October 18, 2019, 01:36:59 AM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 39984 times)

November 18, 2017, 04:14:41 AM
Reply #240

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Thanks.  8.5-10m in compensation! I hope that's not accurate

Why are you worried ?

November 18, 2017, 04:17:42 AM
Reply #241

Jamokachi

8-10m would buy a very average player these days, and the manager is far more important of an area.

November 18, 2017, 04:42:32 AM
Reply #242

Toffee Tuesdays

8-10m for a top manager, no problem.  8-10m for a large risk a year and a half after paying 6m(?) for another risk that didn't work out.  That plus the Sigurdsson fee makes me feel like we're just throwing money around rather than investing it wisely.  For all I know though he could be the one to take us to the next level.

November 18, 2017, 03:43:11 PM
Reply #243

Toddacelli

Full article title should read 'Silva Lining His Pockets'.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

November 18, 2017, 04:27:28 PM
Reply #244

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Same people saying the amount of compensation doesn't matter are the same people who continued to try and justify paying 45mil for sigurdson.

We can't just throw money around constantly over paying for people. It's shows desperation on our part and it's something Moshiri continues to do.

Only so far a club can do this for before it all falls apart.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

November 18, 2017, 04:38:59 PM
Reply #245

Toddacelli

Same people saying the amount of compensation doesn't matter are the same people who continued to try and justify paying 45mil for sigurdson.

We can't just throw money around constantly over paying for people. It's shows desperation on our part and it's something Moshiri continues to do.

I used to be in the middle. I used to think the money has gone so ridiculous that I would just stop worrying about it because I genuinely have no clue as to how it all works.

But yeah, we do seem to be throwing a lot around without a lot to show for it in return. If we were splashing it and buying success I would be ok because success will bring more money and I can see how that is sustainable. But we're not. We're splashing it around and ending up with terrible results. Pickford and Oyekuru aside, who or what have we spent money on that looks like a good investment that will bring money or success to the club? Keane maybe? Sandro possibly but only because we got him so cheap and not if we don't give him gametime. Lookman? After that I'm struggling.

But the list of potentially bad investments is much longer.

Even I can tell that in these ridiculous sponsor-your-training-facilities, Walker-for-fifty-mill, twenty-five-mill-buys-a-bang-average-player days that this is NOT sustainable.

Time to be concerned.

I'm starting to be concerned

November 18, 2017, 04:48:20 PM
Reply #246

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

You can also view it as part of a learning curve for Moshiri.

The man has never owned a football club before, and all his previous success has come through his relationship with Usmanov. Whilst Everton may not be the biggest project he has taken on from a financial perspective, it is without doubt his most challenging and one that he is (so we are led to believe) doing entirely on his own. He was never going to get every decision right.

In a venture like this mistakes are going to be made, and you'd like to think he recognised it wouldn't all be plain sailing when he came on board. City didnt get it right when they first got rich. These things can take time.

Whilst no one wants to see us get it wrong, the more important thing is that Moshiri has deep pockets, is hopefully in it for the long term, and learns from his mistakes.

November 18, 2017, 04:48:47 PM
Reply #247

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I don't mind how much it costs as long as it's the right appointment. Ive no idea if this fella is

November 18, 2017, 04:48:48 PM
Reply #248

Toddacelli

I used to be in the middle. I used to think the money has gone so ridiculous that I would just stop worrying about it because I genuinely have no clue as to how it all works.

But yeah, we do seem to be throwing a lot around without a lot to show for it in return. If we were splashing it and buying success I would be ok because success will bring more money and I can see how that is sustainable. But we're not. We're splashing it around and ending up with terrible results. Pickford and Oyekuru aside, who or what have we spent money on that looks like a good investment that will bring money or success to the club? Keane maybe? Sandro possibly but only because we got him so cheap and not if we don't give him gametime. Lookman? After that I'm struggling.

But the list of potentially bad investments is much longer.

Even I can tell that in these ridiculous sponsor-your-training-facilities, Walker-for-fifty-mill, twenty-five-mill-buys-a-bang-average-player days that this is NOT sustainable.

Time to be concerned.

I'm starting to be concerned

I'm really concerned - I swear I didn't type that last line - the one without the full stop - wtf?

November 18, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
Reply #249

Mayor Farnum

8-10m would buy a very average player these days, and the manager is far more important of an area.

It would also pay a very decent player's wages for two years or it would be a nice tidy sum for a year's sponsorship.

We can't justify everything because the transfer market is stupid.
Something clever written by someone else.

November 18, 2017, 05:06:13 PM
Reply #250

ally2

This is modern football.  Like it or lump it.  I'm near lumping it, but that is more because of fans than owners and players.

November 18, 2017, 05:13:27 PM
Reply #251

Toddacelli

Whilst Everton may not be the biggest project he has taken on from a financial perspective, it is without doubt his most challenging.

Bit off topic and I don't really want to derail your main point, which I generally agree with, but that is one hell of an assuption to make about a self-made billionaire accountant.

November 18, 2017, 05:33:10 PM
Reply #252

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Bit off topic and I don't really want to derail your main point, which I generally agree with, but that is one hell of an assuption to make about a self-made billionaire accountant.

Yeah it is. But he got rich entirely off of Usmanovs success and has ridden his coattails for a number of investments after that. He mostly operates in the natural resources sector and, in that space, money and connections talk.

Whereas his money and connections don't put him at any advantage compared to the competition in the Premier League. So I do think it's his biggest challenge, by far, to date.

November 18, 2017, 06:10:24 PM
Reply #253

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
10 million for an unproven manager is ludicrous, especially as he only has a short contract. Yeah, he won some stuff overseas, but so did Koeman. @TheRam is right, we're paying over the odds all the time now and we have nothing to show for it. Remember Leeds who did this? But at least they got to enjoy some limelight before sinking to the depths of nothingness. Where are they now?
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

November 18, 2017, 06:16:21 PM
Reply #254

Jamokachi

Granted, but we the fans are not the one who dictate prices. 10m for a manager seems very reasonable in this climate.