

December 31, 2017, 09:01:07 PM
Reply #45

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
37 goals his side has conceded this season. 3rd most in the league.

Very lucky not to get him. And he would have cost a fortune as well.

Big Sam might be far from perfect, but I am so glad we didn't get Silva. Just a poor man's Roberto Martinez.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 31, 2017, 09:16:37 PM
Reply #46

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
His work with Estoril taking them from the second division to 5th and then 4th in the top tier on a shoe string budget.

Winning 28/30 matches to win the league with Olympiakos.

Taking a largely talentless squad like Hull and getting them playing great football despite losing their star player (Snodgrass) and acquiring more points in his 18 matches there and 6 other premier league teams.

Made a strong start to his Watford career but let's not pretend they're a great squad who should be anything more than midtable.

He's a talented manager who has already won more than Sam Allardyce.

Is Brendon Rogers a good manager? He's won plenty in as poor leagues as those Silva has managed in.

And if Watford are a midtable club, why do they have a bottom three goal difference?

Sorry, and I know Sam isn't the answer either, this guy certainly isn't.

When Sam's tenure is up, I hope we can find much better than both.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

December 31, 2017, 09:19:11 PM
Reply #47

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Rodgers ie a decent manager

But he's done nothing in a proper league. Just like Silva.

December 31, 2017, 09:26:50 PM
Reply #48

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Well he did get closer than any other liverpool manager to winning the league
Did a pretty solid job with Swansea too

Thanks to Suarez he got close, still bottled it though. But he's only done anything of note in a shit league, just like Silva has.

Do you think Silva has what it takes to take us to the next level? I certainly didn't when we were looking to pay 20 million for him and I certainly don't in a month's time when he'll probably be fired.

December 31, 2017, 09:27:53 PM
Reply #49

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Keeping Watford above relegation is a good achievement.

Big Sam never got relegated in his career. Silva went down at his first attempt despite being above the zone when he first joined.

December 31, 2017, 09:45:50 PM
Reply #50

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Pretty sure they were rock bottom when he took over.

Not being relegated isn't an achievement.

Neither is being relegated. Nor is conceding the third most goals in the prem.

Like I say, I really hope we can get better once Sam's tenure is up.

December 31, 2017, 09:50:39 PM
Reply #51

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Phalan relegated Hull, not Silva.

Goal difference doesn't matter, position does. West Brom are bottom of the league but have conceded less than Watford.

Who is better?

Big Sam obviously. He's higher than both. With better points and goals for and against.

December 31, 2017, 10:24:00 PM
Reply #52

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Sam is a temporary measure only. He’s here 18 months tops to stabilize us. Before his time is up we need to source a manager capable of moving us forward. Silva is certainly not that man right now. How long do you think it will be before he gets the bullet?

December 31, 2017, 10:38:42 PM
Reply #53

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We don't need stabilising. Stabilising is going massively backwards.

Also having vast swathes of the club's fanbase despising the hoofball that we play does nothing to stabilise anything. It's massively destabilising and divisive.

Paying 20 million for the likes of Silva is also going backwards. Sam has stopped the rot. Remember we had conceded more than Watford at the time. We're not now.

I don't have the answer, but I'm pretty convinced at what I've seen of Silva, he certainly isn't either.

December 31, 2017, 10:57:33 PM
Reply #54

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Considering weve chucked 10m payoffs apiece at our last two failures,has anyone given a moments thought that SA could be fired in the summer should a viable candidate/target come available.Ruthless business decision i know,but dont think many tears would be shed by the fanbase.

It would only cost us 6 million if we did this time.

If someone who could make a big difference came in, then I'd be all for it. But to sack him and simply replace with someone else who would largely do the same, no point.

January 01, 2018, 07:49:18 PM
Reply #55

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Sam is here for the short term. He has 18 months on his contract. It likely means he'll only be here til summer and be given a 6 million handshake. In the time leading up to that, I hope to hell the board are sourcing a manager who will take us forward and be installed as manager well before the transfer window opens. Or at least, do a Man City where he is able to see the last few games of the season and get to know the players so he can plan transfer activity in and out etc.

In that time, we should be stable. We'll know who is the future and who isn't. We'll get rid of some dead wood this month and sign a few players who can make a difference in the future.

We're now safe, we won't be getting relegated. The first part of the mission is pretty much done. We've taken several steps backwards, but hopefully we can move forward.

Fuck knows who it will be to take us forwards though.